Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Drowners Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars An extremely good tablet, August 10, 2012
This review is from: nabi 2 (NABI2-NV7A) (Personal Computers)
Our oldest child has high-function autism and he has a strong affinity for anything tech related. After reading a horde of articles on tech and autism, and then speaking with a family friend regarding this unit, we decided that at the price point it wouldn't hurt.

We were immediately amazed. My wife loved how easy it was to use the device. I loved how simple it was for me to engage the "mommy mode" and set up the wireless settings and the security we wanted. And we both became instant Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja addicts. The real proof of our decision was the true and utter joy on our child's face that birthday morn; and every day thereafter for the next three or four months.

Then we hit the first downside. Apps suddenly went missing. I couldn't figure out the problem, until our oldest proudly showed me how to bypass mommy mode. I still have a mixed sense of pride and shock at how simple a task the bypass was for my 6-year old.
I don't know if this will work on every Nabi; but our child did a search (anything really). He would then keep tapping the find (or whatever it says) 3 or 4 times. The unit then flips from the child-safe mode into the black settings screen mode. That opened up the unit for our oldest to do everything from deleting apps to changing the mommy mode password, to turning on/off random settings.

The second downside we have is the power cord. Our oldest can play rough with things. The unit has survived drops. But the weakpoint is the power cord. Where it plugs into the unit is very thin and, as we discovered, fragile. So we've not been able to charge up the Nabi for him in a bit.

Other than these two issues, we were quite happy with the purchase. I just need to find a replacement wall charger.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 10, 2012 9:50:43 AM PDT
L. Wallach says:
You should come over to the Facebook page for the Nabi as it has a wealth of information and lots of helpful people who can answer problems. The issue you describe has already been fixed with the Nabi's first over-the-air update which went out last week, so I'd urge you to go to the FB page to learn more about that and also to mention the charger issue. Fuhu has been very responsive in helping folks with these kinds of issues. Regarding the charger, yes, it's definitely not as kid-proof as the tablet itself, so if your kids treat their toys a bit roughly, I'd suggest that you be in charge of the charging (ouch) at least until they are old enough or well-trained enough to treat the charger gently. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 3:21:42 AM PDT
M. Bostick says:
Thanks Levi.
My my wife just discovered the Nabi page on FB a day or so ago. There, we found a temporary work around for the charger: using the USB port. It's slow but it has worked.
I'm looking forward to seeing what else Fuhu comes up with. between the product itself and all the customer service stories, I'm even more pleased to have selected this unit.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 5:37:50 AM PDT
LH says:
Thanks for this review. I'm interested in getting this item for my 8 year old. Does it come stocked with apps, etc., or do I need to buy?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 6:00:34 AM PDT
L. Wallach says:
The Nabi has a ton of apps preloaded. Here's a list: http://www.nabitablet.com/support/article/what-apps-come-preloaded-nabi-2

There's also been a couple of "OTA" (Over-the-air) system software updates for the Nabi which improve performance, fix bugs, etc. One of these includes an additional game - Sprinkle.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 8:40:20 PM PST
Raivyn says:
It does come stocked with apps, but there are several that can't be used unless you pay an additional fee, and many of them are demos/lite versions that contains adds to buy the full versions.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 10:25:51 AM PST
Madly says:
I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your review. I am looking to purchase a tablet (or two, or three...) for my sons who are also autistic (I have 3 sons, all autistic, hence the two or three units). Since there is no way that I could manage to buy three iPads, or "win" even one in a giveaway geared towards special needs children (have been trying that to no avail for years now), I really needed to see a review like yours, from someone who needed the tablet for the same reason that I do.

Bless you, and all parents of special needs children like you, who care enough to not only help your children succeed; but also help other parents like yourselves help their own children succeed.

Posted on Jun 22, 2013 11:39:19 AM PDT
SNakeYe says:
I'm looking to buy this for my niece but you're saying there's no google play store? I wanted to know because then I could just give her my google play account and download Netflix, youtube and hulu for her since she likes watching her shows

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2013 12:04:08 PM PDT
L. Wallach says:
Google Play store does not come withe it. You can transfer apps from Google Play with a bit of work. You can also get some of those apps on other app stores like Amazon or 1mobile market, which you can load onto the Nabi. The Nabi FB page has a wealth of info as does the blog Everything Nabi.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›