An Amazon.com official commented on the review belowSee comments
2.0 out of 5 stars Kill Shot: Not his best work, February 9, 2012
This review is from: Kill Shot: An American Assassin Thriller (Mitch Rapp Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I was a little hesitant to purchase this due to the less than stellar reviews but Flynn's previous entry in the series, "American Assassin" also received mixed reviews and was very enjoyable so I took the plunge. Unfortunately, not only is most of this book mediocre, I felt cheated on the price. Don't be fooled by the length of the book - the story ends at 72% in. The rest of the 28% is excerpts from every other Vince Flynn book. The end result is a book I was able to finish in a few hours. I definitely expected more bang for my buck and feel cheated by the publisher and author.

As a previous reviewer stated, the plot was less than riveting and some parts of the plot just seem contrived and predictable because the author was at a loss how to move the story forward. The ending was rushed and abruptly dropped the entire story leaving me with a "that's it?" feeling. It feels like the Mitch Rapp series has met it's end and I will probably not be buying the next book unless it has stellar reviews.

stem
An Amazon.com official commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Mar 2, 2012 10:40:50 AM PST
Based on customer feedback, we have worked with the author and publisher to make available a new version of this book. You can get this new version by going to the Manage Your Kindle page at http://amazon.com/MYKupdate. Find the book in your Kindle Library and click on the "update available" link next to the book's title. Within 5 minutes, any of your devices that have the eBook currently downloaded and have an active wireless connection will be updated automatically.

Please take a moment to read the following letter from Vince Flynn:

Dear Mitch Rapp fans,

I would like to apologize for some of the confusion that occurred for those of you who read Kill Shot in the digital format. We thought readers would enjoy being able to read excerpts from all of my backlist, but as it turns out, we've heard otherwise from many of you.

All of this free material was counted as part of the book and led readers to believe they still have 29% of the book left to read when in fact Kill Shot has just ended. Managing your expectations is something I take very seriously, and I understand your frustration. If I was on a plane and I thought I was only two thirds of the way through a book and it abruptly ended I would be very disappointed.

We heard you and we fixed this. I appreciate your patience on the matter and I apologize for any disappointment or frustration that it has caused.

Sincerely,
Vince Flynn

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 11, 2012 6:37:21 PM PST
As a big Vince Flynn fan, I hate to agree, but must. The editor should never have let this be published.

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 3:01:03 AM PST
REDDOG says:
I agree...this book was a bummer and wandered all over the map. Flynn must be burning out. Dan schooler sr. Rupert ga.

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 4:33:34 PM PST
I know that Vince Flynn has been ill, but this book was obviously shortened to meet time lines.
Very disappointing. Definitely not worth the money.

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 7:13:23 PM PST
Bucksix says:
I keep seeing this 73% mentioned. Is that the Kindle? I have the hard back and the story itself is 385 pages, and there are no excerpts from previous works in it. Perhaps the meanest thing we can do to an author is to expect him to compete with himself. This was not the best book in the series, but even the worst Vince Flynn is better than 90% of the others' best.

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 5:23:04 AM PST
" The ending was rushed and abruptly dropped the entire story leaving me with a "that's it?" feeling. "

My feelings exactly!

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 8:44:02 AM PST
Unfortunately, the publisher rushed to publish while the writer was incapacitated with a severe condition. The ending was not at all in keeping with previous Mitch Rapp's endings. Very disappointing, but understandable considering the circumstances. As stated previously, Flynn is better than over 90% of the other writers out there. Brad Thor ans Stephen Hunter are good alternatives. Still looking forward to the next release.

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 11:01:28 AM PST
I agree this book was very disappointing. His past work kept ones interest through out the book. This book was all over the place very hard to keep in touch with what was going on. I ordered it on my kindle and was glad I was able to return it. I don't know why and author of his caliber would write something such as this

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 4:23:51 PM PST
That is exactly how I felt! What a rip off! Characters just drop off to never be heard of again! Talk about bilking the public!

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 7:55:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2012 7:56:26 AM PST
I was so looking forward to this book and am sad to report that I was toroughly disappointed. Did learn one thing though...read the reviews, they hit the shortcomings of this book right on the head.

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 11:46:37 AM PST
Carol Lillis says:
i am also a Vince Flynn fan and enjoyed the book until the abrupt ending. It felt very hurried and I wonder if the author's illness prompted this sudden closure or someone else finished this book for him. I could not believe it was over and that there was really no closure on the plot and the main characters. It was very disappointing! I will continue to look forward to his books but hope this is not a pattern.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›