5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to explore the history of minifigure in Lego, November 8, 2013
This review is from: LEGO Minifigure Year by Year: A Visual History (Hardcover)
How hard as it can be possible there was a time when Lego came without minifigures! (Yes I am that old). My first Lego box I got when we were staying in France for a month or so as my dad was finishing a training in his work expertise. We were living in Lyon during Christmas time and that's when I got a box of Lego figures - the Lego Family building figures. The year was 1974.

Then there were the hospital kit with its faceless figures and at the end of the 1970s, the minifigures got a face and new designs. I had the Snack Bar box as well as the house one which combines the older family figures with a minifigure for the baby in the house.

I lost track of the progress of Lego figures and minifigures through the years as I was in high school and university. But I still had my old Lego bricks when I got married and was looking forward to let my kids play with them when they would be old enough. Nowadays, my kids are respectively 12, 9, almost 8 and almost 6 and they love playing with my old Lego bricks as well as their own which has joined the stacks of bricks.

In this interesting book, you and your child can discover the history of the minifigures and learn some interesting facts at the same time. The table of contents is specifically set up to bring you through the years and present you the various minifigures that were part of Lego sets: Introduction on minifigures, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, and 2010s.

What can you learn from this book? Well let me ask you some questions... Why are minifigures traditionally yellow? Do minifigures ever have noses? Which are the rarest minifigures? This book will answer these questions and many more. It is packed with numerous photos of minifigures and you will be able to read the profile of more the 2000 minifigures and other Lego characters. It contains facts, statistics, and much more. At the beginning of the book, you will be able to read about how minifigures came to life, see various concepts from the beginning years, learn more about why the size is important and what are the various parts of a minifigure, see how they are designed and made, and explore a timeline of how they became what they are today. The timeline itself is fascinating as I discovered some figures that I didn't know Lego made like the Bellville figures in 1994 or the Lego Technic figure in 1986.

The best part is that the book comes with three minifigures inserted in the cover of the book - one Lego city, one Stromtrooper, and one thief.

Every time my kids stumbled on one of these book they always check out the minifigures through time. I expect that they will dig into this book and learn quite a bit about minifigure. I wouldn't be surprise whatsoever that they will start pouring their knowledge on us adults when we have supper together. That's what happened after they read on of the other theme books from DK that was Star Wars related... *grin*

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]