1.0 out of 5 stars The Best Karaoke DVD Of All Time..., December 8, 2009
This review is from: VNV Nation: PastPerfect (Special Edition) (DVD)
I watched my partner's copy of "PastPerfect" last night and frankly I'm surprised that "VNV Nation" ever sold out a gig again after they released this DVD.

Good god, it really is a dreadful example of a live show.

The editors have quite clearly had to splice together about four different gigs to put together even this travesty of a performance. This coupled with the fact that the singer is out of time with "his own" music, forgets all of "his own" lyrics and seems to think that repeatedly yelling the final word of every chorus (whilst repeatedly imploring the crowd to "show me your hands") constitutes some sort of stagecraft gives you some idea of what you can expect.

Seriously, its like watching the drunken exhortations of a hyperventilating farmer from County Kerry who has stumbled upon a Karaoke machine after spending rather too long in the beer tent at a livestock fair.

Were there any rehearsals? I've seen tighter bits of loose string.

I saw "VNV Nation" on the "Future Perfect" tour back in 2001 and I don't remember them being this bad. Then again, perhaps I was just very, very drunk at the time.

That said, If you enjoy watching musical car crashes, then consider this an absolutely essential purchase.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 23, 2010 11:37:01 PM PST
SB says:
exactly how I remeber this concert when I had the misfortune to see it live. the guy was too busy trying to hype the crowd, and delivering rambling commentary on the duo's own greatness to do much of any singing.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2010 9:18:49 PM PDT
James says:
I have no idea what you saw scott, but having been to many live performances of music (over 100) from rock to metal to industrial/techno, and even a couple of symphonies, I can [WITHOUT A DOUBT] say that the VNV Nation show that I attended this past month was THE BEST concert i have ever been to, bar none. I almost never comment on reviews on here, but I'm not going to have some random dude on Amazon deprive someone else who reads his comment, of the best live show, possibly of their life. I have seen Tool twice and VNV's show at a tiny hole in the wall bar was better many times over. Best $20 I have ever spent and I would be first in line to pay $200 for it the next time they come to town. The show alone took me from a mediocre fan, to willing to tattoo Ronan's name on myself.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (19 customer reviews)

$19.98