Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars Destined to become a cult classic! It's "Die Hard" meets "Robocop!", October 3, 2012
This review is from: Dredd [3D Blu-ray/Blu-ray + Digital Copy + UltraViolet] (Blu-ray)
It is an utter crime how this movie flopped at the box office. To be honest I had no idea what to expect when I entered the theater to see this movie. Initially i wanted to go see "Looper" but for some reason at the time I was in the mood for something less cerebral, so me and my buddy chose to see Dredd 3D after a class mate told me to check it out and that it was phenomenal. My God, I was completely blown away! I was so blown away that I went to see it again immediately the next day!

You can tell the director of this film really cared about the project. I felt his heart and soul within every composition and frame. Before this film I use to be anti-3D but after I saw this, it completely changed the game for me, yes even more than "avatar" did. This was the first time I felt that the only way to experience this film was in 3d. even though this film failed at the box office, i feel as if i was part of something special because i was one of the few who saw it in 3d at the theaters. All those people who are going to rent it or buy it on DVD/blu ray will be missing half the experience in my opinion. Too bad for you guys!! And if there ever was a movie that would consider me to covert my home theater into 3d, it is this one.

The way the film makers utilized slow motion was the best I have ever seen since the "Matrix", maybe even better. Lately I've hated the way recent films have used slow mo, just for the sake of it (Sherlock Holmes) but Dredd actually uses it to engross the audience further into the story. I loved the way the cinematography switched up during these scenes, making the drug scenes feel surreal and beautiful at the same time. That, accompanied with the amazing score, really made me feel like i was on a wild thrill ride. I haven't had this much fun at the movies in a while. This year has been a great year for movies. i loved "Prometheus", "Dark Knight Rises" and "Avengers" and even "Looper" but Dredd was the most fun and mind blowing of them all, despite it's simple down to earth story line. In fact I think it was the simplicity of the story that made it so great. It didn't try to have Dredd save the damn world. it was literally like watching John McClane in "Die Hard." It was all about survival!!

Karl Urban was great as Dredd. He really knew how to internalize all the angry emotions of the character and I commend his performance especially since we never got to see his eyes. He always retained a calm but ruthless demeanor. Lena Headey was chilling as Ma-Ma, I'm glad to see her still getting work after her underrated and beloved performance as Sarah Connor in the Terminator TV series (if you haven't seen that show, check it out, you won't regret it!). Olivia Thirlby did a decent job playing the rookie/dredd's side kick. At first I thought she was too young for the role but her character contrasted well with Dredd's character. At times I thought the made her appearance too pretty but she carried the role good enough to make me overlook that.

If you like films such as "Die Hard, Robocop, The Crow, or Darkman" YOU HAVE TO CHECK THIS FILM OUT!! It's a true action film masterpiece that put's the Expendables to sleep! This is easily one of the best R rated films to come out in a long time. These days everything is PG-13 just so the studio can sell more tickets and it was like a breathe of fresh air to see all the action and gore done in a way that wasn't gratuitous but servicing to the story and suspenseful atmosphere the film was trying to create for the viewer. I haven't seen violence in an action film done this well since the 80's. Everything about this film is fresh and exciting. The only thing that I can nit pick about was some of the supporting characters (Ma-Ma's henchmen) acting was bit forced but what do you expect from a low budget film? This film is one of the best-low budget films ever made and proof that you don't need hundred's of millions to deliver the goods. i think the reason why people didn't check this out was because folks thought it was a remake of the the Stallone film. My god, how they were wrong! TOO BAD FOR THEM!! Even though in my opinion I feel that a non 3D version of this film won't be as good as the 3D one I'd still recommend it to anyone, whether 3D or 2D. I'm definitely purchasing this when it comes out!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 17, 2012 3:12:29 PM PDT
jesse322 says:
I agree with you 100%! I still don't understand why it didn't do well at the box office! Even with 3-D sales. It just doesn't make any sense to me. I mean, action turds like the Transformers make hundreds of millions, but this can't even make fifty million worldwide? What the hell is wrong with the world?

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 1:12:33 PM PST
Masoud House says:
I also agree. And what you said, how criminal it was, was funny and poignant. I've had people who told me they just decided to miss it for no reason (I think Marketing was poor) and I've had people tell me they thought it was a sequel--not reboot--to Stallone's movie, and that they didn't want to pay to see that kind of movie.

Jeez. I feel for the Dredd production crew.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 8:08:19 AM PST
Christian V. says:
Great review man, I completely agree with you. This was a severely underrated film. It was the best film of the summer which no one saw.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 6:25:19 PM PST
I agree with you on every point, even though I didn't see it in 3D. (I have vision problems that make 3D a literal headache for me.) I LOVED this film, thought it was the best action film I've seen this year, possibly in the last decade. My husband and I were on such a natural high after seeing the film that we talked about it for hours.

Oh, and Lena Headey is still getting plenty of work - check out Game of Thrones. The woman is brilliant - you forget who she is, she's such a chameleon. I didn't even know she was British at first.

Maybe the reason this film didn't do well here is because Americans don't really understand Judge Dredd as a whole, as it is a British take on post-apocalyptic American fascism. In any case, it's a crying shame that this movie slipped by without much fanfare.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 10:17:22 AM PST
Ophelia says:
all i know is i have an enormous crush on Karl Urban for YEARS and I wish I had KNOWN it was in the theater, but since I missed it, I can't wait to get my bluray 3D!

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 8:40:52 AM PST
This is the review the film deserved! I loved how it was just a gritty day in the life of Dredd without trying to shoehorn his whole history in like the first failed attempt with Rob Schneider. Although I must admit the ABC robot was awesome.

I wish it would have done better at the box office... if they continued to do it right, this franchise would deserve a yearly release far more than Resident Evil.

I just finishing installing a new 55" 3D TV and 7.1 sound system... it won't be officially christened until I watch Dredd 3D on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 4:20:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 4:21:38 PM PST
G. Barnes says:
I, too, can't understand why so few people saw it. My only regret was that I was able to see it only once in the theaters. Come January 8 (maybe a day earlier if Amazon delivers like my last two major purchases), I will be on the couch with some popcorn, (diet) soda and my 3D glasses!

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 10:54:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2012 11:14:13 PM PST
hlsjca says:
I was disappointed in the 3D effects. I kept flipping between looking through the 3D glasses and not using it and at times, can't tell the different here. The 3D effects were very disappointing to me. Nothing compared to Avatar. Save your money rent the regular version or buy the regular blu ray version. The movie itself was entertaining for me. But the 3D effects were non-existence.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 9:55:00 AM PST
CLOUD STRIFE says:
This movie was awesome. Great review though. As for me this movie was like another movie that flew right under everybodies radar in 2002 or 2003 that was so good it also did poorly at the box office and that when word of mouth started spreading around about how good it was in rental stores it literaly made everybodies top ten list in science fiction on IMDB. You couldn't even find it in any stores probably 4 weeks to buy because it was selling like wildfire. That awesome movie that I still pop in and watch every other month or so to get a fix is "Equilibrium". One hell of a movie. This kick ass version of DREDD whether 3D or whatever is very very cool and is definitely on the level of "Equilibrium" as far as I'm concerned. Dredd has definite rerun potential. Both movies have simple stories but great action. Urban was excellent and his Dredd was a hell of a lot better than Stallone's version. In any case I just love it when some really talented filmmakers get together and know how to improve on something either already done or just come up with something a little different but with the simplicity to just draw you in like warm rays of the sun or something and just gives you that natural high you simply can't get from some bottle. That's how good Dredd is. Can't wait until January.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 5:50:36 PM PST
Hey I'm just an echo to what you have read. This was an absolutely fantastic movie! It was just so brutal! I convinced one of my friends to go see it and he was just as stoked as I. Karl Urban was a perfect fit for Judge Dredd. I hope they bring him back for more and don't come down with the reboot virus that Hollywood has become accustomed to. Thanks for your review
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›