2.0 out of 5 stars Bad recipes, November 7, 2013
This review is from: The Four & Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book: Uncommon Recipes from the Celebrated Brooklyn Pie Shop (Hardcover)
I have made 2 pies from this book, followed recipes to a TEE (as I always do with every recipe), and they were disgusting.
I think this is another one of those books where the restaurateur doesn't give you the real recipe. Or they give you some altered recipe that doesn't work. I am giving it two stars for recommending the OXO pastry blender and the nice photos. But the recipes are flawed.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 8, 2013 7:35:42 PM PST
Meghan M says:
This is really disheartening. I was concerned about this when I made the Salty Honey Pie and noticed the recipe was different than the recipe published online a couple years ago (as I mentioned in my review of the book). What pies did you try and what do you think went wrong with them?

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 12:01:27 PM PST
I too am curious which pies you attempted.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2013 7:35:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2013 7:37:16 PM PST
Figgy Scone says:
Hi guys I made the buttermilk chess pie and the oatmeal chocolate pie. Both were disgusting.

Note (in other reviews) that I am not the only one having recipe issues.

I bet anyone who tries to make these pies will have issues. Because the recipes are not right (whether it's deliberate on the part of the authors so as to not divulge their secrets I dunno).

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 1:32:33 PM PST
pleureur. says:
It's helpful to have a review of the recipes, instead of the photography and styling of the book. Thanks.

Posted on Nov 24, 2013 10:12:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2013 10:18:09 AM PST
This is quite interesting. I would like to buy this as a gift for my Mom but if the recipes don't come out right after following them "to a T" then I am wondering if it is worth it? It would seem weird to have contradictory recipes already on the internet which are differing from what is in the book, but are from the same source? This is a super bad deal for this new pie book, even if the pictures are nice.

Is there anyone who disagrees with this - are those few who are critiquing the books recipes actually following them correctly?! There are only a few people who are having trouble - maybe it is due to their novice baking knowledge/skill?

It seems like there is a very helpful section on techniques? That is super helpful, however if the listed ingredients are not the real deal from the shop in Brooklyn then what is all the appeal with buying this pie book among all the others? I'll consider copying from the recipe's that are online already and just tell Mom how good I've heard they are. But I'm really hoping to hear of more people that have successfully reproduced these recipes so I can pass it on to my Mom who should really enjoy all the seasonal/oldfashioned pie recipes.

Posted on Nov 25, 2013 7:40:13 AM PST
I have made the Black Bottom Oat pie (the oatmeal chocolate pie) multiple times from the book's recipe and it's come out very well.

Posted on Nov 25, 2013 1:20:43 PM PST
I just googled and found a food blogger who made the black bottom oatmeal pie and shared the recipe from the book. Her pie looked perfect and she raved about it, so I'm thinking the recipe is fine and it's just the execution that unfortunately resulted in a bad pie...

Posted on Feb 2, 2014 4:24:21 PM PST
E.M. says:
I have tried the Salted Honey Pie and the Black Bottom Oatmeal Pie. With the Salted Honey Pie, you really do have to wait until the pie is completely cooled to cut into it or it doesn't look/taste right. I thought it was really unique and will definitely be making it again.

Now, the Black Bottom Oatmeal Pie. I just made this pie today, ate a piece as soon as it was out of the oven, and waited until about 5 hours later to try a cool piece. I came directly to Amazon to see what others thought because for my family, this is--handsdown--one of the best pies I have ever made. They love it. 3 children and 1 husband say this recipe is second only the Baked Bakery's Tuscaloosa Tollhouse Pie.

What sorts of problems did you encounter? The pie came out perfectly for me the first time.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›