5.0 out of 5 stars Sorels are the best!, February 21, 2013
This review is from: Sorel Women's Joan Of Arctic Boot (Shoes)
This review is to dispel some of the unnecessary negative comments regarding Sorel boots and particularly the Joan of Artic.

Let me set the record strait for all of you fashion boot people. Sorels are SNOW BOOTS. They will not fit like fashion boots. They aren't designed to hold onto your heel tightly. They are designed to fit more like a cowboy boot. There will be a natural slip in the heel. That being said, I wouldn't say that they are the most comfortable boot to walk in for extended periods of time, but I'd trade a little slip in the heel any day for warm dry feet. You just need to get used to their fit. Years ago I sold shoes professionally and also bought my own pair of Sorels. They are 16 years old and still look great and, although in slight need of a new liner, function just as well as the day I bought them. In addition, they are the best boots I have ever had and they are the warmest boots I have ever owned.

I bought the Joan of arctic boots because I couldn't find my old trusty sorels. They become lost in the attic... I found them too late. The others were already in the mail. I wasn't willing to go without a pair of Sorels in our snowy climate. I must say that I was skeptical of the quality as they are now made in China instead of Canada. Well, I know quality when I see it and these Joan of Artic boots seem just as well made as my others that are 16 years old.

THE FIT: Well, they are a bit more generous than my previous sorels. I am a true 8 and these fit perfect in length ( a tad longer than my previous). However, they are wide. My foot isn't narrow, but it's not exactly wide either. So, for those with narrow feet, these boots would be swimming on you. For those who like them and want to compensate for the extra room, take an extra insole or some hemp material and sew yourself some extra padding to take up some of the extra room. Place the padding underneath the liner or sew or glue it to the bottom of the liner so it doesn't shift.

We live in snow country up in the Northeast. And the boots are warm. I would know. Some people put too many layers on their feet. It only traps in the coldness or the sweat from their feet. I don't have sweaty feet. I wear one pair of warm socks and it's adequate. If you are standing in a snowbank for three hours, like anything, you will eventually become cold. If you're moving around, you're not going to be cold. If you are, then you need to see a doctor because you either have poor circulation or Raynaud's disease.

These particular boots I would not recommend for the elderly. They are too heavy. Most sorels are heavier, but I would suggest choosing a shorter sorel to eliminate the extra weight and bulk for someone who is elderly.

The traction of these boots is just like any other boot. If you expect them to grip onto the ice, well, then I challenge you to find any other "snow boot" that will do that. Come on, People? Do you expect the tires on your car to grip the ice?

My only minor downside to these new sorels is the lace. It is a nice quality lace, but it's very slick and a bit tough to tighten the boots to my desired tightness. I did manage to do it, but I wonder if they cold make the lace a little less slick.

Sorel, as always, keep up the good work. Your boots are incredible and I will always be a loyal customer to a company who serves quality. Sorels are worth every penny.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2013 10:53:32 PM PST
Amanda says:
Would you recommend waterproofing the suede? How do you keep it clean?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2013 6:37:14 PM PST
Anna says:
I was also wondering how to take care of suede. http://www.wikihow.com/Protect-Suede-Boots This seemed pretty straight forward on what to do/avoid with suede.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2013 7:20:10 PM PST
Luv2bholm says:
I suppose that is up to your discretion, but it would probably be mostly for appearance as the leather on mine is full grain, very thick and not susceptible to easy leaks by any stretch. Snow hasn't done a thing to my boots, although salt may leave a mark over time, to which I would lightly wet and use a suede brush to restore the nap. The nap is pretty hardy on my pair. If you don't have a suede brush a dry terry cloth towel may work as well.

Posted on Nov 22, 2014 9:58:57 AM PST
lilae says:
I have Raynaud's. It's pretty common. That's why I wear Sorels.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (876 customer reviews)

$150.00 $139.99 - $249.99