5.0 out of 5 stars A great point & shoot camera that practically does the work for you ..., February 27, 2014
This review is from: Olympus Stylus VG-190 Digital Camera - 5x Optical Zoom - 16mp - 720p HD Video - Black (Electronics)
I'm not a photographer, not even close. I do however need a decent point-and-shoot camera that will practically do the work for me. Perhaps you can label me lazy when it comes to reading directions, but there are a few other reasons I wanted a simple point & shoot camera. The primary reason I was interested in this camera was for the DIS mechanism that allows image stabilization. If I want to use any kind of camera I really need this feature. Otherwise I either have to use a tripod or compensate in one way or another.

Hand tremors are a big problem for me whenever I try to use any camera. I have developed several ways to minimize the problem from holding my breath to steadying my arms on a solid surface. It doesn't always work and I've taken some amount of ribbing for it. I simply tell everyone I'm doing the best I can, but now I'm doing even better. When I used the DIS mode, I was very pleased with the result. It virtually eliminated the unwelcome blur. The Olympus quickly focused and corrected each picture. I only had a couple of duds in the bunch and with digital these can instantly go into the trash can.

My first attempt was to try and see just how easy this camera was to use. I did the initial setup from the Quick Start Guide, but nothing more than that and an overnight charge. I was confident enough to take this camera on vacation to test it out. With no instruction and sans directions I was able to figure out how to work the camera. It didn't take long to become accustomed to not only the feel of the camera, but what worked best under what circumstances. I'm still on the road and will upload a video later.

A lot of the information comes up on the screen, a nice wide screen. I definitely appreciated the instant feedback I received. I knew instantly how well things were going (or not). I was able to focus in quite nicely on small things such as a gecko or birds at a distance. Operation is almost intuitive, least ways in my view. There is a function menu along the right-hand side of the screen that let me know what was going on. Here is what I was able to see at a glance:

FUNCTION MENU:

5. ISO sensitivity
6. Drive
7. Image Size
8. Aspect

The first go around I simply left the camera on Auto Mode, which worked quite well. If you are thinking or purchasing the Olympus for someone who can do little more than point & shoot, this is perfect. My video attempts weren't great initially, but I was able to improve upon them as I went along. Obviously, once I began to delve into the directions, I was able to hone my craft if you can call it that. As I went along I was thinking that this would be the perfect camera for family outings because it's so easy to work with. There's even a "Beauty Fix" mode where you can retouch a picture before you finalize it. How cool can it get? Make those selfies into works of art if you feel like it.

MODES:

* P (P Mode): Your camera will do the work here in selecting the "aperture value and shutter speed." If you select this your settings can't be changed.

* AUTO (AUTO mode): Here is where you let the camera do the talking. Every shot and conditions are "decided by the camera." Once again, if you select this your settings can't be changed.

* DIS mode: My favorite, of course. Selecting this mode
enables to user to reduce blur that is caused by camera shake and subject movement."

* BEAUTY (BEAUTY mode): You can retouch your image before finalizing it. It's a "Beauty Fix" that I'm hoping will prove to be a lot of fun to use. It's simply learning to use those up and down, back and forth buttons, and pressing the OK button.

The arrow pad is easy to work with. There are no arrows, but intuitively most people know what's up, down, right and left. It's quite easy to work with. There's and INFO imprint, an OK button, and an imprinted trash can. There's a red button to press when taking a video, a playback button (indicated by an arrow), and a MENU. Very simplistic, but that's just what a lot of people need. Easy to work with. I very much liked the video button as opposed to the method I have to use on another camera I have. It's necessary to push part way down on a button and then fully depress. I can't tell you how many times I've messed that one up!

Intimidated by any kind of technology, including a camera? Don't be. In the initial settings the camera practically points to what you need to do. For example, when you go to set your time zone, there's a map that lights up various sections of the earth. Keep hitting that arrow pad until you find a recognizable area. Then click OK. Use the up and down arrow to turn daylight saving time on or off. The Olympus has got to be the easiest point and shoot camera I've ever worked with outside of the old Vivitar where you opened up the back, dropped the film in and clicked away.

What I didn't like. There was a little chirruping-like sound, but it was more annoying than anything else. The location I was using this camera in was loaded with professional photographers and their cameras made plenty of noises. In the scheme of things, the noise was more of an annoyance than anything else. I much prefer a booklet that I have in hand. There was a Quick Start Guide, but those settings charts didn't help me at all when I was away from my computer.

Frankly, I fell in love with this camera and aside from its little quirks it's really a performer. There is a lot that can be done with the Olympus aside from the simple point and shoot, but you will need to check out that manual. For example, I found out that depending on the size of the SD/SDHC/SDXC card (4GB) I can store up to a whopping 41,340 pictures. I took only 57 on my first foray into the world of Olympus photography, but now I know there's room for more. A lot more.

WHAT'S IN THE BOX:

* Olympus Sylus VG-190 Digital Camera
* Strap
* Lithium Ion Battery (LI-50B)
* USB-AC adapter (F-2AC)
* USB cable (CB-USB7)
* OLYMPUS Setup CD-ROM

SPECS:

Camera

* Product type: Digital camera (for shooting and displaying)

* Recording system

Still pictures: Digital recording, JPEG (in accordance with Design rule for Camera File system (DCF)
Applicable standards: Exif 2.3, Digital Print Order Format (DPOF), PRINT image Matching III, PictBridge
Sound with still pictures: Wave Format
Movie: AVI Motion JPEG

* Memory" Internal memory, SD/SDHC/SDXC/Eye-Fi card

* No. of effective pixels:: 16,000,000 pixels

* Image pickup device: 1/2.3 CCD (primary color filter)

* Lens: Olympus lens 4.7 to 23.5 mm, f2.8 to 6.5

* Photometric system: Digital ESP metering, spot metering system

* Shutter speed: 2 to 1/2000 sec.

* Shooting range:
Normal: 0.2 m (0.7 ft) to ¥ (W), 0.6 m (2.0) ft.) to ¥ (T)
Super macro mode" 0.05 m (0.2 ft.) to ¥ (f=8.3 mm (fixed))

* Monitor: 3.0" TFT color LCD display, 460,800 dots

* Connector: Multi-connector (USB connector, A/V OUT jack)

* Automatic calendar system: 2000 up to 2099

OPERATING ENVIRONMENT:

* Temperature: 0° C to 40° C (32° F to 104° F (operation)/
-20° C to 60° C (-4° F to 140° F) (storage)

* Power supply: One Olympus lithium ion batter (LI-50B)

* Dimensions: 103.7 mm (W) x 62.2 mm (H) x 22.5 mm (D)
(4. x 2.4 x 0.9 in.) (including battery and card)

* Weight: 150.2 g (5.3 oz) (including battery and card)

LITHIUM ION BATTERY (LI-50B)

* Product type: Lithium ion rechargeable battery
* Model No.: LI-50BA/LI-50BB
* Standard voltage: DC 3,7 V
* Standard capacity: 925 mAh
* Battery life: Approximately 300 full charges (varies on usage)
* Operating Environment: 0° C to 40° C (32° F to 104° F (charging)

Sample provided for review.

[Add comment]