5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY!! A Gillan DVD really worth having!!, December 6, 2008
This review is from: Ian Gillan: The Glory Years (DVD)
Being a long-time Deep Purple fan, I followed the various members through their various post DP projects and was also fortunate to see most of them live. But I never got to see Gillan (who happens to be my all time favorite singer) solo, mainly because he never came to the South, at least at a time and place that I could get to. Which is a real shame because the Bernie Torme' line-up of Gillan is right up there with the Dio era Rainbow as my favorite post-Purple project. So it's too bad I never got to see Colin Towns, Bernie Torme', John McCoy and Mick Underwood!!

I was quite excited when the Live in Edinburgh 1980 DVD came out in 2006 but it was really just because I was finally able to see video of my favorite Gillan line-up. After the newness wore off I was really somewhat disappointed. After all it was only 5 songs and the final track, No Easy Way, was ruined by having the credits start 2/3 of the way through (I HATE that) and the song cut off early, it didn't even finish!! There were 3 more so called "archive footage" tracks, but they were horrible, not even worthy of being called bootlegs!!

So I was quite excited when I saw that this was to be released, especially after reading what all was on it and George's review (surprised his is still the only review on here.....we gotta get the word out about this DVD!!) And, unlike Live in 1980 - THIS DVD DELIVERS!! An 8 song mini-concert including Mutually Assured Destruction, No Easy Way (all of it), On The Rocks, and the superb Mr. Universe, one of my favorite Gillan songs, from ANY line-up! And, being from a professionally filmed concert, the video and sound is excellent, with the sound available in DTS or Dolby 5.1!!

There are also 6 bonus videos from European TV (German and BBC) including two more of my favorites: Sleeping on the Job and the always fun No Laughing in Heaven. And another Mutually Assured Destruction, this one from Top of the Pops. And a funny fact is, although it says "Live on the BBC", No laughing in Heaven is definitely lip-synching (say it ain't so Gillan!). Torme' had left the band and they obviously had to play the show before they could find a replacement so at least McCoy strapped on a double neck 6-string guitar/bass. And to try and at least make the "fake" look good he plays the bass during the verses and the guitar during the chorus and tries to fake Torme's solo best he can! BUT......in a "lip-synching sucks" protest, the instrument clearly ISN'T PLUGGED IN!!! And it does sound suspiciously like the mix from the 45 single and I DEFINITELY hear both bass and guitar! But that's a small gripe that in no way lessens my enjoyment of watching them perform a song I have heard hundreds of times over the past 25 years. And it's pretty funny too if you think about it.

And, speaking of McCoy - during the live concert - at first I thought "never seen him with hair", then the camera showed the other side and.....he'd shaved HALF his head!! Crazy!

In fact, about the only draw back is that both versions of Mutually Assured Destruction are the single version, neither one is the live extended version featured on the album Double Trouble, which is one of Torme's better solos. But, then again, that's the only place that has that version of M.A.D. (that I know of) so you'd only know it if you had the Double Trouble album. At least the concert version on this DVD gives him an extra 20-30 seconds to jam at the end.

Long winded bottom line - ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL for any fan of Gillan or Deep Purple. So what are you waiting for?!?!?!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 28, 2008 3:08:34 PM PST
Ian, was the only singer that I ever saw in concert that could blow-out a PA system with a scream. He was as powerful as a 707 in the seventies and eighties. He is a true rock star {and so is Ritchie} that is the reason, Ritchie wanted Ian out of Purple, Ritchie wanted to be DP, and he didn't want to share the limelight with Ian. Deep Purple, was one of the bands {along with early Mott The Hoople and The Who} that kept me alive in the teenaged wasteland, I owe him a lot!
This man is Rock 'N' Roll, at about 200% !!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2009 3:03:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 11:10:07 AM PDT
JP says:
For some reason I am just now seeing this, almost a month later.

I have only seen 2 singers that had Ian's power live.

One, of course, was Freddie Mercury, the only person I ever saw do a VOCAL solo. Not singing - just making sound effects and playing with his voice.

The other is Tool/A Perfect Circle's Maynard James Keenan.

But there are many, many who come REAL close - Coverdale, Plant (especially 73-75), Geoff Tate, and THE most underrated singer I know of - Faith No More's Mike Patton. He was so weird, with all those cartoon and dramatic voices he used to do, that you RARELY heard his real power. But man - when you did.........................
‹ Previous 1 Next ›