4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best TV but maybe the best value., June 8, 2012
This review is from: Samsung PN51E530 51-Inch 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV (Black) (2012 Model) (Electronics)
Rather than listing the many pros, I'll just list the cons as I see them...

Sharpness on the low side for a plasma, and boosting the sharpness produces artifacts.
Color Tone presets favor the cool side. Warm 2 (the warmest choice) is actually neutral on better sets.
When black levels are set to get deep blacks, shadow detail is nearly completely lost.
Highlight detail is not as good as other plasmas and very blown out compared to good LCD/LED sets.
Significant trailing and some ghosting despite the claimed 600hz refresh rate.
Color booming at times, especially reds.
And this is a strange one and my biggest gripe...
Whenever there is a picture that is predominately bright or white, the entire picture goes to a dim, flat gray. This is really annoying and I've never seen this before in any set. Does anyone else notice this?

UPDATE:
Just wanted to mention that I bought this TV from amazon when it was $850. It's currently $630 and at this price it's a steal! I have changed my rating to 4 stars due to this price reduction.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 18, 2012 11:18:40 AM PDT
J. Tyrrell says:
Check for settings on the Eco sensor.

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 2:02:52 PM PDT
I got this tv recently and I agree with what you said about white screens looking grey. Did you figure anything out to make it look better?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 2:14:46 PM PDT
No I haven't. I have all Eco and Dynamic settings turned off and it still happens. Samsung does not reply to emails.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 2:15:56 PM PDT
Damn, that sucks. Even when i turn the brightness all the way up it doesn't seem to make a difference.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2012 3:39:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2012 3:39:34 PM PDT
Synthaholic says:
Should this gray picture be a deal-killer for me? I was getting ready to buy one. The lack of customer service is also making me wonder if I should pass.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2012 3:58:47 PM PDT
It's up to you but if I knew it was going to be like this I would've made a different choice. It also depends on the content you watch. For movies, the issue is almost an non issue, and in most TV it's also not a huge problem except for the scene type I mentioned above. Interestingly, the most common content that this occurs with is with commercials, which often contain scenes or text clips that have a bright white background.
Update: Samsung finally got back to me (after I sent them another email forwarding them a link to this comment thread here on amazon) and they basically said that this "rare phenomenon" is a limitation of the tv in that it can only produce a limited amount of overall brightness and in scenes that demand an overall brightness that is beyond that limitation, the overall picture then appears dimmer than expected. They explain that this is a reason why plasmas excel in movie viewing with their wide angle of viewing and great color accuracy and smooth rendition. They then suggested that if this is a great concern for me, to replace it with a high end LED tv, which would of course cost about 3x as much.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 12:55:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 2, 2012 12:57:26 PM PDT
Marius says:
I was shopping big screens today at the big yellow and blue box store. This Samsung has excellent picture quality. Looked sharper and more detailed than similar sized non-plasmas. I did notice the weird "graying" effect. The store would occasionally play a commercial with blue text on a white background. All the other tv's would show the background as white. This one was WAY off with the light gray background. I thought there was something wrong with it, but I guess it's how this model works. Not a deal killer, and I'm still considering the model. The picture quality is really good, and the price is too.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 3:29:56 PM PST
dmorley21 says:
Has anyone figured out a way to limit the "graying" effect? I like to play the EA NHL video games, and the effect is very noticeable while playing those games. It didn't happen the first few game that I played, but is now happening with regularity.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 3:39:25 PM PST
The only workaround I've seen that works is to view in a darkened room with the tv set to Movie mode. This greatly reduces the maximum brightness thus you won't notice the graying.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 4:45:55 AM PST
35 says:
It's called the ABL (Automatic Brightness Limiting) and it's something new virtually all manufacturers are utilizing now. The bad news: It cannot be turned off. It is for energy conservation yes, but also assists in reducing burn-in on those very bright images. It's also the reason I decided not to buy a plasma. There's a video on you tube that really demonstrates the effect. Very substantial and noticeable effect, especially if you're using it as a computer monitor. I believe they mostly started the ABL in the last year or two, so unless you buy a TV model from a couple years ago, it seems we're screwed.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›