5.0 out of 5 stars REAL REVIEW, December 1, 2012
This review is from: Sony DSC-RX1/B Cyber-shot Full-frame Digital Camera (Electronics)
Too many fake reviews on here so I decided it's about time I made a real one. My background is I'm a RAW only still image shooter and I dont use fancy cameras. I have a 5D still and also an Olympus EPL1, both are pretty outdated by comparison to newer cameras. I was looking for something the size of a micro 4/3 but with the IQ of a full frame, and this is exactly what I'm looking for.

I bought this camera in Japan on 11/16 when it came out and after three weeks of shooting I have some very strong opinions about it. To start, the IQ is fantastic. Right now Lightroom is unable to handle RAW so I've been shooting JPEG, and they are fantastic. Ive uploaded numerous photos unedited straight out of the camera JPEG on flikr and people have been amazed at the quality. Second, the handling of this camera is great. There is no shutter lag and the shutter is completely silent, making it a fantastic street camera. This is really the camera I wanted and this does not disappoint.

So nothing is perfect and here are my minor gripes:
MF can sometimes be difficult without the viewfinder. I have both, but I prefer just using the LCD screen. The MF magnifier is very helpful, but sometimes it is annoying and adds a few extra seconds to move around the zoomed spot. Using the EVF makes it a breeze, but there's something about putting a camera up to your face that makes your subject know you're aiming at him. Additionally it would be nice if there were hard stops on the lens when focusing. It would be nice to feel when Ive reached infinity instead of just seeing a chunky bar move across the screen.

No threaded lens - so now I have to pony up more cash to Sony for filters. These accessories are NOT cheap!

Bright AF assist lamp - this thing is BRIGHT, almost blindingly bright. It can be disabled, but then your nighttime AF capability is drastically impaired. At night I've found myself just leaving the camera in MF mode.

Meter - I wish there was a conventional meter when using the EVF to show you how under or overexposed you are, not just a histogram and a live view image.

Battery life - I haven't run out yet during a shoot, but I've definitely had it drain down to almost nothing just by shooting a few pics here and there for a few days and playing with menu settings.

Overall this is a great camera.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2012 10:23:32 AM PST
Great review. Thank you for taking the time to write it. if you don't mind, could you please link the Flickr page with the images you took with the camera?

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 4:17:08 AM PST
G. Lee says:
Thanks for the real review. You mention no threaded lens- so how do you attach a filter to it? Is there a filter accessory that Sony will eventually sell?

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 10:28:28 AM PST
Ryan says:
I'm not sure if you have a pre release version without a lens thread or not but the pictures on the web I'm fin dinging clearly show a lens thread. 49mm.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 5:32:29 PM PST
Tseg says:
Yep. I can confirm with others that have already received the production version that it definitely has 49mm threads.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 1:55:38 AM PST
A. Wright says:
The Japanese version I have requires special filters, model numbers VF-49CPAM, VF-49MPAM, and VF-49NDAM. I cant just go out and buy a conventional threaded filter.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 6:58:35 AM PST
Juan Lin says:
I believe those model numbers are Sony's conventional threaded 49mm filters (CPL, UV "protector", ND filter respectively).

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 9:31:41 AM PST
Aphonic says:
Another confirmation. 49mm threads
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (96 customer reviews)

$2,799.99 $2,798.00