2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, June 1, 2009
This review is from: California Baby SPF 30+ Fragrance Free Sunscreen 2.9 oz (Health and Beauty)
Although I love California Baby's bath products and their Sunscreen Stick, I was surprisingly disappointed in this product. I applied it very generously on my toddler's arms and legs, and it did not seem to protect her for more than a half hour in the sun. Additionally, she has very sensitive skin and I found that it irritated her arms with small bumps. Perhaps for a baby that is not very fair skinned or sensitive, this product works better.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 24, 2011 10:31:05 AM PDT
Maneki Neko says:
I think it probably depends on the toddler. I have a fair-skinned, sensitive skin toddler and this sunscreen worked very well for us. She didn't develop a rash and it kept her from getting a sunburn in full 110 degree Arizona sunshine on a vacation where we spent a lot of time in the pool. I reapplied about every 2 hours for good results. I like the thickness of this product and the lack of fragrance. Other mineral sunscreens I've tried tend to be runnier and I just don't care for the texture. (Think Baby, Badger) The only criticism I have of this sunscreen is the high price!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2011 7:21:17 AM PDT
D. Hoffman says:
An SPF factor of 30, by definition = 1/2 hour (30 minutes) of protection, so sounds like the product works as it should.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 6:41:30 AM PST
Angela Clark says:
I just bought this sunscreen in a store and directions say "reapply to dry skin every 2 hours or as needed" There is a huge difference between 30 minutes of protection or 2 hours. If the formula you used is correct, then California Baby is providing misleading instructions.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 1:31:16 PM PDT
Joyce Oben says:
Actually, no, that's not the definition of SPF. SPF (Sun Protection Factor) is a measure of how much UV radiation is blocked. For example, SPF 10 provides about 10 times the sun protection of bare skin. If your bare skin burns in 30 minutes, then SPF 10 would give you 10 times the protection and thus (in theory) 10 times longer before you burn (5 hours).

It's not perfect, because other factors affect protection: time of year, location on the globe, weather conditions, etc. And, of course, the sunscreen rubs/wears off over time, so you should reapply any type of sunscreen at least every couple of hours.

Posted on May 27, 2012 1:10:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2012 1:11:48 PM PDT
Dan Scott says:
We recently moved from Hawaii with our VERY fair-skinned toddler who also has eczema. We've been using this sunscreen for nearly three years with her EVERY day and she has never once had a a burn or even a tan!!! We love it!!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›