1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware!, December 31, 2011
This review is from: KomputerBay 32GB Class 10 SDHC Ultra High Speed Memory Card Read 20MB/s Write 15MB/s (Accessory)
THIS IS AN INFERIOR QUALITY MEMORY CARD! DO NOT TRUST IT! Others have commented about losing data, pictures, and video; I had a similar experience. While shooting 1080p video at a family Christmas function on December 23, 2011, the memory card failed. I lost approximately 12 GB of video and 20-30 pictures. The video lost was irreplaceable; not only did the memory card contain the video recorded that particular day, but it also contained my daughter's first kindergarten Thanksgiving program and Christmas program. I was crushed. I had planned on retaining the holiday video of my children on the card until I had an opportunity to edit the "footage". The memory card actually crashed while I was recording. I checked the card on three different card readers - my laptop, desktop, and the camcorder - and all three indicated there was no content present. There was only 10 GB of video on the card when the evening began.

To add insult to injury, Komputerbay refuses to offer a refund since the card was purchased on September 15, 2011. I guess it's just my misfortune that the card did not fail sooner. The sale date notwithstanding, in my opinion, this response is indicative of a company that will not stand behind its product. After all, why would I want an identical replacement of an already inferior memory card?

Incidentally, I purchased a SanDisk 16 GB memory card with this same shipment, and it has worked flawlessly. I guess it is true, "you get what you pay for." I just wish I had learned the lesson (1) before purchasing this Komputerbay card and (2) trusting it with priceless precious moments. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS CARD! I don't want anyone else to suffer learning the same lesson.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 6, 2012 9:57:54 AM PDT
Do the card still with you?
Is it possible to use some software to extract the corrupted card? (at least partial data recovery?)

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 6:14:53 AM PDT
addisuhg says:
Just lost all my family re-union pictures. I should'v trusted your comment before buying this horrible card. When i say family re-union, it is after 20 years. I am going to keep the SD card just in case there is a magic that can bring back my data.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 7:13:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2012 12:46:35 PM PDT
SCOTMAC says:
To date, I have been unable to find a recovery program that will retrieve the video in its entirety. However, while a significant number of the pictures were permanently corrupted and irretrievable, I was able to salvage a number of them. In my personal experience, Stellar Phoenix recovery software recovered pictures other programs failed to locate.

It is unfortunate that, in our desire to recover precious moments captured via picture and video, that we must incur additional expense to purchase recovery software due to an inferior memory card.

In my opinion, that is what makes Komputerbay's unwillingness to provide a solution all the more unacceptable. I truly feel awful for anyone else who has had to go through this experience.

At any rate, I will never again use the Komputerbay card for anything. I have recently been using the Panasonic UHS 1 SDHC in 8 GB and 16 GB; so far, I have not had a single glitch - even with 1080p/60p video.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 7:37:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2012 7:38:46 AM PDT
SCOTMAC says:
addisugh, I have recently learned that if one is going to attempt to retrieve data from a formatted or corrupted memory card, one should use the card as little as possible until the recovery is complete- no use at all is best. Additional use can cause data that might possibly be recovered to be overwritten; do not reformat.

Posted on May 21, 2012 10:59:26 AM PDT
A. Edwards says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 4:54:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2012 1:12:23 PM PDT
SCOTMAC says:
What an astute piece of detective work Mr. Edwards... er... uh...Holmes (as in Sherlock), or is it Inspector Clouseau. However, don't stow your magnifying glass quite yet; your patently flawed deduction is the only thing that is "too obvious".

Perhaps your investigations, and subsequent conclusions, should be a bit more meticulous in the future Mr. Holmes. For example, how do you explain my follow-up post under the same review? It states in relevant part,

"...I have recently been using the Panasonic UHS 1 SDHC in 8 GB and 16 GB; so far, I have not had a single glitch - even with 1080p/60p video."

Please, enlighten me with your brilliant assessment... I am on pins and needles.

1. Am I moonlighting in research and development for Matsushita/Panasonic while simultaneously working for the marketing department at SanDisk?

2. I can see why you would think that I "clearly" work for SanDisk. Look at the ridiculous number of reviews under my profile directing mobs of people to SanDisk. NOT!

3. I did submit a negative review on a Field & Stream wristwatch. Do you suppose that means I also work for Seiko?

4. Then again, maybe I am just a guy who works in public service, and a consumer, trying to keep folks from duplicating a gut-wrenching personal mistake I made (Nah, it couldn't be that... could it Mr. Holmes; after all, with all your diligent investigative work, you know me better than anyone, right?).

I suggest you stick with English Literature Mr. Holmes. You clearly do not have the aptitude for detective work. I would hate for you to get "caught behind the curtain" on an important case; you know, like trying to differentiate Bill Gates from a mailman. At any rate, I have decided to reevaluate MY initial assessment; you are France's greatest detective after all.

Incidentally, for those interested in an honest review - which is what I gave the substandard Komputerbay card, notwithstanding Mr. Holmes's brilliant detective work - the Panasonic UHS 1 SDHC memory cards have continued to work flawlessly (Oops! Hope that doesn't cost me my job at SanDisk).

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 6:15:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2012 6:16:31 AM PDT
John V says:
@A. Edwards: you must be one of those trust-no-one conspiracy theorist guys who always sees a bigger plot than the obvious answer right in front of your face. Sandisk is the market leader so it is reasonable to compare any card to theirs, then the reviewer goes on to recommend a different brand in followup. You are obviously wrong.

Also, your grammar and punctuation are atrocious for someone who wants to announce to the world they are an English Lit major.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 10:47:10 AM PDT
D. Kerr says:
I understand you are justifiably upset about the card failure. I did want to point out that according to the KomputerBay description, the card is now warranted for life. You might try to return it again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 6:51:57 AM PDT
Sean Suwanto says:
This is really sickening. Someone is trying to share his bad experience with the card and being accused of marketing for other brand. I would twist this around and say YOU are working for Komputerbay.

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 7:50:50 AM PDT