4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Best Compact Camera, Period!, July 23, 2013
This review is from: Canon EOS M 18.0 MP Compact Systems Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and EF-M 22mm STM Lens (Electronics)
I have been on the market for a while to buy a mirrorless compact DSLR with APS-C sensor. I bought a Sony NEX 5 camera (before this little Canon released.) I loved the compactness and snappy performance of NEX. I was able take some good photos with that. Yet my photos always lacked this magical look that my semi-professional photographer friends' photos have. I tried to play with the camera settings extensively on my NEX to get what other cameras are producing but I rarely get something that is even remotely close to that. Of course they were using these really expensive cameras with absolutely amazing prime lenses but I still thought that my $700 NEX should have been able to at least be satisfying. Well, it wasn't. At least with the lenses it came with. I didn't want to start investing in NEX prime lenses (which I tried and loved btw) as I thought it was an expensive proposition to be stuck at NEX format. Then I started searching to find a better yet more affordable camera.....

I have tried a number of cameras; All Sony NEX Cameras (good performance if you have good lenses), Olympus four third cameras(small sensor), Fuji X series(super crazy expensive camera and lenses but regardless great cameras), Nikon (small sensor-lack of lenses), Panasonic four thirds (small sensor) and some more. That's when I wanted to give the Canon EOS-M a try despite all those really bad professional reviews that bashed the camera mostly due to the autofocus problems. Ohh boy, thank god I gave this camera a chance. In an instant, right out of the package I was able to start taking photos almost like my friends' photos... Vibrant, gorgeous colors with satisfyingly beautiful bookeh. Super zippy performance with amazing lens. Really though, the lens that the camera came with (22mm f2.0) is the superhero. It instantly gives you the "professional photo look" with its bright aperture at f2. This what gives you those beautiful blurry backgrounds. No other compact camera comes with a lens this bright and wide angle. Nothing even close. Trust me when I say this but the difference between this lens and the other lenses that the other cameras come with is just night and day. You would have to pay another $300 to thousands to get some prime lenses with an f2 aperture at least.

I bought a new lens adapter which is $99 on ebayCanon EOS M Mount Adapter and a 50mm f1.8 prime lens (an all time classic) which is just $121 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens.With the adapter now I can tap into the extensive Canon lens portfolio as well.

Touch screen is not a novelty at all, it really is the best thing ever. It is just a bliss to be able to touch the screen and focus something in the background or foreground without moving the camera. You don't have to center the object to focus at all. Wherever the object is, just click on and there it is. This is particularly helpful when you are shooting video with camera fixed where you focus foreground and background as you wish. Super artistic, almost movie quality video is possible.

Autofocus is not a huge problem at all with the new firmware. In general, autofocus always becomes somewhat slower when you have a bright large aperture like this lens, unless your camera and your lens are both no less than $1,500. That being said, I really never had an instance where I thought I was having a problem with autofocus. The camera is able to focus pretty fast. (see the update below)

You can never complain when you get all this for $299. I am not sure if this is still available for that price but even at $500 it would be a steal.

UPDATE: Ok, after using the camera for a couple of months, I have become a little less enthused about it. Yes it still is a great camera but after my baby is born I realized that autofocus can become quite a pain, sometimes.... Autofocus is generally acceptable with the 22mm stm lens but with the other lenses (read, non-stm) it is a quite bit of a challange especially under low lighr or contrast light conditions. So it is 4 star review now...

[Add comment]