Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Learn more

4.0 out of 5 stars I want SO much give 5 stars., February 28, 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Disney Epic Mickey Collector's Edition (Video Game)
But I can't.

The packaging? Great. The inclusions? Skins? Eh. Statue is cute. Bag of air that protected the statue? Excellent, and rendolent of springtime on the Matterhorn in Disneyland.

The game itself? Graphically - excellent. The gameplay mechanics are pretty well thought out, and the graphics are great. (Spoiler - Tommorrow City reminds me of Disneyland in the '60s.)

The big problems I have with the game are, first - the point of view camera. It varies considerably inside a game, from having the ability to switch your orientation at will (IE look in the direction that Mickey is looking) to going to an eagle-eye view that won't let you see what Mickey's seeing or change the angle of view. It's very frustrating, and causes you to die quickly.

You die a lot in this game, usually in very stupid ways because you can't see where the edges of the platforms or floors are - and if you go off one there's either a deadly drop or a pool of thinner waiting to take you out.

Why can't you see it? Because of the second problem - THE FOLKS WHO CREATED THIS MADE EVERYTHING SO BLASTED DARK! I swear, trying to play this game in spots is like trying to navigate across a landscape strewn with potholes with an occasional streetlight at night with heavy sunglasses on. You will walk off a platform because you can't see the edge. You will jump, and you won't see where you're supposed to land. You will run, and because you can't see the edge you'll go right off it. Turn up the brightness and contrast on the TV and you get... a lighter shade of black and no real definition and you STILL die.

But this time, with eyestrain! What a bonus!

Add in the constant camera angle shifting and restrictions and it's a frustrating, annoying game... and one I'm going to try hard to finish. Why? Because I'm too stubborn for my own good. After spending 5+ hours in Future City trying to figure out what to do (because I couldn't SEE) I ended up going on line for cheats. THAT aggravated me also - I wouldn't have found the way out without them.

Yeah, I've tried all the possible settings - there's no way to adjust the gamma/scene brightness to a point where things are easily visible. I know this is a dark game, but this is ridiculous!

--- Update, April 12th. ---

Okay, I've worked my way through this - it's an excellent game, and I'm glad I've got it. One thing that helped was to play it at night, with the lights turned down in the room. In the daytime? I die. Repeatedly. But that's the nature of games like this, you learn and go on. The ending of the game? Excellent - and there are hints of a possible (though probably not probable) sequel.

One other thing that I somewhat dislike is that you can't go back in the game - if you finish a level it'd be nice to go back and review it, try some different things. But it's a minor quibble.

I'd bump my ratings up to 4 stars each - this was decidedly worth the money!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]