2.0 out of 5 stars Just got it, no Google Play, but Netflix can be installed. UPDATE Included!, October 30, 2012
This review is from: Coby Kyros 7-Inch Android 4.0 4 GB Internet Tablet 16:9 Capacitive Multi-Touch Widescreen, Black MID7036-4 (Personal Computers)
Just got it today, so I am giving it a 4 star (sadly last update Jan 2013, I had to reduce 2 stars from my review) and will update this review as I use it. Here goes...

I was eye balling the new Ipad (yeah, I am all things Mac), but honestly could not justify the $500+ (already have a macbook air that I can slip in my bag) for simply needing a tablet that can stream Netflix and perhaps some kids apps. My daughter loves watching Curious George, hence I needed a reasonable tablet that can keep her busy while visiting my workshop.

I got this after reading the reviews for Coby Kyros MID7015 Coby Kyros MID7015 7-Inch Android Internet Touchscreen Tablet - Black - so I knew many had said no Netflix (because there is no Google Play for this little guy), but I took a gamble (after reading that some people found a way around the no Google Play issue) and ordered the new version (MID7036-4) anyhow.

Connecting to wireless was a breeze, the MID7036-4 comes with an app called GetJar, which will allow you to download many of the apps I was looking for, such as Netflix. However I went ahead and downloaded 1mobile (dot) com and downloaded Netflix, Angry Birds with ease. I used GetJar to download some puzzles and kids educational apps for my daughter.

Netflix has been working without any issues and so did the Angry Birds (ahem, for me!). I have to admit, I was sure it was heading right back, but there is a way around no Google Play.

Wanted to do a quick review for people in my shoes, looking for a compact tablet that was reasonable and was for Netflix etc...

Please note that this is not an Ipad (or similar high end tablet) equivalent as far as resolution goes, but it is perfect for my needs. resolution is good enough, the touch screen is very reactive and functions great, the size is just right and has fit my Kindle Touch cover with ease.

I will post more as I use it. Hope this helps :)

Small Update / Nov 2nd, 2012
1. The battery life is about 2-3 hours while using Netflix.
2. Connects to 2.4G but not to 5G band on my router.
3. Connects to my Macbook Air and allows me to drag and drop music, photos with ease.

Update / Nov 20th, 2012
1. Connects to my Windows (Sony laptop + other desktop) and I can drag movies and photos with ease.
2. Can download Kindle reader from 1mobile(dot)com and read my kindle books (attaching images on the product for you all).
3. GetJar app that this comes w does not have a lot of the apps I can get from Amazon or 1mobile
4. Can add the tablet to my Amazon account and use the Kindle Fire apps.
5. Can set parental control w/ the Android Parental Control app.

Update / Nov 24th 2012
1. Installed Amazon Appstore, nice addition to my Imobile app store.
2. Email set up: Was a breeze, I clicked email icon and entered my gmail address and followed the screen instructions. Email synced and works great.
3. Downloaded Youtube app from Imobile (looked for it under the Amazon Appstore, but could not find it). Installed Youtube and it works great.
4. Can open PDF files w/ Adobe Reader that is already installed in this tablet. There is also Office Suite in this tablet.

Next up, testing the battery life for Kindle books :)

Update / January 4, 2013 (Down 2 stars!)
1. Kindle book battery life time is about 3 hours.
2. The power jack (dc input) socket on the tablet is fragile, awkward and flimsy at best. It needs a light hand to plug the power adaptor (in order to charge). If you allow your youngster they may break this when pushing the power adaptor in. Knowing what I know about this tablet's flimsy power jack socket, I'd not be able to suggest this tablet whole heartedly (unless you have buyers protection w/ your credit card, like I did, and can get an easy refund incase yours breaks under 90 days).

COBY, how could you skimp on the power jack socket? Not cool at all! :/

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 17 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 106 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 30, 2012 8:04:42 PM PDT
JC says:
How can I get around no Google Play? I'm trying to download an app for the Square Card Reader? Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 8:10:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2012 8:10:50 PM PDT
Lara says:
What is the name of the app?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 8:47:54 PM PDT
Lara says:
I just went 1mobile site and searched for Square card reader and here are the apps relating to that -- hope this helps. http://www.1mobile.com/search.php?keywords=Square+Card+Reader

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 11:24:02 AM PDT
so is this 1mobile.com the only way to get apps?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 12:43:38 PM PDT
Lara says:
Not sure how many other ways, but I have tried 1mobile and the app that this unit came with (which is GetJar). I have downloaded Pandora, Netflix and use them with ease. If there are apps that are very specific to you, you may want to search these sources to see if they are available to you. For $91, I felt it was worth the trouble though :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 1:10:54 PM PDT
Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 2:02:04 PM PDT
Sure anytime :-)

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 10:57:50 PM PST
A. Johnson says:
Do you know if you are able to put songs and videos on from your personal library with the SD card or do you have to download them to the device? I know you stated that you could drag and drop with Macbook but I wanted to make sure it would work with a PC as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:01:21 AM PST
Lara says:
Let me try it w/ my sony laptop + windows desktop today and get back to you :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:18:11 AM PST
Lara says:
Ok - I tried and it was equally easy. I plug it in and follow the screen options and turn on USB options, it opens right up in my PC and I am able to copy and paste pictures and video (as well as music). I click gallery to access the pictures and videos and the videos play directly from the gallery view. Totally awesome, now I am going to put all the Diego videos I have for my daughter so that she can have this in the car at times I need to *just* focus on the traffic ;)

I am putting some pictures up on the Amazon descriptions. Let me know if you have any other questions :-)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›