4.0 out of 5 stars Another fan of the original, June 26, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Alice: Madness Returns - PC (DVD-ROM)
Before I start, I'd like to make a few things clear. I am a big fan of the original game and was looking forward to the sequel so I already have a positive attachment to this game. Secondly, I'm running this on an Alienware computer with dual graphic cards so I cannot comment on lag issues that have been highlighted by other reviewers.

The Review
-This game is visually stunning. The more I play, the more time I'm taking to explore the environments and really enjoy the detail the designers have put into the game. It's this very point I think that's causing other to dislike the game. Recently, I've seen a trend in gaming to identify a challenge and work to complete that challenge as quickly as possible. My son is a prime example, he works to get through a game as quickly as possible and doesn't try to enjoy the game, the challenges, and the puzzles. Alice:Madness Returns reminds me of many of the early computer games that were released. Various jumping, lever, platform challenges to move onto the next level. The enjoyment from Alice comes from the amazing visuals and how Alice actually moves. Her hair, her outfits, and the butterflys that appear when she dies, sprints, or floats down to a platform. An additional perk is her heightened senses when she's small. This sense allows Alice to see hidden platforms and messages throughout the game. Most of these messages are informative, however, a few I found very amusing.

The combat system has been upgraded and it is very satisfying. There are a few issues which I will highlight below, but overall, it's tolerable and it's not anything that I don't think a future patch can't resolve.

The Negatives
This was clearly ported to PC. A game controller is clearly the way this game was meant to be played, however, I had to give it up since it became very frustrating to constantly readjust the camera angle to follow Alice with the controller vs use the mouse. Additionally, As highlighted in some of the negative reviews, is the "targeting" combat mode. I believe this was meant as a simple way to use ranged attacks in the game, however, it becomes very frustrating when you have to switch between ranged and melee. While in targeting mode, you can use the umbrella to deflect attacks but you can't when your not in this mode. This can be very frustrating especially when I don't typically use the auto-target feature. This is where a game controller would make it very simple to switch modes on the fly and a keyboard makes that difficult. Also, I've found the only way to get out of this mode quickly is to shrink.

Overall, I'm really enjoying this game despite the control issues. The story is clearly pulling me in and continues to pull me deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole. For those reviews that highlighted the frustration of not being able to save, welcome back to the old days of gaming which in an ironic sense I'm enjoying. It's forcing me to learn how to play the game better and make Alice more agile. I wouldn't recommend this game to someone who just enjoys getting through a game as quickly as possible, but to someone who is willing to take the time and enjoy it for what it is. If your the type of person that enjoyed Psychonauts, you will definitely enjoy Alice:Madness Returns.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 11, 2012 6:30:55 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 20, 2012 10:30:32 AM PDT]

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 9:54:55 PM PST
Jim Frost says:
Awesome review! I totally agree, people are so obsessed with flashing lights and quick paced action that they don't take time to enjoy the environment. I love games like the adventure game Syberia where one can take time to take in the beautiful landscape and the different environments. Although I love me some fast paced action as well...it just seems that kicking back and relaxing is becoming a thing of the past.

I can't wait to play it!

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 9:46:01 AM PST
byonder says:
Good review. I'm really enjoying this game for the same reason: exploration. It's beautiful, interesting and varied.

I'm using an Xbox 360 controller on my PC and I can't recommend it enough -- the button layout is excellent and the auto-targeting works really well. I can't imagine trying to play this game with the mouse & keyboard.

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 11:51:32 PM PDT
Eyal Teler says:
How close to each other are the checkpoints? I rarely have time for long game sessions.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 1:21:18 PM PST
How did you hook up your Xbox 360 controller to your PC?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 5:54:12 PM PST
byonder says:
I'm using a wired 360 controller, so it just plugs in with the USB cable. However, you can use a receiver to use a wireless 360 controller: Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 1:07:29 PM PDT
A customer says:
Does anyone know for sure how I can check this game to make sure that it has the latest update? I would like to make sure that I am playing the game with the latest patch, because when I installed the game on my PC I got into Origin and no updates started (I know there are several patches because people have told me).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.5 out of 5 stars (244 customer reviews)

$19.99 $14.99