4.0 out of 5 stars Viera P60ST50, May 2, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST50 60-Inch 1080p 600Hz Full HD 3D Plasma TV (Electronics)
I'll keep this review short and sweet, unlike some of my other reviews. I have only had this TV for a few weeks now and I must say the picture quality (PQ) blows away every other display I have ever seen. I have read other reviews mentioning the old Pioneer Plasmas and some brought up the Samsung line but I never really got caught up in the plasma world when those manufacturers reigned supreme. As far as modern-day HD is concerned, I believe the best technology is plasma and Panasonic has the best models available-period. I'm not saying plasma displays are without quirks and issues. There is always a concern about image retention (IR) and screen burn-in if you are not careful. And I recommend following the advice of experts when it comes to breaking in a new plasma display. Yes, that means setting up your brand-spanking new TV and watching a seemingly never ending slide show of colors for 100 hours. Yes, that's 4 days of semi-torture that you must endure if you want the best PQ and the most consistently beautiful display for years to come. Plus, during the prep you can observe the display for defects.

Check out Hi-Def Junkies, D-Nice is a great, albeit persnickety video calibration expert over there: [...]
As for the ST50s menus and such, you might find navigating through everything a bit daunting at first. The quick start guide was infinitely more help than the "manual" supplied. The on screen help is readily available from a single button on the remote. The network setup is very straightforward and the Viera connect works well with windows computers for media sharing. It will connect to your wireless network on the 5MHz (N) band, so this will ease your traffic on the crowded 2.4 GHz band. At least you won't have to share bandwidth with the microwave ovens and alarm clocks in your house.

I didn't say much about the PQ, but suffice it to say you need to see a Panny Plasma for yourself before you go and spend your money on an LCD or LED or OLED unit. The extremely wide viewing angle of Plasmas cannot be beat. The 3D on this TV is simply mind-boggling. One thing you must consider is your room lighting. Plasmas work best in darkened rooms. Invest in shades or curtains if you have to-don't let that be a show stopper (literally). I forgot to mention, after the 100 hour prep for the panel you either should get it professionally calibrated or get the Disney WOW disc and do it yourself. You will not be disappointed.

In conclusion, I must say I realize Plasma displays are not for everyone. They require some setup and prep time and if you have screaming kids ready to watch a Tele-Tubbies marathon, how can you let it run a slide show for 4 solid days non-stop? And if you are a retro junkie and you break out the old pong game during a party with your former college roommates you risk burning an image into your display that will last far longer than your hangover. So yes, there are a few concerns you must consider. If you can get past the initial prep time you will be rewarded with a fantastic picture that will satisfy for years to come (panel loses 1/2 brightness after 100,000 hours according to Panny). So far I am extremely happy with this unit. I hope my rambling review (RR) will help you make an informed decision on whether or not a plasma tv is right for you.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 3, 2012 7:55:09 AM PDT
Joe says:
Hello and thanks for your well presented review.
May I ask what seating distance are you using?
What would you say is the "sweet spot" where the picture is immersive without feeling too close?
Conversely, what distance do you feel is too far away to the point where you lose the size advantage?

Posted on May 3, 2012 8:23:38 AM PDT
Ray says:
Hi,
I am considering getting this TV. I was going through other reviews its being mentioned about ghosting issues with 3-D, are you noticing anything similar? I am wondering if it has anything to do with not prepping up the TV as you have done.
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 2:45:02 PM PDT
M. Jacobs says:
Hi Joe-I have a seat dead front and center about 7 feet away and it looks beautiful! I also have my office in the back of the same room and it's more than 25 feet away. It looks fine from the office area but the 3D is not the best from there. So, to answer your question I believe 6 to 12 feet away from the set is optimal. And you don't have to sit front and center to get a perfect view, the PQ is just as good from sides.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 9:20:41 AM PDT
M.
I'm guessing that your movies must look pretty awesome at that distance.
My seating distance will be 9 to 13 feet. I'm wondering if 65" would be too big or if the 60" would do. (I like the idea of paying $1800+ for the 60" vs. $2400+ for the 65".)

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 10:17:27 AM PDT
M. Jacobs says:
Go as big as your budget allows Joe! You will not be disappointed with the 60. I believe the 65 would be outstanding at that distance as well. Either way, I think you will be positively blown away by the PQ in these panels.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 2:05:45 PM PDT
M.
You've convinced me.

I'm blaming the budget buster on you to my wife. :-).

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 7:08:09 AM PDT
M. Jacobs says:
Hi Ray sorry I missed your post before. As far as 3D ghosting is concerned, I have seen some evidence of it. I did not notice it at all in some animated movies but I did see it in a couple of PS3 games I've played. It's not bad though, and the plasma picture quality is so fantastic it really isn't a distraction. I watched some sporting events like boxing through cable and it was mind boggling. No ghosting whatsoever. I guess it depends on the content. There are also a few adjustments you can make with the 3D settings which I haven't played with.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 7:41:29 PM PDT
Ray says:
Thank you Jacob really appreciate for your response. After going through hundreds of reviews across different brands and models I am pretty certain now that there is no other TV that gives better Bang for the buck compared to ST50. I just need to decide whether to go for ST50 and save some $'s or else spend 300$ more to get a better processor on GT50.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 10:12:45 PM PDT
M. Jacobs says:
I think you will be happy with either choice. I believe the GT50 has a few more settings for calibration in addition to the beefed up processor. Don't forget the panel prep...

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 2:31:45 AM PDT
Stratsa says:
Hi
Thanks for you review. Just regarding the 3D features was the 3D quality on this phenomenal, was it full on in-depth 3D as if the images are flying right into your face, and how can you minimize the ghosting/cross-talk would better 3D active glasses and calibration reduce the crosstalk ?.

Thanks in advance