2.0 out of 5 stars bought two of these, Both have the same problem., January 4, 2014
This review is from: Black Box G1W Original Dashboard Dash Cam - Full HD 1080P H.264 2.7" LCD Car DVR Camera Video Recorder with G-Sensor Night Vision Motion Detection WDR 140° Wide Angle 4X Zoom - NT96650 + AR0330 (Electronics)
I recently bought two of these, one for myself and one for my wife. I bought two SanDisk 32gb class 10 cards for these cameras

Product works but there is a big problem, the files seem to get corrupted! One full file is often missing ( for example I can see me getting close to work but the immediate area, parking lot etc is gone) yet I have two files with the same section of a trip! This happens almost all the time. I disabled all the extra features thinking the issue is with the G sensor, motion sensor or the delay circuitry. But it did not help.
The camera has tons of features but its hard to use, most buttons have multiple roles on the instruction is very poor.

On the positive side it comes with the batteries, the suction cup works well so far (it has a lever, not these radar detector cups that you have to lick and they still keep coming off) comes with multiple cables (HDMI etc) movie quality is not 1080p (in photo mode it might?) but its good enough. I did not try to test the G sensor and such since It has a bigger problem with the missing file.

I will keep using them and I promise to let you know if the product falls apart or quits operating, If you don't see an "edit" assume they are operational as described above. Also if the manufacturer reads this and will attempt to help I will edit my review as well.

At this point I can't recommend, missing files are unacceptable!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 4, 2014 11:42:23 PM PST
I saw a review of this camera that stated it only reliably supports class 4 or class 6 micro SDHC cards. I gave a friend one of these for Christmas and he's experiencing the same issue with his camera and I had also bought the Sandisk 32 GB class 10 card. I received my 32 GB class 6 today but wont be able to give it to him for a few days to see if it fixes the problem.
Here is the review I saw that mentions the problem with class 10 cards on this camera: http://youtu.be/Eo76bkytA3o

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2014 10:30:56 PM PST
K. K. Cialon says:
Seth, Thanks for help. The review on YT does not mention why or what the problems are with class 10, It might had been an older version of the same camera (they have different chipsets etc, in the same body) If you could kindly provide an update as soon as you find out ifthe class 6 fixes the issue? I just spend 50 bucks on 2 cards that I have no other uses for so I dont feel like buying two more without being shure. It would be sweet if that solves it since the I am happy with my cameras other than the missing files

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2014 10:29:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2014 10:36:41 PM PST
Eric says:
I have read reviews of similar cameras that also have problems with all brands (and sizes) of class 10 cards. Unfortunately, they say they are having problems specifically with SANDISK brand class 6 & 4 cards as well. I have 3 different 720P and 1080P car and "keychain" style cameras and I used to always get the class 10 cards. I was experiencing the same problems as you and I thought it was just the performance of a sub $50 camera. I then ran across the articles about the problems of using class 10 cards, and although it wasn't exactly the same camera as mine, I decided to give the class 6 a try. I was at Big Lots a few days later and I noticed they had LEXAR brand 16GB class 6 cards on sale for $8.88, so I grabbed a few. The problem of missing files and unexpected ending of files disappeared. Another friend of mine with the same camera as me bought some HP brand class 6 cards and his camera works fine now also. I still use the SANDISK 16GB & 32GB class 10 cards for my Sony Camcorder and GOPRO, as they work great and are recommended in the higher end cameras. If there is a Micro Center store (or Big Lots) near you, they both have the 16GB class 6 cards for under $10. Micro Center has several brands of the 32GB class 6 cards at a great price as well.

Posted on Jan 9, 2014 8:00:33 PM PST
Ok I finally got results. The new memory (class 6) alone did NOT make a difference, but I found a setting that DID fix it. The friend I gave the camera to had the Motion Sensor set to on and that was causing the camera to shut off video when it didn't see enough movement going on. Yesterday he just went through settings and set the Motion Sensor to off and now he's getting full 2 minute long videos without any gaps between files. So he's got the class 6 memory (samsung 32 GB class 6) and the motion sensor off.

I don't know if the original class 10 memory would have worked now that the motion sensor is off, but I think it probably would work.

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 10:50:02 PM PST
vako86 says:
Recently i was chatting with a Chinese seller of G1W and he told me that the cameras have that problem with class 10 cards and recommended class 4 cards, but it also may be problem of motion sensor option turned on.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2014 7:15:29 AM PDT
cnguyen says:
I just got my card and the problem with recording (i.e., it was recording only for about 30-60 seconds but then restart after another 30 seconds) was definitely the motion sensor. I just wanted to confirm what Seth said for anyone else having the same issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2014 2:55:01 PM PDT
Tommy says:
I just bought the latest (2014) version of the G1W and like it but I'm getting memory error messages as well. I have a 32GB scandisk class 10. Today I took off the loop recording and ran it...ran good for 24 minutes, then, memory error. Turned it off...then back on...ran again until I stopped. I hear they have a good support site but can't find it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2014 9:54:59 PM PDT
Some people have said that they've been able to get it to work by using the format option in the camera to reformat the memory card.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2014 4:07:26 AM PDT
Tommy says:
Thanks...Will try.

Posted on Mar 30, 2014 2:05:52 PM PDT
Bryan says:
looks like you need to use a class 4 or 6 card, not a 10. Try that maybe?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›