5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book With New Insights., February 3, 2010
This review is from: Evidence of the Afterlife: The Science of Near-Death Experiences (Hardcover)
This is an excellent book, written by a medical doctor which offers new insights and conclusions about the Near Death Experience. The author has access to new and fresh accounts from experiencers, and he makes good use of earlier compilations and studies in the field. The book is well documented throughout. The author's conclusions are well worth reading and should point the way for even more detailed studies in the future. I recommend this to anyone familiar with the Near Death Experience and interested in its implications. Though there have been many popular books on the phenomenon, this is still a neglected field. Misunderstandings about the experience are rampant. And in my opinion, skeptical critics have done a very poor job of responding to the material that doctors have been accumulating on this for decades. Indeed skeptics who continue to maintain that the phenomenon involves delusions do not seem to have read the material on this that is available to all. The fact is, patterns emerge in the countless reports of these experiences and these patterns have certain clear implications. This book seeks to define and evaluate those patterns, and to draw conclusions about them, in a responsible, and credible way. Highly recommended.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 5, 2010 6:50:30 AM PST
J. C Clark says:
Miss Rice--

I noticed your kind but rebuking comments to another reviewer, and then read this. Your credibility is very high! Thanks for taking to time to offer this to another wild atheist turned believer. Ordering the book today....

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2010 11:43:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2010 11:46:02 AM PST
Marineboy says:
I don't mind people disagreeing with the review that I wrote, but I do ask that if they refer to it that they understand what my objection is and not seek to pretend, for instance, that critics haven't read it carefully or something like this. It is simply bad science. That is my objection. I have read it carefully, with the care I bring to every book, and it remains bad science.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2010 4:54:54 PM PST
Marineboy...what if 'bad' science is really, the only science. That lack of 'reason' and 'logic'...are our only actual contact with the life force that binds us all together in this experience called life? Give me a science when it comes to love or music..emotion, and then I will stand down gladly. Science.. is a side effect. A happenstance of a physical mankind. It is a denying of the spark that invigorates the explainable.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2010 11:59:48 AM PST
Marineboy says:
I have never held the view that science is the only worthwhile human enterprise. However, it is science that enables you to sit here having this conversation, that enables you to be here at all if you are much over the age of 35, and it is simply a fact that blind people being able to see or not see in a near death experience, or people being able to see or not see events above their bodies, is a scientific question.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2010 12:20:01 PM PST
Science caught up with telepathy, and became the generic form known as the internet. When it catches up with reike, I'll be impressed. Perhaps scientific questions, have spiritual answers, and therein lies the epiphany. I'm not sure I get the gist of your being over 35 comment?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2010 1:04:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2010 1:06:21 PM PST
Marineboy says:
Simply the average lifespan before the scientific revolution brought changes in hygiene, medicine, closed sanitary sewer system with sewage treatement, and many other things. Prior to such developments, in Thomas Hobbes terms "nasty, brutish, and short".

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2010 1:10:52 PM PST
J. C Clark says:
Well, many would argue that though not as short, life can still be very nast and brutish....the coarse, ugly, corrupt, genocidal and vicious world that the elevation of science has brought us is not all that appealing.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2010 1:13:39 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2010 1:20:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2010 1:21:19 PM PST
Marineboy says:
J.C. I'm not an uncritical fanboy for the scientific revolution. I think our own behaviors have led us to an environmental precipice for which the human imagination, conscious and unconscious, is desperately seeking an answer. I just think it's a touch hypocritical for someone to fling horse dung at science by logging into a conversation they wouldn't be able to participate in without it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2010 1:24:44 PM PST
Dung was flung? How do we even know that? What if we had worked on ...exploring the mind instead of pouring all of our resources into physical, external methods of communication? I apologize if anything I have said has been misconstrued as..y'know, fecal and aerodynamic.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›