Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed the Book, Not the Audio, December 9, 2011
This review is from: The Scottish Prisoner: A Novel (Lord John Grey) (Hardcover)
I always look forward to anything Diana does, as she is an excellent writer, and an entertaining one.
This book felt a little thin on the plotting and characteristic painting of scene that she is so marvelous at, but then, the standards for her are way higher than many others, because of this expectation. She has a one of a kind eye, and voice.

I also got the audio, as usually, the audio versions are so wonderfully done. It is amazing that I do not get tired of listening to the story come alive through the usual narrator, Davina Porter.I presume that since there are few female voices to speak of in this book,it made sense to have a male voice. I could not listen to it, as the two gentlemen sound precious and whiny rather than the noble and manly persons they are supposed to be. Because I really like the characters as people, I had to put down the audio version. I would not spend my money on that, but hope to wait for a better one in the caliber of Jim Dale, or Frank Muller, both capable great English, Irish and Scottish voices.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 2, 2012 10:01:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2012 10:06:26 AM PST
The Scottish Prisoner: A Novel (Lord John)

Yes I miss Davina Porter's voice, but Claire isn't here. Jim Dale would be great in ANYTHING. Harry Potter lives forever! Unfortunately, Frank Muller was in a very serious motorcycle accident near Los Angeles, California on November 5, 2001. He sustained multiple fractures, lacerations and abrasions, and also suffered severe head trauma. He was unable to work and required extensive care. He died June 14, 2008. Frank Muller was one of the great voices that got me to be an avid audio book fan.

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 10:53:56 AM PST
I agree with this comment (although I haven't heard the audio). The only thing I would add about the book is that I actually felt angry that it was so much shorter than the 1500 pages I loved about the previous books. I realize that this was an extreme reaction to something inanimate, but her previous books didn't feel like inanimate objects, but living, breathing beings. I wish we could put a speedup button on Diana's writing... Other books don't even compare, but while waiting for the next one I've found a very good writer named Jo-Ann Mapson (read them in chronological order).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2012 4:49:13 AM PST
Teahouse Fox says:
I always get the audio versions myself and it's never a warm fuzzy feeling when the traditional narrator of a series isn't doing the reading of beloved characters.

In this case, Jeff Woodman is the traditional reader of the Lord John installments. I've been through all the novels and short stories with him and while I would listen to Davina Porter read Jamie (and have for a few hundred hours!) any day of the week, she doesn't really do much with Lord John or Hal's voices. And there is quite a bit of them in this book.

I will say that unfortunately, Mr. Woodman has done a better job at John's voice in previous installments, particularly Brotherhood of the Blade, and he's made me rewind over more than a few laugh out loud funny characterizations. He seems to make some slight alteration, depending on circumstances, to John's voice - sometimes he sounds more like Hal (good), and sometimes more like Percy from Brotherhood (not so good). Kinda like the way Davina starts out reading Roger, but then ends up much better with his character. Woodman's Tom and Harry voices are awesome, but I've never been a big fan of his interpretation of Jamie in the previous books.

Mr. Holmes, who trades off with Woodman by narrating those sections which are from Jamie's point of view, does a better job with our favorite Scot, and an enjoyable John and Hal. His Tom and Harry leave me rather flat though.

Posted on Apr 17, 2013 8:40:40 PM PDT
MonicaB says:
I agree about the narrators voices sounding weak compared to Davina Porter. It's really hard listening to Jamie with a different voice. I'm not familiar with Jim Dale or Frank Muller. What books have they done?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›