4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but..., October 27, 2012
I recently purchased the JavaJig reusable K-Cup coffee filter and though I wasn't thoroughly impressed with the product, I was not disappointed either. The product uses a K-cup sized housing that fits around a small coffee filter in which you then place your coffee inside, put the cap on top, then put it into your Keurig machine.

Assembling the product is quite simple and easy to do. The box gives 4 simple steps as to how to set the filter and add your coffee. Unlike the official Keurig My K-Cup prodcut, the JavaJig is about the size of a K-Cup and goes right into your machine like a K-Cup would; you do not have to remove the inner holder of your machine.

However, I have noticed that the coffee tends to be quite a bit weaker than normal. I used a Mild Blend of Maxwell House coffee (which is what I would use in my normal coffee pot) and the coffee was quite a bit thinner and more watered down. I tried it twice, one where the JavaJig was nearly full and one where it was completely full. Though adding more coffee grounds did strengthen it slightly, it did leave a ground or two in the cup.

The JavaJig itself is actually a good money-saving product for those who love Keurig coffee but hate having to spend a lot of money on the K-Cups. The only thing is that if you find that your typical coffee seems weak, that you may need to get a stronger blend. Other than that, good overall product.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2012 9:53:50 AM PST
I just purchased this item today and on the box it says for the best results "use espresso ground coffee."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 4:49:15 AM PST
I purchased mine on Thursday of last week and my box did not say use only espresso ground coffee

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 5:38:39 AM PST
Woody says:
Cameron, I just received mine a few days ago and it doees not say to use Espresso. Are you looking on this box or maybe you have the older model...I do see where a stronger brew would be best though. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 8:01:41 AM PST
You are correct: I double-checked the box and it does not say to use espresso ground coffee. Now, I am confused and don't know where I saw that ... it must have been on an insert that was in the box (of course I can't find it now or I'd take a picture and upload it). I am going to call Melita on Monday and see what they say, because my experience with this so far has not been too good (using regular ground the coffee is too weak; I prefer the Ecobrew to this). If I remember, I will post what they recommend.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 8:11:25 AM PST
Woody says:
Thanks for commenting, I would not worry w all hav
e busy live and you may have seen it anywhere, I did not get an insert. Please let us know what they say :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 9:54:50 AM PST
Doug Hibbard says:
It's embossed in the lid of the Javajig itself. So, it's in raised, small, black letters on black plastic.

Not exactly easily visible.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 9:56:43 AM PST
Sorry for the misinformation I posted. I did call Melitta a few minutes ago and they said that an espresso grind is not necessary, but that a "fine" grind is all that is needed. I did, however, do a little research online and found that some who reviewed the product said that Melitta did recommend to them the use of an espresso grind. I guess it's up to us to find the grind that works best. In my trials, a "fine" grind did not do the trick (although it was a new type of coffee I was using, so that may have been why it didn't come out as expected), so once I use up what coffee I have left (in my EcoBrew), I will try an espresso grind and post the results.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:18:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2012 11:50:15 AM PST
Woody says:
Cameron and Doug, I am a Vine Voice reviewer and got this form Amazon to test.

I do not like strong coffee so it worked out fine for me but to not mention things on the label is not very nice, something of this importance should be visible for sure. Thanks to you both for sharing this info I will update my review.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 10:35:43 AM PST
LizzieBoone says:
I've found that a finer grind makes a big difference in the strength of brew. I just tried this Melitta JavaJig for the first time today and I love it. I've been using the refillable filter made by Keurig to go with my machine. It's a pain to clean each time and the JavaJig isn't --Yay! In my experiments with the Keurig filter, I found the best thing to do is grind the beans or the already ground coffee to a fine or espresso grind. You can use the machine at the store or a home grinder to do this. A courser grind is used when the water has more time to be in contact with the coffee like for drip coffee makers. The Keurig process is more like the process to make espresso because the water is passed through the grounds quickly. So the espresso grind or even a fine grind (like used for french press) works best. I opened up a Kcup to compare the grind and it's finer than that made for drip coffee makers. Also, you want to make sure you have your coffee maker set on the highest water temp setting. If your water isn't hot enough, you won't get the best brew.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 3:49:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 3:54:32 PM PST
I was shopping for k cups and came across the Melitta k cup system. I grabbed it and took it home. After experimenting with this setup, I found that I needed to use 2 filters for my coffee because of the grind. That was the only downside to it and it isn't really the design's fault. It's the grind that is used. I got out my grinder and tried different grinds and found the right combination to eliminate the junk at the bottom of the cup of brew. I also have the k cup that came with Kuerig's system and I also have Ekobrew system. Being with one hand, both of those are hard to clean and I don't like spending too much time on the apparatus. I just want to make my machine purr and make coffee with simple cleanup and I found that with Melitta's system. If you get the grind (finer the better) right being either bold or light coffees you will be happy with the Melitta. I am.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›