Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day

5.0 out of 5 stars I need a new belt!!!, November 28, 2012
This review is from: The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days (Hardcover)
Most of the people I know could lose a little weight. I know I'm among the "most people." We want to, we know the traditional ways that we "SHOULD" eat and exercise, BUT... something gets in the way. So we carry that weight, a little more each year. Another promise made - and broken - each year.

And then, I heard JJ Virgin talk about the 7 foods that cause inflammation. She talked about the body being more like a chemistry lab than a bank account. It's not always about calories in and calories burned. Sometimes it's about what the body does with the "fuel" it's given.

I decided to give JJ's plan a try. She gathered evidence from thousands of people she had seen in hospitals and in her practice. Not only had she done her research, but she got results over and over again. I will say that in eating differently and by dropping seven foods out of my diet, I've lost 19 pounds in the last five weeks. I've experimented with different foods and putting some back in at this point just to see what my chemistry lab of a body would do. I'm now pretty clear about what works for me and what doesn't.

JJ's plan is simple, easy to understand, and easy to do.

It's funny to write a book review and to say that as a result of this information, I need new clothes!
You'll be saying the same. I hope you try it and that you, too, need a new belt soon!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 19 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 1, 2012 11:16:49 AM PST
Adrian says:
The book came out on 11/27/12 and as of 11/28/12 you've been on the plan for 5 weeks. Please elaborate. I understand that JJ Virgin's info has been available before and that she has now condensed it into a book, but it would be helpful to others if you could point out where you started.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 11:50:28 AM PST
Probably on Public TV since she said she "heard her talk". I didn't know about the book until I heard her talk...

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 6:36:55 PM PST
jordan green says:
i am having trouble finding foods to eat that will keep me on the diet. she recommends the expensive shakes you have to mix youself. any suggestions on on the shelf premixed shakes sold at walmart. and what to eat when you eat out. she has these expensive dishes that when we go out, are not an option. how did you stay on the diet. i have the book, but won't start the diet unless i can figure out a way to make it work.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 7:08:54 PM PST
Dr P says:
Here's what I did...
Just to see if I could get some control over what I ate, I went to a deli and asked for a turkey sandwich without bread. They looked at me and then... they gave me a Romaine leaf wrap.
Also, at the grocery store, pre-made sushi that doesn't have rice, but has vegetables and shrimp or salmon is a good option.
Vega, though expensive at about $70 is the pea-powder protein shake I start my day with. That $70 lasts all month, so $2+ dollars a day for breakfast is OK. I mix it with SoLicious (not SOYlicious) Almond milk because that's got 5grams of protein. I use a blender bottle and take it with me as I drive to work.
Starting your day with a protein bomb will stop you from being hungry. Then, drink water. Lots of it.
Almonds and Walnuts are great as a way to stave off hunger at 11am.
Think about all of the lean protein available to you: Pork, Chicken, Bison instead of ground beef, and of course Fish. If you're eating out at fast food places, try a bun-less burger and go for the bowl instead of the burrito.
While risky because of the way some of it is preserved, you can get deli meat and, along with sliced vegetables and hummus or guacamole, you've got a filling meal.
I'm not the expert in this realm. I have a different area of expertise. I just know that I've stopped eating those seven foods, boosted vegetables and water, and the result is that I've lost a bunch of weight and a few inches!
I can't speak for JJ. I can't even say you'll get the same results. I can say that I'm staying on this thing because it works fast and it's easy. You'll find so many foods that aren't food. You'll also find so many that are just easy.
Go to her website and see if there's a place to ask your questions.
Good luck. It's amazing to watch the weight go from your face, then your belly...

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 1:45:17 PM PST
Gina Carroll says:
I saw her on Public Television, went on her diet a week ago, and have lost 5 pounds. My daughter did her own research years ago and came to the same conclusion regarding the 7 foods to remove from your diet as as JJ Virgin did. JJ Virgin knows what she's talking about, and everyone would be much healthier if we followed her diet.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 3:14:26 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 7, 2013 9:04:57 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 4:04:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 4:09:29 PM PST
Excellent review!

---
As a writer, I like the writing style of this book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 7:24:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 7:30:31 AM PST
Jordan Green: Try to NOT eat out or go anyplace that has calories bombs lacking in nutrition; such as the dollar store, 7-11, and Walmart's cereal aisle because the restaurant and food industry are built around salt, sugar and fat. I start my day with tomato and pepper sauce over quinoa (q had protein and calium). I eat greens, onions, mushrooms, beans, berries and seeds for lunch. Oatmeal would be good for dinner wtih flax seed and fruit. I have nuts and fruit as snakcs. I'm going to have hummus on romain lettuce. Because I'm not eating fat bombs, I'm eating more vegetables and fruit than every before. Yes I'm less satisfied so I ensure that I never get too hungry by packing fruit and nuts in my backpack for my long commute so I have nutritious food with me at all times. I'm drinking lots of water and green tea. I journal. Initial reward/goal: Look fabulous for my 32 year military reunion January 25. I plan to wear the pants I last grew out of again in February. If I do I will reward myself with a massage. In March I will donate my size 20s and wear size 18. Of course, all of these things are rewards in themselves. Friday I told my wellness buddy: "Forget the diet-I'm going for SUPER MODEL! Jan 2014, gave my boss my 358 day notice, and have been inviting all of my friends to my villa in Roma. You come too!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2013 4:39:45 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 19, 2013 4:47:25 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2013 4:47:07 PM PST
Gigi says:
a wellness buddy would be great for this way of eating: I know its good but alot of my friends are terrible eaters! But as a part time chef and culinary teacher, would love to go to Roma, I would cook the rice noodles. Hmm maybe JJ needs a cookbook?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›