Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the translation advertised [fixed], November 16, 2012
This review is from: Les Miserables (A Penguin Classics Hardcover) (Hardcover)
Instead of being the Donougher translation, as advertised, the text in this edition is that of the earlier Penguin translation by Norman Denny. This may disappoint some buyers, but as all I was looking for was a nice, hardcover edition of this fantastic novel (which happens to be my absolute favorite), I was very satisfied. The cover is very nice, and the pages are light, thin and smooth, as I tend to enjoy best. There is a very nice silk bookmark in between the pages, just as the other recent Penguin Classics editions have included.

Five stars for the book itself, and the quality of this edition, but I have to subtract one for not being the new translation that was being advertised. I heard that the Donouhger translation was simply not ready for press, so the Denny translation was substituted. If this is the case, I can forgive it, but Amazon ought to have updated their information before release.

EDIT: This information has since been rectified. Amazon low lists the book as being the Norman Denny translation.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2012 11:57:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 11:58:46 PM PST
Daniel says:
Patricia, I would demand my money back--that's false advertising! :) Of course, I think the Denny translation is very forceful and poetic, but that ain't what you ordered. ;)

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 8:11:09 PM PST
You have got to be kidding! I just finished reading the Denny translation, and while that's good, I BOUGHT this, because it was advertised as a NEW translation. When this book arrives, if its NOT a new translation, I will be furious.....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 9:07:17 PM PST
Sam says:
To get "revenge," all you have to do is dispute the charge with your credit-card company. Then you'll have a free hardcover Denny version too! :)

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 1:00:35 PM PST
M. Iorio says:
Hi, I'm new to the classics and never thought to look at some of the translations until recently and I am so happy to see your review. I wondered why the delivery/release date had kept changing. Needless to say I received my copy this morning and sure enough it is the Norman Denny translation. Not the one as advertised. Now I need to go check all my classics to see if I missed any other incorrect translations. Although, as I see one person commented here that this was an easier translation I'm still shocked that the delivery was held up three times.......waiting from the pre-order I placed......still got the incorrect book. I absolutely Love the penguin cloth bound books and Amazon has been amazing to me for so long so I cannot possibly get upset and I'm sincerely grateful to have books when times are tough and others don't even have food (no pun intended in relation to the book). Les Mis is amazing so I was so excited to see it pop up in this format. With that said, I am highly surprised they still allowed the incorrect version to be mailed out. Also, the binding is not nearly as sturdy as the other cloth bound books I have. That's just a heads up for anyone considering this book who may be bothered by that. The front cover has one small area where the red paint/imprint is worn off as well. Thank you for pointing out the translation error as now I will always keep my attention to these details. As I said I am new to the classics so your review taught me something new to look out for. Now, what to do? Hmmmm....... Thank you again and I hope it all gets worked out for you as I'm sure I'm not the only one who was thrilled to pieces to see Les Mis come out in the cloth bound. Take care and Happy Holiday's :)

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 1:41:22 PM PST
Patricia,
You may be criticizing Amazon for somethong that is not their fault. Penquin may have sent out a different translation with them being aware of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 6:46:25 PM PST
M. Iorio says:
@Kevin Excellent point!! Seriously, as I stated above regarding my Love for Amazon, errors happen and I'm sincerely just happy to have the book. The penguin cloth bound books are so nice and old/new translation doesn't matter to me as long as I can understand it being new to the classics. No big deal, IMO. Amazon is awesome and with SO many books some things are bound to have errors. In my experience, Amazon has always and without fail helped to resolve any issues quickly and easily as I'm sure they'll do the same here for anyone who doesn't want this translation. As for me, I Love it and am keeping the one that I got. :) Take care!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 1:00:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 1:07:31 AM PST
Sam says:
This is not directed at any particular poster in this discussion, but I can't believe that any consumer would let Amazon or another company walk all over them by sending them what they didn't order. As for this "not being their fault," of course it's their fault. If Amazon didn't realize it was the wrong translation, then there's something wrong with their quality control!

Anyway, Amazon is always free to pay for return shipping and refund your purchase price--or just let you keep the book for free. But if Amazon balks, then I would dispute the charge with my credit card company pronto, and, voila, you'll have a nice free book! :)

If anyone who bought this book feels taken advantage of yet does absolutely nothing about it, then unfortunately they've got no one to blame but themselves.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 1:37:30 AM PST
M. Iorio says:
Well, I believe it was made perfectly clear to whom that message was to so let me just reiterate. I'm sure Amazon will take care of the issue for anyone who chooses to return or replace their item. I have not let 'anyone' walk all over me. I simply made a decision based on the fact that as of ten months ago my daughters and I lost every single thing we owned and I am still recovering from a near death situation all from my former residence. While trying to rebuild an entire life as a single mother who cannot work, facing christmas with no gifts for my children, Amazon is the 'only' company who has without fail helped us with ease, exceptional kindness and support.

Then I look at the wars we're in, the Hurricane that just wiped out my coast line of a lifetime of memories and think......I'm okay with this. It's a book!! I 'chose' to keep it because things could be worse. So before anyone says or judges that I'm "letting someone walk all over me" please realize you do not know another persons reason until you are in their shoes. As for anybody else as I said Amazon is exceptional at fixing issues like this and if a missed description of such a small thing is the biggest problem anyone has to face than I call them lucky. Amazon has been my piece of mind and place to go while trying to rebuild a life taken. If I had a major issue over something so shallow than I would have called Amazon and said I got the wrong translation and would like a refund or replacement. But, from my point of view, there are bigger things I must deal with. Judging without knowing is ignorance at its best or worst however you want to look at it. People complaining so harshly.......over a book in these reviews is ridiculous in my personal opinion. When you've lost everything you appreciate everything even more. If others don't want it then send it back. I'm choosing with full knowledge to keep this edition because, God knows I do not need a shred more anguish in my life let alone the burden of returning a perfectly fine and Beautiful book.

Please excuse typos, improper grammar or punctuation, as I'm typing this from my phone while bedridden. To each his/her own. I made my decision by what is more important to me and everyone else here can choose their options as they wish. Does not mean I let Amazon walk all over me. When I had a bigger issue with a product that is part of helping my illness relief (a heated blanket as my body doesn't warm itself as well anymore if you really need to know) I did call Amazon and they handled and fixed the issue immediately for me. Pick my battles as I have the strength.

Have a Beautiful Day, Sam. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 10:54:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 10:56:25 PM PST
M. Iorio,

Thanks for your response. In spite of what you may believe, my post was not directed to you or anyone else in particular. :) I did address the issue of this whole thing "not being Amazon's fault," which was brought up by Kevin, but my message was just a general one.

If you're happy with the book, then by all means you should keep it. But why should Amazon make a profit off something they bungled? That's rewarding bad behavior. If you reward bad behavior in a child, they eventually become a monster. If nothing else, Amazon should be taught a lesson so that they won't do this kind of thing again in the future. Even if you do not feel like you're letting Amazon walk all over you, you're letting them get away with something they should not get away with IMO. But to each his own. As far as picking one's battles, doesn't it take just as much energy to write posts on here as it does to tell Amazon they made a mistake? ;)

I'm very sorry for all the hardship you're going through. I definitely hope things look up for you and your daughters. And I'm glad you made Amazon fix the issue with your electric blanket at least. :)

Hope your holiday season will be one of peace and rest.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 4:18:39 PM PST
I didn't dispute it because what I wanted was a nice hardcover edition of Les Misérables, and that's what I got. I've never read the Denny before this edition, and I'm enjoying it. I see no reason to make a problem of it. I just felt I needed to let everyone know that the information was incorrect.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›