Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

3.0 out of 5 stars Enough With the Juggling, Namco!, November 15, 2012
This review is from: Tekken Tag Tournament 2 PS3 (Video Game)
I played the original Tekken and Tekken 2 in the arcades back when those things still existed in the US of A. I guess you could call me a Tekken fan. I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the series, but this latest iteration, for me, is a mixed bag. It seems the creators of the game decided to go for over the top, and that's fine. I don't mind kooky characters and flashy stuff. What I don't like is the emphasis on juggling. Tekken has turned into a big jugglefest, to the exclusion of pretty much any kind of strategy in the game. I have always played with the more defensive/strategic characters: Wang, Jun, Dragunov... I like trapping opponents into throws, countering their attacks, tricking them into mistakes. Tekken Tag 2 has one emphasis, and that is popping an opponent into the air and keeping them there the entire match. Wanna try some other style of play? Fergedaboutit! Because all you're going to play against are people who juggle. Juggle juggle juggle. Same tactic. Same combo. Juggle juggle juggle. The game is so good. There are tons of characters. Great graphics. The online is good. But I feel that putting all the emphasis on one style of play severely limits its appeal to people who do not wish to memorize juggling autocombos. You're going to have some fantastic fun matches, but those showdowns are divided by a lot of ruthless people whose only goal is to get your character knocked into the air and keep you there until your life bar is gone. I want to give this game 5 stars. If you have OCD and do not mind rinse and repeat gameplay, then this is the fighting game for you. If you like variety, and prefer a more cerebral fighting game, you might want to look elsewhere, because you're going to see a whole lot of video game characters floating around your screen being punched and kicked repeatedly in defiance of gravity. Until you're dead. And before I get a bunch of replies telling me to practice, I did learn how to do it. I just don't like juggling being the emphasis of the gameplay.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 24, 2012 8:05:53 AM PST
J03W1N says:
I am looking to buy the game since is only $25.00 now but from what I read I agree with your comment. I am a street fighter fan and the street fighter x tekken is about the same deal and its not as fun as the street fighters titles. Is it worth to buy the game since its only $25.00?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 1:56:06 PM PST
Tekken Tag 2 is a good purchase at $25. I have noticed people online seem to be abandoning the juggling a bit for more strategic play, too. I say go for it!

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 11:12:59 AM PST
My husband, who has been playing fighting games for over 20 years (He is only 25 btw lol,) says the same thing about Tekken lol. He calls it a buttonmash fest! (Since he is Oh So Cool and mostly plays Street Fighter and The King of Fighters!) But he still enjoys the braindead jugglefest gameplay once in a while even though it gets annoying to play online! And it has definitely become more like that in recet years, but I still bought it anyways :-)

I myself have been playing Tekken for the past 18 years since Tekken 2 when I was about 5. I don't buy it for the technicality because there are plenty of other fighting games for that, but I have always loved Tekken's story modes! I have never been disappointed in all my years and my personal favorites are Tekken 2 and Tekken 5.

It is a very special game for me because I used to play it with my dad who passed away recently in early 2012. What's nice about the Tekken Tag games is the fact that I will be able to play with all of the old characters I used all those years ago when I first started playing video games and relive the fun times I had with my dad. I consider myself very lucky that my dad was actually such a geek! It's part of where I get my imagination from and I found other ways to have fun in the winter as a kid besides playing with my barbie dolls and stuffed animals.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 5:41:36 AM PST
Wow you took the words out of my mouth man. Actually since tekken i wanna say five the juggle system has been terrible. Pop up and theres nothing u can do to avoid it. It is annoying. because you know, if they can't execute the juggle they are useless lol, no strategy. its a shame. nethertheless though. i am a still a tekken fan.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 12:21:38 AM PST
G. Delva says:
OK! Do people just opt not to block?!

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 12:25:20 AM PST
G. Delva says:
There's a feature in the game called BLOCKING. It allows you to deflect your enemies attacks and combos. You should try this the next time you play this game...

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 9:42:16 PM PST
You can't block ALL of the time G! And what the other commentors are saying is that ONCE you mess up just a lil bit, it can cost you a whole match because if somebody is good enough at juggling, once they get you in the air, you aren't coming back down if THEY don't want you too. You can't "Guard" in Mid air. You can only TRY your best to defend decently and HOPE that you get an opening to counter. Plus I have noticed while I am on the offense that only certain combo's REALLY work! I do get tired of using the same 5 ALL of the time just to beat the cpu. It takes some of the fun away. Especially because Most of the characters have A LOT of cool Moves! They just aren't always practical.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 12:35:39 PM PST
G. Delva says:
Yes you can block all the time. You can block while standing OR CROUCHING. I've noticed that when the computer starts it's combos and I start blocking, the blocking ends when the computer's combo kicks me on the lower half of my body (Leg, Foot, etc). So what does this mean? Try doing more crouch blockings instead of regular blocking.

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 7:13:54 PM PST
Nicodimus says:
Agree 100%. This exact issue is why I love Tekken 2, 3, and 5, and hate the later ones. It's just not fun. This isn't freaking Killer Instinct, so stop trying to make it be. Combos are fine, but when they get too long, it's not fun to memorize them, do them, or get a ton of your life taken away from one while you hang in the air like you're on the moon with low gravity.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2013 7:05:08 AM PST
G. Delva says:
Then you don't know how to block. I feel sorry for you then...
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›