Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

3.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Before But Still Needs Improvement, January 14, 2012
This review is from: simplehuman 13 oz. Sensor Pump, Brushed Nickel (Kitchen)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been a big fan of simplehuman products for many years. I own several of their products and find them to be of the highest quality. So when simplehuman first came out with the "Sensor" touch free soap dispenser, I just had to have one. Although very stylish in form, it failed horribly in function. The first one I had would not dispense any soap at all. A call to simplehuman's customer service provided me with a very friendly experience, and they shipped out a replacement right away. The replacement did work, but barely dispensed any soap, even on the highest setting. I tried several different liquid soaps but none of these made a difference. To make a long story short, over a period of 5 months I tried 4 of these simplehuman Sensor soap dispensers, and all of them failed rather quickly.

Fast forward a few years and now simplehuman has released a new updated model of the Sensor automatic dispenser (called the Sensor Pump), and I was offered one to try at no charge (through the Amazon Vine Program). I figured that simplehuman had made some much needed changes so I was very excited when my package arrived. I received the Brushed Nickel model, and I have to tell you that this device is a work of art. It has a solid feel to it, and the physical design is simply amazing. The Sensor Pump also came with a sample of the simplehuman moisturizing liquid hand soap (lavender scent), which only filled the reservoir about half way. I installed 4, fresh AA batteries (which are NOT included), and began to test my new kitchen soap dispenser.

The first thing I noticed is that this model actually worked! Placing my hand under the spout triggered the device to dispense just the right amount of soap into the palm of my hand. There is an easy to use set of buttons (marked '+' and '-') on top of the device, which allows you to adjust the amount of soap that the pump dispenses. Holding down the '-' button for a few seconds will completely shut off the device, to allow you to safely clean or refill the device without accidentally triggering the proximity sensor to dispense soap. I used this dispenser several times the first evening, and it performed flawlessly each and every time. I was thrilled with my new simplehuman Sensor Pump dispenser, and was tempted to write a glowing review for it right away. But I decided to wait for a few weeks, to be sure that the product continued to perform well consistently. I am glad that I waited.

Although I could go on and on about the looks of this product, and how well it performs in dispensing the liquid soap, I quickly discovered one unfortunate problem that prevents me from highly recommending this model. Either I have a defective device (which is possible), or this Sensor Pump has a mind of its own. My wife began to find puddles of liquid soap on the kitchen counter, as if the spout of the Sensor Pump was leaking. But I checked it several times and it does not leak. In fact, it has never dripped even one tiny drop when I have used it and pull my hand away. How they made it so drip proof is an ingenious work of engineering. However, every day my wife or I would find a fairly substantial puddle of liquid soap beneath the spout, on the kitchen counter, as if something had triggered it. It seems to happen most often overnight, when the kitchen is completely dark. We tried moving it to our master bathroom, and we have encountered the very same problem; only in there it will happen during the days, when we are at work, as well as at night. So we have returned the device to the kitchen, where we wanted it in the first place, and my wife now insists that we shut it completely off between uses. I have to say, this completely eliminates any usefulness of having a touch free soap dispenser. I now have to hold down the '+' button, for a few seconds, to turn the device on before I can place my hand under it so it can pump the soap into my hand. I then have to hold down the '-' for a few seconds, to shut the pump back off so that it will not randomly pump soap onto our kitchen counter.

I really wanted to love this product; and at first I did. But now it is just a fancy looking dispenser, sitting next to our kitchen sink, that is more trouble to use than our old manual pump dispenser. I am not at all angry about losing any money on the purchase of this device, because I received mine for free. I still love simplehuman products and will continue to buy them in the future. However, despite and fantastic looks of this Sensor Pump, and the great concept behind the development of the product, I simply cannot recommend it due to the regular mess it makes as it obviously decides to pump soap on its own for no apparent reason. Because this was a free Amazon Vine product, I do not get the opportunity of getting a warranty replacement from Amazon or simplehuman. However, I do understand that I may have received a defective unit, and therefore would have likely received a free replacement from simplehuman if I had purchased it. I am giving the simplehuman Sensor Pump dispenser 3 stars. I think it has potential to be a great product, and if it was not for the repeated mess it has made on our kitchen and bathroom counters, I would have given it 5 stars. If I ever have a chance to try another one, and have better luck with it, I will be sure to update this review at that time.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 30, 2012 6:33:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 30, 2012 6:34:12 PM PST
Do you happen to have a pet (a cat, perhaps) that is jumping on to the counter and triggering the sensor?

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 7:11:17 AM PST
Both of ours (different models) had the same problem. The kitchen one would dispense intermittently when I turned on the light in the morning. Solved that by turning the dispenser off in the morning.
The one in the bathroom was fine until yesterday, when it completely emptied itself half an hour after refilling. That one's going back to the store.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2012 7:22:03 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 2, 2012 7:23:42 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2012 7:24:55 AM PST
M. Pickering says:
Hi Jocelyn. We do have a cat, but the animal is locked downstairs during the evening hours, so there would be no way of the cat jumping up on the kitchen counter. However, it would have had access to our bathroom counter, when we had the device in there. It's funny because the device stopped going off by itself about 4 or 5 days ago, and has been working great ever since. Not sure what happened, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that it continues to work without malfunction going forward. Thank you for reading and commenting on my review of this product. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2012 7:32:43 AM PST
M. Pickering says:
Hi Sprinkler Gal. I am sorry to hear that you are having the same problem as me, but somewhat relieved that I am not just imagining this issue. :-)

Thankfully mine stopped going off on its own now. I stopped seeing puddles of soap on my kitchen counter about 4 or 5 days ago. Don't know if my good fortune will last, but so far so good. Maybe simplehuman will provide a sensitivity adjustment for the sensor in their future models. I really love the product, but I need it work properly. I had already ordered two bags of the simplehuman liquid hand soap, when I found out I was getting the dispenser, so I am hoping this device will last long enough for me to use up all of that soap. Of course I don't want it to just pump the soap onto my counter instead of into my hands.

Thank you for reading my review and taking the time to comment on it. I hope you have good luck with your simplehuman Sensor hands-free soap pump going forward.

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 8:43:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2012 8:47:10 PM PST
Greg says:
Exact same problem here, also had the first moderl , which seemed to work better for me. This one now empites out ALL the soap whenever it gets it's wild hair.

Going to return it and buy another brand, the best looking one has turned out to be not ready for prime time. Too bad, this would be a great gift.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 1:05:11 AM PDT
mishka says:
I have had a sharper image one for 6 yrs. now it only emptied its contents recently but has been a dream up to that point....i did let it dry out and it is ok now. If units get to wet the inside controls can go wacky.

Posted on May 27, 2012 12:33:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2012 12:42:44 AM PDT
H. Spice says:
A gentle suggestion: Place a small sauce to catch any random spurts of soap which may occur. The soap is "untouched & not contaminated" you can still use the soap on a variety of other cleaning projects throughout the day. This just seems like a better solution than turning your soap dispenser off & on every day which almost defeats its intended purpose. Best of luck...

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 7:35:27 PM PDT
Lane says:

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 7:14:23 AM PDT
Is it possible that a change in atmospheric pressure is causing the release? do you see more on days just before it rains?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›