5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, February 14, 2013
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX S6500 Wi-Fi Digital Camera with 12x Zoom (Black) (OLD MODEL) (Electronics)
I recently got the camera at a local store; although, it was cheaper at Amazon, I needed it right away.
After going through all the cameras in my price range; I found that this camera has features found on much more expensive cameras that I was looking at.
Its compact size makes it easy to carry around. The ability to take good quality pictures as well as Full HD video eliminates the need to also carry a video camera.
The camera has several shooting modes to select from such as Portrait, Panorama, etc... Pictures look realistic, they are sharp and the colors are vivid and natural. The image stabilization helps take sharp photos; I found this especially useful when using the zoom for long distance.
As they claim, the pictures at low-light are very good, much better than I expected. At my daughters dance show, they allowed the audience to take photograph without flash. The pictures and videos came out real good considering the distance that I had to zoom and the low light.
The built in HD video camera (CMOS) recording quality is very good. There is a separate button to record videos. You can also pause the video recording so you don't end up with a bunch of short clips.
The camera has editing features to do things like lighten skin tones, whiten teeth, whiten eyes, reduce dark circles beneath the eyes, and apply a blush-like effect to cheeks.
With the built-in wireless you can quickly send your pictures and video to your smart phone, tablet, etc... to email them to your friends and family, or post them online. This beats having to take your memory card out of the camera or plug the camera to a computer to share your pictures. You are also supposed to be able to control the camera with your smart phone; however, I haven't tried that yet.

Options for Image size: 16MP - 4608 x 3456, 8MP - 3264 x 2448, 4MP - 2272 x 1704, 2MP - 1600 x 1200, VGA - 640 x 480, 16:9 (12MP) 4608 x 2592

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 16, 2013 3:55:53 PM PST
Question:
Can I set the pixels DOWN to less than 16MP

What are the various pixel settings (i.e. X pixels by Y pixels)

What is the lowest setting?

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 4:39:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2013 6:08:05 PM PST
Manny Lopez says:
Here are the options: 16MP - 4608 x 3456, 8MP - 3264 x 2448, 4MP - 2272 x 1704, 2MP - 1600 x 1200, VGA - 640 x 480, 16:9 (12MP) 4608 x 2592

I updated my review with this information as well. Hope this helps.

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 5:14:23 PM PDT
Were you able to transfer video to a tablet (ipad) via wifi? I was able to do it for pictures (with the ipad app) but not video.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2013 5:20:01 PM PDT
Proftom says:
No, I have not tried to transfer a video to a table (iPad)
In fact, I'm having trouble transferring pictures with the iPad app.
How did you do it?

Thanks,

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2013 5:59:31 PM PDT
On the ipad download the Nikon wireless mobility utility app. Turn on Wifi on the camera. On the ipad, Wifi settings, hit on the Nikon network. Now just open the Nikon WMU app and your done.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2013 6:35:48 PM PDT
Jeremy:

THANKS a LOT.

I struggled with the instruction manual and could not do it.
You straightforward instructions were easy to follow and mow I have it working.

You ought to write their instruction manuals.

Thanks

Tom

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2013 6:15:10 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 14, 2013 6:16:44 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 8:07:06 PM PDT
camera shy says:
Does this camera have a screen that is bright enough to see in the sunlight? I have to kind of guess what I'm getting with my present camera outdoors on a sunny day.

Posted on May 30, 2014 9:07:42 PM PDT
Bob Jackson says:
You can transfer pics from the camera to an ipad but after consulting Nikon they say that videos will not transfer. Now I have to figure a proper way to save all my movies. Any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2014 6:37:03 AM PDT
Sorry, I only use the photo format of the camera. I hope someone out there can help you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›