Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Cecile McLorin Salvant UP3 $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event STEM Toys & Games

1.0 out of 5 stars I feel that Bioware is slowly weaning me off their games..., March 17, 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dragon Age 2 - PC (Video Game)
I'm not sure if anyone else shares this opinion, but I just feel that Bioware RPGs are becoming less and less RPGish with time. I still think that NVWN and KOTOR are some of the best RPGs ever made. DAO and Mass Effect are also great games. But it seems that the games are progressively becoming worse with every new installment. Their games are just turning into carbon copies of eachother, simplest example is to look at the characters between ME2 and DAOII. Is there really a difference between Tali and Merril? Its almost same exact storylines but the names are different... to me that just shows laziness.

As far as this game goes, the few things that really bothered me:
1. Why cant it have been set in the same place immediately after the blight? It would have been very interesting to play a game where some sort of power struggle among the survivors to be a central issue, and involving the Wardens... how they could make a DA game without wardens is beyond me.

2. Dont think that there is a map to travel in, or different cities to visit, its ONE city with different quarters that are more or less the same. I felt that I played the same maps OVER AND OVER AND OVER, dungeons are mostly identical and very repetitive down to the foes you face and the location you face them in. I can count on one hand the different types of enemies... 90% of what you kill is spiders, one or two kind of deamons and skeletons, and maybe some humans who ALL dress the same out in the city nights. The game made me feel very clausterphobic, I felt cooped up inside the walls of this one city, with very little variation in scenery. There is no travel or a camp where all your companions can be located. I had to constantly jump from one companion home to another to interact with.

3. Loot was the worst, your companions wear their own armor so that means if you were a warrior, you will vendor 80% of the armor you find and you will never know what it looks like because your companions dont wear it! There was really no quests in the game for any sort of special armor or weapon, I changed my armor a grand total of 3 times during the 38 hours of gametime, it went like this: Dragon armor (same one you get in the first one) to Stone-something or other set then to Champion armor... I vendored everything else that I found. There is no smith in the game, (or none that I found) which is amazing to me that a city that HUGE has no damn shops in it, everything you buy from stalls. So there is absolutely no custom crafting in the game.

4. Characters: They used the same formula of character interaction as the expansion, you cant really interact with your characters other than when you are ALLOWED to interact with them. Most of the time I didn't want to interact because I honestly hated every follower. Their personalities were thin, predictable and uninteresting. There is no Leliana to sing you a sweet song, no Morrigan to break your heart, no Allistair to annoy you, yes, I actually missed Allistair (and I would have had him killed if I had an option in the first game). They also effectively killed the romance aspect of the game, which is a shame but no big loss if they compensated for it with some interesting interactions, in which they did not.

5. The combat was stupidly simplified... I literally activated 4-5 things during combat and had 2 sustained abilities on... THATS IT. Answer this for me please... why cant a warrior duel wield?

6. The ending was completely unmemorable... the Sopranos has a more meaningful ending than this game. Unlike DAO, there was no list of consequences to your actions, so whatever decisions you made in the game, you will just have to guess as to the outcome.

There are many other things that was wrong with this game, Im sure someone here mentioned some of them.

I have no interest in buying any DLC for this game, because no matter how much glitter you put on a piece of crap, its still crap. I don't feel that any DLC will add anything of value to it.

I am so disappointed that its actually upsetting and I wont make the mistake of buying Bioware games on release dates (like I usually do) from now on.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 18, 2011 6:16:12 PM PDT
I was going to write a review but you covered everything I wanted to say. I'm terribly disappointed in this game.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2011 9:08:44 PM PDT
Dan Dean says:
Kick ass review... I was similarly in love with the first game, and could truly see myself suffering the same frustrations with the problems you've listed. I'm shocked that PC Gamer gave it a 94. I'd love to hear your reaction to that review, or perhaps they are just on crack?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2011 8:11:57 PM PDT
bryssa says:
@ Daniel Dean

PC Gamer was given a "world first." World first always, always translates into a positive, paid-for review. With that in mind the review makes complete sense.

Posted on Mar 21, 2011 2:10:29 AM PDT
Lotus Scrum says:
I only hope Mass Effect 3 holds up unlike this sad excuse for a sequel. I figured when I got to the end it was only the middle of the game....ughh

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2011 4:00:23 PM PDT
Ray says:
A fair score for this game for an average gamer shouldn't exceed 70. That doesn't mean that for me its worth 3 stars out of 5, I'm not an average gamer, I love Bioware as much as I loved Black Isle and I expected greatness from them.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2011 11:04:44 AM PDT
Then ending is soooooo ishtyy...when I beat the ol lady I thought 'ok I think my guys are at a good place, dps-wise, I keep this up and I should be ok for the next chapter...*cue end-game credits* WTH?
What's worse, they give you absolutely no indication the end is coming up, like they did for the DarkRoad expedition.

Posted on Mar 29, 2011 1:32:31 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 29, 2011 1:37:50 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 13, 2011 1:48:14 PM PDT
RPGee Wiz says:
You are not alone! I like Rpgs. Even though mass effect was a little convoluted in some areas and a little rough, I enjoyed the game a lot! I'm like the only guy who is sad that they made the second one the way they did. Everyone just has to try and rake in that garbage general audience now so they can afford the stupid graphics in their games. The minute something goes mainstream, it goes ruined. This is basically what I am starting to learn.

Posted on Apr 27, 2011 10:50:22 AM PDT
Bioware has made some great games and are my favorite company. Unlike most other developers, they have done a mostly good job of balancing the needs of consoles with the demands of PC-players. But I hear what you are saying and thanks for the review- I think I will pass on this game and wait to see the reviews on the upcoming Mass Effect 3.

Posted on May 13, 2011 11:45:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2011 11:48:46 PM PDT
Bioware has finally lived up to their company's title..EA should be proud of neutering yet ANOTHER classic gaming co/series..I hereby pledge to not "Purchase" anything from EA/Bioware! From BG I-II Torment, to Dragon age II, what a tragic end to an incredible run..Oh well, at least we still have European Rpgs and BethSoft/Obsidian! ;^) Thanks for the review because of you I won't be wasting my money on this dreck!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›