Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

3.0 out of 5 stars I've Had Enough, How About You?, January 19, 2012
This review is from: The Simpsons Season 22 (Amazon Video)
I wouldn't exactly say that The Simpsons have jumped the shark. It's not like they've gone off in strange new directions that have caused the show to lose its original appeal. They haven't. In fact, the show itself is pretty much as it ever was. Maybe that's the problem. I don't know. But what I can tell you for certain is that these days I do have trouble making it through the whole episode. I mean that literally. Increasingly, I find myself just erasing these things half-watched. Often I find that I'd actually rather watch an old "classic" repeat.

Perhaps, after twenty-two seasons, it really is the sheer lack of change that's the problem. After keeping the main characters in what has essentially been a holding pattern for almost all of that time, we seem finally to have reached the point where each new episode is now _all_ about the wacky premise. "What if Homer... " or "How about if Krusty... ". You get the idea. This kind of thing is fine so far as it goes. But when that's truly all there is to a show, something's missing.

I remember back when Bart swore that "as God is my witness, I can pass the fourth grade!" I can't help but think that it's way past time to finally allow him to make good on that pledge. I also find that I can't help but think of Troy McClure's famous rhetorical question: "Who knows what adventures they'll have between now and the time the show becomes unprofitable?" My great fear is that that's really the way The Simpsons are going to end. Which would be genuinely very sad. Or at least, I certainly think so.

Fundamentally, to whoever's calling the shots here, I'd say simply this: I'm bored. I've had enough. Please quit while you're still at least respectably close to being on top, or else have the guts to take some real risks with this show. Let the core characters - the Simpsons themselves - actually develop a bit. Bring in some CHANGE for heaven's sake!

For the first time in a long, long while, you might even try surprising us.

As God is my witness, you can get past the fourth grade.

Theo.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 7, 2012 7:16:50 PM PDT
ben graham says:
You were expecting one of the show's lead character's to get out of the 4th grade in the 23rd season? I see why see gave it three stars.

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 1:39:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2013 1:45:34 PM PDT
NyiNya says:
Theo, there are only two other people whose reviews I follow for the sheer pleasure of of reading them. Even when you're critiquing The Silver Surfer (who never entered my Batman/Superman/Green Arrow/Green Lantern pantheon), you entertain and inform -- and intrigue. Neat little hat trick.

But I have issues with this one: Of course the Simpsons can change, they're cartoons. Homer can be five inches taller, Marge can have an orange pixie cut in the morning and a copper pageboy while doing the breakfast dishes. Maggie can wake up a haggard 38 year old divorcee and seque into a chimpanzee by lunch. No problem. But change their characters? Whoa nelly, to quote Bozo the Clown, the real character upon whom the writers based their Krusty (and, might I add, an acquaintance of many years, and former employer of a dear friend...sorry, but I have so few opportunities to brag about knowing Bozo, I can't let one pass). Bart has to be 9 years old and in the Fourth Grade. If he was in the Fifth Grade, it would change everything. Like in the Ray Bradbury story where the guy goes back in time and steps on a butterfly, that single, small act would change everything forever. And not in a good way. He'd be just one year away from those first little hints of puberty and two years away from his first stint in reform school for breaking into Springfield Elementary and vandalizing it. Three years away from the first time he's tried as an adult -- for grand theft auto and vehicular homicide. Right now, he's just a mischevious kid, but you put some years on him and you are talking Sociopath. And when the jailhouse shrinks get to him and find out that Homer has been choking the daylights out of him, Homer is going to be doing time too. Marge will end up married to Moe, Liza will run away and live on the streets before eventually making her way to Paris where she will become the mistress and muse of an up and coming young film director who eventually leaves her; she'll end up throwing herself off one of the more scenic pedestrian bridges and into the Seine. Little Maggie will retreat further and further into herself and spend her life institutionalized, rocking back and forth and making sucking noises, emerging from her fog only once, when she is fifty years old, to compose an incredibly beautiful concerto specifically for the harpsichord. Ned Flanders, on the other hand, will meet and marry the fabulously wealthy widow of a beer bottling magnate and have a long, rich and happy life. One of his kids will end up a television evangelist, the other one on crack. Funny how things work out, eh.

Anyway, careful what you ask for...

NN

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 6:46:23 PM PDT
Theo says:
I think you've just given me what I asked for.

Sounds like the second Simpsons movie will be a whole Hell of a lot better than the first!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 6:59:20 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 16, 2013 7:03:20 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 7:55:20 PM PDT
NyiNya says:
The first Simpson movie was awful, a complete disappointment. The second one has to be better, it could hardly be worse. And I meant what I said about reading your reviews just for the fun of reading them.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 8:02:00 PM PDT
Theo says:
Thank you! You're very kind! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 3:55:06 AM PDT
Theo says:
P.S. A slightly edgier Krusty...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 8:27:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2013 8:41:35 AM PDT
NyiNya says:
Larry Harmon (not the original Bozo, but the man who put Bozo on the map) would have eaten this spawn of Kiss and spit out chunks of Ronald McDonald. Harmon was indeed the character (and he was a character) upon whom Krusty was based. My former colleague Jerry Digney worked for him for many years, and my best friend was his assistant...but she ran away and unjoined his circus after only a brief stint. Harmon died a few years ago. He was th e only clown I ever liked. No one will ever fill his size 22 12/2 red shoes.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 8:28:57 AM PDT