2.0 out of 5 stars LIke a big sandwitch with only one slice of meat, March 19, 2013
This review is from: GLOW: The Story of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling (DVD)
I really was disappointed with this. I watched it to find out who these girls were in real life, where they had come from and where they had been since GLOW had ended. There was very little of this. They didn't even use their real names, instead introducing them by their character's name. They didn't say anything about their personal lives, are they married? Do they have children? They don't even make mention of some of the stars at all. Where was Spanish Red? They even gloss over why the show was canceled, alluding to a rumor that the financial backer who was married to Pia Zadora was ordered by her to end the show because he was having sex with the girls, but they do not delve into it at all! This should have been so much better. It leaves more questions than answers.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 21, 2013 5:58:04 PM PDT
AM1981 says:
You want their home address also? psh...creeper.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2013 8:57:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 24, 2013 8:58:02 AM PDT
That response is unfair. I was thinking that, while the documentary was a great nostalgia trip, it didn't really reveal much more than we already knew. Why did some of the girls quit? Why did they have to be on lockdown? What DID happen to Spanish Red? I know that a lot of girls came through GLOW, but I'm not sure how you can only give 76 minutes to a promotion that lasted 5 years.

Maybe there just wasn't much more going on than was shown, but it does feel like they missed the boat in some areas with this one. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the documentary, but it didn't blow me away.

To call someone a creeper because they posted their honest opinion? Please...

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 4:41:30 PM PDT
This show has been off the air for nearly 25 years so I completely understand why the girls would want to remain off the radar. They have started new lives for themselves for the most part and while I haven't seen this documentary yet, I don't need to know what these ladies are doing right now. Facebook and other sites have already provided that information if you're that interested because many of the popular glow gals have joined up. I'm not connected to anyone in the business but I said hello to several of them and they have all been very kind in responding and paying respect to their fans. Don't punish the documentary for not providing unnecessary details. Personally, I only care about the drama that happened DURING GLOW and only drama that involved GLOW...not after and nothing thats personal!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2013 6:11:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 26, 2013 6:35:35 PM PDT
It seems your post contradicts itself. If they want to "stay off the radar" as you say then why are they on facebook etc., and why did they appear in the documentary to begin with? And if you "only care about the drama during GLOW not after and nothing personal" why are you finding them on facebook and other sites? I am not asking for their intimate secrets, just normal information that appears in every documentary of this kind. For example "Hi, I am so and so, I played the part of xyz on GlOW, since the show ended I went to school and got my degree, now I live in Idaho with my husband and 2 dogs etc. etc." or whatever it happens to be. I don't think that is asking too much. Also they don't say anything about the drama going on during the show either, just superficial stuff. And another thing, the director of the show came to the reunion, he was right there and he refused to be a part of the film. I wonder why. Here is a guy who was a movie director, and he won't help out the makers of this film? But why am I asking you, you HAVN'T SEEN IT.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2013 6:14:36 PM PDT
Thank you. I didn't understand their comment about me being a "creeper" either. That was quite a leap based on my review.

Posted on Mar 27, 2013 1:52:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2013 1:53:20 AM PDT
I was able to catch it in Los Angeles with about 30 of the wrestlers, the directors, and Mando Guerrero on hand. The directors explained to the audience (and the wrestlers) that nobody has been able to track down Spanish Red. No one refused to appear who was able to be contacted. The wrestlers during the Q and A revealed that because the directorial control was so strict (with the good girls not allowed to associate with the bad girls) that they often only knew each other by their character names.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›