4.0 out of 5 stars Organic BPA Free Goodness! (I got Thailand sourced, noticing negative reviews from Sri Lanka cans as per other reviews), September 20, 2010
This review is from: Native Forest Organic Classic Coconut Milk, 13.5-oz. Cans (Count of 12) (Grocery)
After reading the review about dented cans, I was leery to buy 2 cases from Amazon but I am glad I did! I received all 24 cans, and NONE were dented. I was pleasantly surprised! The milk worked for my thai curry quite well, but I just wish it was a bit thicker. While this milk is not as thick as the Mae Ploy brand I have tried in the past, I feel better knowing it was organically grown and that this particular company does not use BPA in their cans for coconut milk, or several other of their products. If more companies jump on the bandwagon I will try more brands but until then I am sticking with Native Forest.

Added Aug 15th 2011:
I now see lots of negative reviews on this product due to sourcing from both Sri Lanka and Thailand. Reviewers have stated the poor quality watery ones are coming from Sri Lanka, which makes sense why I rated mine a 4 and liked mine, because mine were the Thailand kind that like other reviewers have stated, taste great. So be careful when ordering this product and make sure you get the Thailand kind! (will say this on the back of the label) As there is no way to know which Amazon is shipping out, it seems the best bet is to get them in a local store and check the back and get the good sourcing of coconut milk that will say Thailand.

Added Oct 20th, 2012:
As commenters have posted as a response to my review, you are able to purchase a powder that you can mix with hot water if you wish to avoid cans at Wilderness Family Naturals website.

Another option is the Tropical Traditions website shows how to make coconut milk with dried coconut at home. (They sell organic dried coconut on their website, so avoiding cans, less packaging, ethical sourcing) They sell quality coconut products, I have purchased many of their items.

Added Aug 5th, 2013:
In the comments section on my review a user posted:
"I just called Native & Sons co and they said there is NO detected bpa OR bps in there cans..Good to know!"

Lastly, I read recently on someone's blog that you can use the coconut cream concentrate found on the Tropical Traditions website to make coconut milk, that it is very cost effective. I have not ever tried this, however I add a bit to smoothies for my partner in the summer and he loves the taste. If I ever try these things out I will report back, however I just wanted to give ideas to folks who might see this if they do not want to go the canned milk route. :)

Added Dec 8th, 2013:
If you haven't seen the 2 star review by Erin "Get Better Wellness" titled " Supply Shortage so Product Coming From Sri Lanka not Thailand" from September 9, 2011 she lists the response from this company about the difference in the Thailand and Sri Lanka coconut milks. While I encourage you to look at her review, this was the response below she got from the company. I am only adding here because its valuable information and most people might not look through all 230+ reviews and comments to find all this but the manufacturer comment credit goes to Erin with the direct quote below. Thanks for contacting the company! ^_^

"From the manufacturer:
Thank you for writing. Due to worldwide surging demand for coconut
milk during its lean harvest season, our primary organic packer in
Thailand is unable to keep up with our volume of sales. Therefore we
have added a trusted organic coconut facility in Sri Lanka as our
secondary supplier. Unfortunately, Sri Lanka uses a slightly different
processing method than Thailand does and the Sri Lankan product has
more tendency to separate when its temperature falls below 80 degrees
F. This makes the milk appear curdled as the coconut fat separates
from the liquid. Such separation is harmless and easily remedied by
placing the can of coconut milk in hot water for 15 minutes and then
stirring the contents thoroughly. We regret this inconvenience,
especially since consumers have come to really value the smoother,
creamier consistency of our Native Forest Organic Coconut Milk. While
all natural and organic coconut milk will separate in cool
temperatures, the Thailand milk is more smooth and homogeneous. Faced
with lengthy stock shortages during an exceptionally lean coconut
season, we decided to accept the different coconut milk consistencies
from two supply lines rather than have no organic coconut milk at all
during this six month lean period. We are only shipping Thai sourced
coconut milk
as of right now, but distributors and stores may still have Sri Lankan
sourced product.

Thank you for your patience and your understanding.

Sincerely,
Joanna Freet
Edward & Sons Trading Co.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 2, 2011 12:02:41 AM PDT
Bill says:
Please reveal how it is you are claiming this product is BPA free? Thank you...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2011 7:22:13 PM PDT
BGLindsey says:
My local coop grocery has a "BPA Free Packaging" sticker on the price label for this product. Native Forest is also identified as using BPA free packaging on treehugger blog dot com and organicgrace dot com.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 1:20:05 AM PDT
CV says:
All I have to go on Bill was several sources who claimed to contact the company and the company stating the coconut milk cans were BPA free. (Google the name of this and bpa free cans and you can see what some people have said about contacting the company) I too have seen local co-ops label these as BPA free, but there is not a label on the can like Eden Foods does with their beans unfortunately. Can we truly trust them? I can't say I trust most companies, but its the best I can do at the moment short of making my own which I would do, however I cannot find organic coconuts unless I move back to S Florida and get them out of my yard ;) Coconut milk is the only canned product I am using at the moment, so if the only exposure I am getting to BPA if the cans really do have BPA then I feel I'm doing pretty good. I think there are worse things to worry about like all the processed garbage foods then to worry about some BPA in healthy coconut milk. I personally think consuming BPA coconut milk is tons better than fast food, or boxed junk hands down, but this is just one of those things were we have to decide for ourselves what we are willing to put in our bodies and if we feel its worth it or not. Sorry I cannot be of much help, we all pick our poisons :)

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 8:13:56 AM PDT
I don't quite understand how you get the Thailand kind when ordering.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2011 10:05:41 PM PDT
Tulips says:
Wilderness Family Naturals sells a coconut milk "powder", which you have to mix with hot water to get the milk, but it is very tasty and sells cheaper than the cans....wildernessfamilynaturals.com.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 4:35:49 PM PST
Because of the bad reviews I went ahead and purchased a can from my local Co-op. By shaking the can, I could tell it was thinner than "Natural Value" (which I purchased on Amazon last year, but haven't reordered because of the price). I was expecting it to be watered down and oily like the recent reviews said-- but to my surprise it wasn't! While there wasn't a separation of the cream and the thinner milk/water like the cans of "NV", I was still nice and creamy, but didn't need to be mixed together like the former. I tasted it before adding some to my chicken korma ("Seeds of Change" jar mix), and was delicious! ..The can says it's from Thailand.

I'm tempted to order a case on here, but there's no way of knowing if what Amazon sends will be from there. I just hope the company listened to the complaints, and stopped sourcing from there!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011 10:50:09 AM PST
CV says:
Its random whether you get the Thailand kind or the Sri Lanka kind unfortunately. I have not purchased this coconut milk again since I made my original review because I have decided to make my own. It will not be organic as all I can find is non organic coconuts in international markets which I have read have been sprayed with formaldehyde. However, I think the price difference + the fresher taste I am willing to take the risk for the time being.

Keep an eye out as there are several brands of coconut milk in the tetra packs in stores that I have been to if you want to avoid cans, however I think there is still BPA in tetra pack linings?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 6:59:57 PM PST
C. Hall says:
you can make it from dry coconut. I'll try to put an URL here, but they might block it. If so, just google "make coconut milk Tropical Traditions" http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/recipe_HomemadeCoconutMilk.htm

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 7:32:45 AM PST
CV says:
I get my coconut oil, coconut cream concentrate, and dried coconut through there, it tastes amazing its truly quality stuff! Thank you for posting the link for others, its a great resource. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2012 12:51:59 PM PDT
i guess no one knows?? not true - there was as documentary - sometime ago - look at bar code - on each side there is number - 7 and 6 means bpa for sure - but 0 0 means zero bpa.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›