5.0 out of 5 stars I almost didn't watch it because of the negative reviews, July 15, 2014
This review is from: Noah [HD] (Amazon Instant Video)
I read all the negative reviews about this movie, and as a religious person myself, chose not to view it in theaters since I don't like people pandering the bible simply because they don't have faith. It was not until a friend rented it and encouraged me to watch it did I relent, and I figured only because it was free as I didn't want to contribute to artistic nonsense.

I knew in advance this was not going to follow the bible to the letter and that was never the issue I thought I was going to have. The issue was I felt it was going to defame and belittle the story. What surprised me was the artistic license was not tasteless or atheistic at all. There are a few scenes that may push your moral outrage to the extreme but in retrospect I believe these scenes were meant to illustrate the moral dilemma, not for spectacle.

I felt that this was a fair and creative way to express the story and true meaning of Noah. I thought the acting was controlled and well done, not goofy melodrama like so many movies. The direction and cinematography really shined. Take away the religion and cast, and story and you must acknowledge it is a beautiful film to watch. However the story ultimately is in line with the original and is not a rewrite or detour, but a modern interpretation. I have come to realize through this film that people who believe their interpretation and historic portrayals of the bible are the only possible interpretation do their religion a disservice and don't trust in it's ability to illuminate in unique ways.

I didn't think Noah was simply an enraged misanthrope as has been accused in this film, but genuinely was vexed about how and why he should carry out Gods will. After all why would God destroy almost ALL of mankind, you don't think even a messiah would question that? The moral dilemmas are realistic and compelling. I felt a greater appreciation both for my own free will and the ultimate power of God after this movie.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 16, 2014 12:54:54 PM PDT
J. Blilie says:
"I read all the negative reviews about this movie, and as a religious person myself, chose not to view it in theaters"

Good thing you got over that. Refusing to listen to any contrary opinions to your own is intellectual death.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2014 8:03:22 AM PDT
Thanks for the review. I have been hesitant to watch it and was just about to not even give it a view after all the negative comments. I'm going to watch it and leave my own review.

Posted on Jul 23, 2014 9:24:50 AM PDT
nesto says:
The average rating here at Amazon is 2 and half (as I write this). I couldn't tell if the movie really is bad, or did the movie make a lot of religious people angry.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2014 9:28:47 AM PDT
That's what I'm thinking. With the plethora of religious viewpoints, even within the Christian church, it's not surprising that there would be so many mixed reviews. I pre-ordered the blue ray so I can make my own opinion. Once I watch it, I'll make a post.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2014 10:19:56 AM PDT
wyatt1 says:
Religion is man made god is about faith who would get mad about a freaking movie that no one in this time know any thing about trust in god not religion

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2014 10:23:46 AM PDT
Indeed :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2014 1:49:52 PM PDT
R.A.W. says:
Exactly my thoughts!!

Posted on Jul 27, 2014 8:58:10 AM PDT
Equiis says:
Thank you for this thoughtful review. So much of what you have written presents the points I often articulate to those who have not seen it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2014 9:06:36 AM PDT
cnh46 says:
I don't know about your movie review however, your thoughts speak volumes about the american educational system.........

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2014 9:23:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2014 9:23:30 AM PDT
FS says:
As a former teacher, I think the system is flawed much less than the lack of importance families place on the pursuit of knowledge. Very few people have homes where they're encouraged to strive for great grades through subjects that challenge them. Humans don't like to be challenged which might be why this movie is so hard for many people to watch. It's difficult to take one of the most important biblical figures and portray him as a human instead of the myth he has become. Easier to accept what preachers and ministers have fed people their whole lives on who Noah was.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.4 out of 5 stars (3,480 customer reviews)
 (1,582)