5.0 out of 5 stars love that dog!, October 25, 2012
This review is from: I'm a Good Dog: Pit Bulls, America's Most Beautiful (and Misunderstood) Pet (Paperback)
I am so glad someone finally wrote a book like this. I have a pit bull and he is the nicest dog in the world. Someone dropped him off in front of our house on the coldest day of the year and I watched him circle the intersection for an hour and finally called him over to the door and gave him a hotdog and a piece of cheese. He sat on the front porch looking in the window. Our cat sat in the window looking out at him. I wondered what would happen if I let him in. When my husband got home we let him into the garage and fed him some kibble we borrowed from the neighbor next door. He was a beautiful Brindle color and maybe 6 months old. We finally let him into the kitchen. We blocked off the doorway with a card table and he spent the night in the warm kitchen while the cat watched him through a crack. They made friends and the next day we took away the cardtable and let her go into the kitchen to see him. They became the best of buddies and he has been the best dog we have ever had. So loving, so good. You show me a bad dog and I have to look no farther than its owner for the cause. Enough of all this bad publicity. These are great dogs. Thanks for writing this book. I loved it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 25, 2012 10:20:16 AM PDT
S. Crinklaw says:
I was so happy to read your review. I plan on buying this book TODAY! I too have a Brindle Pit Bull. I adopted him from our local humane society. He was a stray, about 9 months old when I adopted him. We have had him for a year and he is the very best dog we have ever had. So gentle, so loving, so patient with our other dog and cat. I have had him in training classes since we got him and he is always the most well behaved dog in the room. Every time I take him out, I try to educate people on the breed and remind them how family oriented they are. I also get TONS of compliments on how beautiful he is! I am so glad whoever dropped that puppy off...did it on your street :)

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 9:13:38 AM PDT
D. Scott says:
What a heart-warming post...I have two Pits (one of them I call a "bottomless" Pit because he loves to eat!) and they are so dedicated to our family, and are loving and attention-craving. My "bottomless" one in fact is THE most loving dog I've ever owned. His tail wags for everything, every little bit of attention. He is a brindle color, too. His name is Roscoe but because of his size and demeanor (like a big, goofy kid) we nicknamed him Moose Mulligan. He's the happiest guy. My other boy, Carson, is a bit more sophisticated I'll call it, and although a happy guy, too, he's not as attention-craving as Moose. Carson, though, LOVES to play with a ball, an old blanket, anything he can run for, pull on, etc. Moose loves to fetch and return. They both are so good natured and fun. I will admit when my son brought the first one home I was skeptical, but found out in short order this was no dog to fear. When he brought Roscoe home a year later, I said, Oh no, not another! But we couldn't help but fall instantly in love with him. Too bad this breed is so misunderstood and feared. So thankful there are lots of people who are willing to take them on and take them in...their needs aren't unlike any other dog, they love exercise and food and cuddling!

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 10:51:58 AM PST
> You show me a bad dog and I have to look no farther than its owner for the cause.
Cannot agree more with this statement. I have seen bad dogs, the real culprit was always registered as their owner.
Thank you for your post, I have read it and hugged my dogs once again.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 10:58:28 AM PST
S. Schmidt says:
Ha ha! "Bottomless" pit. Very sweet. :-) I think mine might be "bottomless" also! :-)

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 2:24:55 PM PST
Thanks so much for the review, and just want to echo what everyone else said.. these are beautiful misunderstood animals. I cringe whenever i hear another "pitbull attack" on the news because yet again only one side of the story is presented... and they NEVER, ever get into what the "dog owner" did/did not do to set the stage for events to occur...or to try and educate the public.. i know preaching to the choir and all, but I cant imagine not having a rescued pit in my life.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 10:52:34 AM PST
Mike says:
Thank you for writing this review. I am so glad you made the decision to let him in your home and make him part of your life.

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 2:48:05 PM PST
Dirtdogs says:
I wondered what would happen if I let him in. I got a good chuckle out of that! I'm so glad you let the little guy int your home, and into your heart! You're right, great owners have great dogs.
@D Scott.....bottomless Pit!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2013 6:06:30 AM PDT
That bottomless pit remark made me laugh. I also have a beautiful brindle female pit bull who is 8 years old. I love her to pieces. I have trouble reading books on animal abuse because I become so angry and emotional, I want to strike out at someone. Dogs are the best gift that God gave humans and I just can't fathom how any human can hurt an animal. The protection goes both ways. The love is so encompassing.

Posted on Oct 7, 2013 7:42:00 PM PDT
Worshipper says:
Dear "Suzy"...

May God RICHLY and fully bless you for such a beautiful and OPEN heart. I teared up after reading and re-reading your review. My hubby and I have been champions for the cause of pits, and reading your story reminds us of how many good folks outweigh the bad. Your pup sounds like he wandered upon the greatest home he could have found. I'm grateful you found one another, and that your experience confirms just how amazing this breed really is. Continue to take good care of one another (we have two and they are the BEST pups ever...I'm trying to find room for yet a third!)

Be blessed...

Posted on Apr 1, 2014 11:16:19 AM PDT
I am also buying this book today. I loved your review. I have a discarded half pit and half (I believe) lab. One of the best dogs in the world. Very loving. Always happy to see friends come to visit. Loves everyone. Such a treat to have in my life. The Michael Vicks of this world are the ones we should be watching.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.9 out of 5 stars (187 customer reviews)

$17.50 $11.52