2.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to like it..., September 29, 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: X-Men: Destiny (Video Game)
When I saw that what was described in pre-release materials as an X-Men RPG was going to be released, I was totally pumped, and like most people I feel pretty let down. DC Universe Online was a similar bad buy for me at the beginning of the year, but for totally different reasons. First of all this game is not an RPG, at least it's not in the Mass Effect, Fallout, or Dragon Age franchises sense of the word. You get to pick from 3 character templates, and along the way your actions decided if they will side with the X-Men or The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. Beyond, that you get to pick between two powers every once in awhile when you level up, but the character customization is pretty much non-existent. On top of that the three characters you get to pick from are all kind of bland, and I didn't really get invested in any of their stories (which are pretty brief and generic).

Story is a major problem in the game, with all the great X-Men storylines they could have used for source material I don't know why they picked Bastion and The Purifiers. There are plenty of cameos by your favorite good guys and bad guys, but honestly they just made me wish this was more like a Ultimate Marvel Alliance game, or the X-Men games from the previous generation of consoles, where I could play as my favorite character instead of some generic one I didn't even get to create.

The game play is very much a button masher, there is really very little skill involved. The game is monotonous a lot of the time, pushing the same buttons to defeat waves of generic bad guys, and once in awhile it's frustratingly difficult for no apparent reason (maybe other than to stretch the game play time out?). I didn't find the graphic as all out awful as a lot of people seemed to, but they are nothing special at all. I've seen what the PS3 can do, and what other Marvel titles looked like on the system and this game is a let down in regards to both. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, and Wolverine: Origins, both games that are over two years old look better and sound better overall than this one does.

There is a not a lot of replay-ability with this title either, when I first put it in I thought I'd play through as an X-Men, and then go again later with one of the other templates as a bad guy with the Brotherhood. Having played through once, I don't have the energy, if I was that bored the first time I'm not going to bother, and from what I can tell it really makes little difference which side you choose anyway.

All in all a pretty big let down as a casual gamer, and as an X-Men/Marvel fan. At least I'm not gonna get screwed out of reselling or trading this one in like the developer or powers that be did with DC Universe.

[Add comment]