ARRAY(0xa377d744)

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly fine ... unless you want to use them at work, September 25, 2011
This review is from: Creative HQ-1600 Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 1:00 Mins

The Creative HQ-1600 Headphones (Black) are very decent mid-level headphones. The cups are large enough for my ears, and the padding on the cups is a nice fake-leather. The padding on the top of the headphones is just cheap regular foam, though. And the speakers and quality of the sound is very nice as well. I am not an audio expert, so I cannot say what level of bass or if the sound hits certain pitches, etc. I can just tell you that it is strong, and loud. Too loud.

See, the problem is, with the headphones on, you get a decent sound block from outside sources ... but the outside sources don't get the same deal. The video shows what I mean. The sound output from the headphones, whether they are on a table or being worn, is similar to the sound output to a low powered speaker. In other words, people in your office will be able to hear what you are listening to, unless you have the volume down to less than 1/4.

The video shows the sound output at full volume, 1/2 volume, and 1/4 volume for the Creative HQ-1600 Headphones and then, for comparison, the same sound output at the same levels, for my Blackberry Original Stereo Headset. Yes, they are earbuds, so of course their sound leakage is going to be smaller, but this just shows my point about how much louder the headphones are to external audiences.

So, in summary, the headphones are comfortable, they have decent padding, they have powerful speakers, their sound isolation is pretty good, and their sound leakage prevention is not good at all. If that matters to you, then you may have to skip these. If it doesn't, then you should be good to go.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2011 7:28:11 PM PST
Jenni says:
I'm confused. In your video, why didn't you put the headphones on so we could hear how much noise comes from them while you're wearing them? I assume you are wearing them in the office and not listening to them while they are on your desk. I appreciate the time you took to write the review and make the video, but feel it isn't a true representation of how much noise passersby are hearing when you wear these headphones.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2011 11:28:00 PM PST
R. McAdams says:
Hello Jenni,

There are two reasons why I did not film the headphones on myself.
#1, I was using a camera mounted on a tripod, in order to provide stability for the shot (and not give everyone shaky hand, and jittery motion sickness), and trying to self-film with that kind of a rig is difficult at best, more so if one does not have a front-facing monitor on the camera, so one can frame oneself in the shot. I do have such a camera, but setting that one up is a bit of a chore =_=

#2, I don't like filming myself in the first place. If you look at other video reviews I have done, you will notice I don't speak in them either ;-)
I have no desire to put myself all over the internet, as my lack of a social media presence will attest to. I am not in that generation, and frankly don't understand it. I can film the headphones on a basketball or something, if I get enough calls for that. But I thought the comparison between the two types of headphones was fairly expressive.

The reason why I focused on sound leakage of the headphones, is because I *DID* try to use them at work, and my immediate co-worker, who sits roughly 1.5 to 2 meters away from me could hear them and asked me if I had accidentally not plugged my headphones all the way in again (I have done so in the past) =( ... that was ... embarrassing. >.<

So, yeah, those are the reasons.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (32 customer reviews)

$39.99 $26.99
Reviewer

R. McAdams
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Location: CA, USA