4.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling, Riveting Must Buy Novel!, April 3, 2011
This review is from: Divergent (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Divergent was definitely a new riveting tale that had me rapidly flipping the pages in a reading frenzy! It starts off with the reader getting to know the lifestyle of Beatrice, a sixteen year old girl, in a dystopian or controlled world, where there are five factions of people: Abnegation who put others before their own needs and where Beatrice is currently from, the Dauntless who are brave and fearless, the Erudite who are studious, the Amity who are peaceful, and the Candor who are honest. Before Choosing Day, where each sixteen year old will decide which faction they wish to devote their life to, is a simulated aptitude test that will tell Beatrice which faction she would fit in most with...but for her life will never be simple. Instead of having just one of these traits as is normal, Beatrice possesses at least three, which makes her a dangerous person for reasons she doesn't understand, and answers are not forthcoming as she has to keep this information to herself or risk being killed.

From there Beatrice has to make her own mark in the world, and ultimately makes a decision that will change the rest of her life. No more does she portray the meek, silent girl with no spirit, but instead forces herself to rise up to the challenges she faces in both the initiation and in her life. For if she lets her guard down, she faces becoming factionless, without friends or family, but what she doesn't expect to find along her new path is what she yearned for all along. To understand who she really is.

Divergent is one novel that had me jumping out of my seat, biting my nails to the quick as I was drawn into Beatrice's world, cheering her on one minute, and wanting to cry with her the next. She does have her moments where she seems a little cold like when she wishes one boy would stop sniveling, and you see why Abnegation didn't suit her. But then the next minute she is putting herself in danger for someone else, and you understand why she has a bit of a split personality. She's been born into a society that believes you can only have one quality, and she has to figure out on her own that being brave dosen't mean that she has to give up being selfless as well. As she fights to stay in the competition, for only ten initiates will be able to call their new faction familiy, I couldn't help but root for her. Beatrice has a lot to learn, but it's through obstacles and the friendship's she makes that she ultimately finds herself. This is one book that I wholeheartedly recommend to anyone who loves action, bravery, a little romance, and a ton of adventure. Be forewarned that it will have you sitting on the edge of your seat and eagerly anticipating a sequel!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 19, 2011 4:21:31 PM PDT
I found this review informative without giving away the whole story. Lee with her/his use of descriptive expressions draws you in and makes you want to get into the story of Beatrice's journey to dicover her process and unltimately which path she chose. The reviewer intruiges the reader by suggesting the heroine may ultimately create her own path and risk the consequences of her bravery. I will buy this book soley from the lure os this review and will anxiously await the delivery of same with much anticipation. Thank you, Lee. I am always looking for a good book to read!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 2:39:33 PM PDT
Odessa says:
Thanks for your comment, and I'm happy to have helped!! I hope you enjoy Divergent as much as I did!!

Posted on Jun 30, 2011 1:21:27 PM PDT
I agree with this post. Everything Lee said is correct and I cannot wait till the next book comes out!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2011 1:13:27 PM PDT
Odessa says:
It will definitely be a pre-order as I can't wait also! Thanks for your post!

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 7:45:33 PM PDT
Eric DiPier says:
The only thing I don't understand is how a review like that - enthralling, riveting, must buy, reading frenzy, jumping out of my seat, wholeheartedly recommend, eagerly anticipating a sequel, etc - could equal four stars? What kind of a review would you give a five star book?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 7:48:00 AM PDT
Odessa says:
I have high standards. Don't judge. And while I wrote this review over a year ago, just for you, I'll try to remember why I gave it four stars versus five:

I believe my star status largely stems from it being a dystopian book, but we don't actually glean too much of the world she lives in as the story is focused solely on its characters. I, personally, would've loved to see/know more about the world around Beatrice. For a lot of people I can see where that would be a complete downer. So if you are thinking about reading this book, then don't expect much detailing in the environment other than what Beatrice comes into contact with. Secondly, I think sometimes Bea's character was a little at odds with itself. Like I wrote in my review, one second she's putting herself in danger to help those around her, and yet at other times she's ready to hit somebody because he showed vulnerability. I'm sorry the title of my review seems to conflict with my star rating, and it bugged you, but I think if the world environment would've been a little more detailed I'd have given it a straight up five. If you haven't read Divergent yet, I would still totally recommend it, because while it didn't display Beatrice's world to the fullest extent, the characters, action, and plot more than made up for it.

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 3:27:21 PM PDT
Olivia says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 6:01:07 PM PDT
Odessa says:
Just purchased it! Thanks for the recommendation!! It looks like a fantastic read!

Posted on May 8, 2013 8:54:13 PM PDT
I loved this book also, and I agree with everything you had to say! I read Insurgent, and I can't wait for Allegiant to come out in October!

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 6:13:28 PM PDT
chuchu says:
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (18,913 customer reviews)
 (13,229)