Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible customer/technical support. Only 90 days warranty!, June 19, 2009
This review is from: Sling Media Slingbox PRO-HD SB300-100 (Old Version) (Personal Computers)
Overall, I have been pretty happy with the functionality of this product over the last 9 months. Other reviews have covered the features well, so I'd like to focus on the customer support/warranty side of things, which is an important consideration.

In order to use access the video from your Slingbox remotely (when away from your home), Sling has created the concept of an online "sling account" which stores your Slingbox access information on the internet.

As far as I can tell, once you leave your home network, there is no way to access your slingbox signal, without logging into your sling account. This is basically a website, that you log into with email/password, and designate which slingbox you want to watch.

I recently ran into a problem where my email address changed (they require you to login into your slingaccount with your email address rather than a userid), and I needed to update it on my slingaccount. After MUCH searching, all I could find was a way to change my password, but no way to change my email address.

So, I found the "contact us" email link, and fired off a quick request to "please let me know how to change the email address on my sling account".

What I received back was really shocking. Honestly, I have been buying electronics, web services, etc for a long time, and have never received as outrageous of a reply as this.

The response was basically:
- We checked your account, and you purchased your slingbox over 90 days ago, which makes it outside our warranty.
- Therefore, in order for us to resolve you issue, you will need to pay us $29.99 per incident.
- OR you can pay us $49.99 for 2 more years of support.

Are you kidding me! It took them LONGER to write that reply than it would have to copy/paste in the answer for how to change my email.

So just beware, that you will very likely need to pay an extra $50 (or $30 per incident) in order to have access to ongoing functionality of your SlingAccount.

Also, at least in the email I received, they indicated that the $49.99 2 year support coverage was only available PRIOR TO MONTH 12 of your ownership of Slingbox. So if you want to avoid the $30/pop charge, you need to pay the $50 before the 1 year mark.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 29, 2009 6:44:43 PM PDT
wenusman says:
Interesting. I just went to sling.com and found where I could change my e-mail address in two clicks. And, I spent about 20 minutes with Sling Tech Support about a week ago for my 3-year old Slingbox Pro with no mention whatsoever of charge for support after 90 days.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2009 10:50:56 AM PDT
B. Orr says:
I just tried to get help for a Slingbox I have owned for years with little trouble until now, when I connect my new HD-TV. I received the same response that W. Munro received -- outside of the 90 day warranty. Very frustrating.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2009 8:43:14 PM PST
Slingbox simply needs to change their support policy. It is disgraceful that a company is only responsible for a 90 day coverage for a new product. This why I am currently hesitating to upgrade to the new HD slingbox.
Adegoke

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2009 5:59:44 AM PST
Cincinnerdi says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2010 10:25:15 AM PST
esanta says:
Hava sells a competing product for much cheaper, and it comes with free support. I'm looking into getting a Slingbox because Hava is taking too long to release a Mac client, but this is not giving me the warms and fuzzies.

Posted on Feb 4, 2010 12:59:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 4, 2010 1:00:19 PM PST
B. Lewis says:
I just went to slingbox's website to confirm that they carry a 90 warranty and it says they carry a 1 year warranty.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2010 7:29:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2010 7:30:28 AM PST
Amazonian says:
The warranty on the hardware is 1 year, but support is only 90 days:

The Sling Media technical support team can be contacted via phone, email or chat. Contact details for your region are on the right.

Complimentary Support
Slingbox, SlingLink, SlingCatcher, and SlingPlayer Mobile customers within the first 90 days of ownership are eligible for complimentary support. Contact information is on the right.

Owned your Slingbox or SlingCatcher longer than 90 days?
You can call us to purchase and extended care agreement or a single support incident. Please do not try to chat or email us if you are outside your complimentary support period. We won't be able to help until you give us a call.

Free Online Options
You can search the Slingbox Support Site and technical knowledgebase in the support search bar in the upper right.

Getting Started with Sling FAQ

Click here to find out if your Video Source is supported by the Slingbox

Browse Sling Media software support pages

Browse Sling Media Slingbox and SlingCatcher support pages

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2010 3:26:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2010 3:29:22 AM PST
L. Karl says:
So, wenusman, how did you do it?

Posted on Mar 2, 2010 5:38:25 PM PST
I just had a similar experience today! [March 2, 2010] I've used slingboxes for years. My 6 month old solo died and I called to try and get an RMA, but they gave me the same crap. I had to pay $29.95 or $49.95 for "support" so they could determine if it was really a hardware problem or not........this even though I have a 12 month hardware warranty. The 12 month hardware warranty is USELESS without the extra charge for "support." So stupid!

Posted on Apr 2, 2010 6:24:38 AM PDT
After a few months of the device working properly it suddenly lost the ability to change the channel using the remote. The sound control would work but there is no way to change the channel. I have emailed and emailed, tried to chat etc. and cannot get ANY response from them except an email asking me to complete a survey on their customer service. WHAT customer service!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›