Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars Installed On MacBook Pro, August 11, 2010
As background, I'm a heavy personal computer user but certainly not a techie. I'm an insurance and real estate broker in Houston, TX. I would rate my technical knowledge as medium.

I bought the 64-bit builder pack to install on a new MacBook Pro. Followed the Apple Boot Camp instructions and was up and running in less than an hour. Couldn't have been easier. Love the MacBook Pro but one critical business web site only supports IE Explorer and several others have issues with Safari (plus Chrome, Firefox and others as well). The builder pack has all the features and is sold for a clean install on a new computer. It was exactly what I needed.

Running both Windows7 and Snow Leopard for me is the only way to go. There's some keyboard differences but nothing significant. I may try Parallels 5.0 down the road but Boot Camp works fine for now.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 11 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 9, 2010 1:20:00 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 9, 2010 1:21:03 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 9, 2010 1:20:46 PM PDT
MR says:
I am also looking to use Windows for just an application or two on my MacBook Pro, through BootCamp, but I'm not sure what "Builder Pack" means relative to the product called "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium." Is this "Builder Pack" really all I need?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2010 3:04:28 AM PDT
terryw says:
Builder Pack is a full version of Windows 7. It's all you need for installation on your MacBook Pro using Boot Camp. I installed mine a month ago. I have an OEM Windows 7 on a computer at work. No difference whatsoever.

Posted on Sep 14, 2010 7:13:10 AM PDT
Pablo says:
Twill - you should really look in to VMWare Fusion. I tried Boot Camp and Parallels, but VMWare was the best solution. I hate having to restart with BC and with Parallels, the computer seemed very slow, as if though I had a million tasks running... I have a brand new MacBook Pro with 4GB of memory so I know that it's not the computer. Plus VMWare gives you a free trial and is very cheap. Just my $0.02. Thanks for your review, I just bought this Win 7.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2010 5:02:03 AM PDT
Alan Somers says:
Be aware that OEM versions do not include Microsoft technical support. By not having the expense of tech support to deal with, Microsoft is able to sell it at a lower price. I would not recommend an OEM version for anybody but an experienced computer user, unless they have a person acting as IT support.

Posted on Sep 29, 2010 8:42:27 PM PDT
LMB says:
Bought this based on your review (with the help of the other 5 stars!) to install on a mac. The box just got here and it says "....,it also must be preinstalled on the hard drive of the fully assembled computer system, using the OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK)". Did you have to use this kit?? We're not to excited about that particular comment on the box.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2010 4:01:13 AM PDT
terryw says:
Nope. Just followed Boot Camp's instructions. No problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2010 4:03:41 AM PDT
terryw says:
Nope. Just followed Boot Camp's instructions. No problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2010 2:36:01 PM PDT
I have an iMac, and I need a Windows OS to run IE for a specific website as well. Would this work for me? The word "system builder" seems kinda technical to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2010 1:17:46 AM PDT
terryw says:
If you have Booy Camp on your Mac OS version then the Windows 7 builder pack is all you need. Installed mine about two monhs ago. You may want to also buy Parallels if you want to use both OS systems at the same time. Since I use Windows 7 about 95% of the time, Boot Camp works fine.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›