5.0 out of 5 stars This Screen is Amazing !, July 1, 2012
This review is from: Apple MacBook Pro MC976LL/A 15.4-Inch Laptop with Retina Display (Personal Computers)
Length:: 2:24 Mins

Screen/Diplay: The colors, blacks, whites, crispness of the display is simply incredible.
Here is a short video I made with my 15" MacBook Pro Retina, the video however, does not do the beauty of this screen justice.
Note: the screen is "glossy" which was a concern for me as I always went with matte screens, glossy screens in the past were almost unusable outside or in rooms with direct sunlight. Apple claims to have reduced glare with the retina screen by 70%, and I have to say first hand I believe them, which is a huge plus because the glossy screen always looked better, but if you had any bright lights or sunlight around your laptop it was nearly unreadable. So I am happy to report, the new retina screen even though "glossy" is nearly as non reflective as my previous matte screens, so much so, that I would say it is a non-issue for me. It is that good.

Battery: The battery time is excellent.
Battery times are tricky in general because it completely depends on what you are doing and screen brightness, however I have found that in general use (I.E Websurfing,Email,IM listening to music.) and with screen brightness set around 50% the battery actually last longer than the rated time of 7 hours.)

Form Factor: The MacBook Pro Retina is smaller & lighter than the standard MacBook Pro. With the Retina model weighing in just under 4.5 lbs and its under 3/4 inches thick (If you want to get technical its .71 inches thick). This laptop is a joy to carry around, it is so elegant looking and lightweight. I had a previous generation 15" MacBook Pro and honestly didn't think pre-delivery I would notice that much of a difference but I was wrong, you definitely can and the best part is the laptop doesn't feel flimsy as you might expect with it being so much lighter and thinner.

Heat: Just a short note on the heat the MacBook Pro Retina emits, granted if you are encoding video it is going to get very warm as any laptop will. But one of the most pleasant surprises for me was is how cool the laptop runs under normal usage such as web surfing, email, office apps, it runs much cooler than my previous generation 15" MacBook Pro, also the fans on this machine are dead quiet even in a quiet room. In fact I had to stick my ear up to the laptop to make sure that were even working when I first got it. Considerably less noisy than any laptop I have ever heard.

Ports: The machine has 2 Thunderbolt , 2 USB 3.0, 1 HDMI (out), SDXC (SD Card) Slot, Headphone jack.

Thunderbolt ports: I did purchase the Thunderbolt Gigabit Ethernet Adapter which worked great, I purchased it mainly to initially backup my SSD faster than using WiFI, not necessary I am just impatient. Plus I like having add-ons that I may never use, not sure it's a guy thing. Thunderbolt is in its infancy and truthfully there just isn't a lot of Thunderbolt devices. However, I am happy Apple was looking toward the future with this laptop and opted to put 2 ports on this machine.

USB 3.0: No problems at all with any of my standard USB devices (I.E mouse, printer, etc.) what was extremely impressive was my Lexar JumpDrive Triton 32 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive LJDNV32GCRBNA which was about 7X faster than on my old laptop with USB 2.0 ports. I was blown away how fast it was.

HDMI: Thank you Apple, you finally came around and added this. Plug in an HDMI cable to your HDTV and have your laptop screen on your TV as fast as you can plug the cord in.
It just works, and you are able to send 1080P right to your TV. Not a lot more than I can say other that it works, and it works easily and flawlessly.

SDXC/Headphone: Like above they just work easily and flawlessly. The SD reader was improved over the previous version as I had some troubles with SD cards reading in the past on previous models namely cards not reading the 1st time. This model has read all my cards the 1st time inserted and read every card I have put into it.

Other notes: WiFi receiver seems to be improved it reads a stronger signal than my previous generation MacBook Pro.
The dual built in microphones are a major improvement they do a superb job in reduction of background noise.

The biggest con of this laptop: You will cringe every time you have to use any other laptop again. It's like going from regular TV to HDTV, once you see it you get spoiled and everything else just looks bad.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 5, 2012 2:51:53 AM PDT
S. Lee says:
Thank you for your review...it was quite helpful. I love the desktop wallpaper you have in your video and I wonder if you wouldn't mind telling me where you got it (or if you wouldnt mind emailing it to me at: idimin @ gmail . com). Thank you.

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 7:53:45 PM PDT
N. Kim says:
It's pointless to show the pixel density of the display through a screen recording... You need to get a physical video camera and get as close to the screen as possible to really show how densely packed these pixels are. Zooming in on a photo or on text doesn't do anything either, as they both cause the image/webpage to re-render elements in the highest possible resolution. You need to keep the image/webpage at its standard on-screen zoom and bring the physical camera right up to the screen (I hope you have macro).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 12:31:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 12, 2012 12:32:03 PM PDT
Michael F. says:
The wallpaper is available at www.interfacelift.com.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012 4:43:14 PM PDT
S. Lee says:
Thank you!

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 11:56:17 PM PDT
PacMan says:
Great review, don't let the haters get to ya. I love my new Macbook Pro and I've been actually playing Guild Wars 2 on it through Parallels...yeah, I'm playing a brand new MMO on a Macbook through Parallels and it's running just fine. If I actually ran this high end game through Bootcamp it would run probably just as fast as my gaming rig runs it, but running it through Parallels is just amazing.

If you have any doubts whatsoever about this laptop, don't, it's amazing!

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 7:05:49 PM PDT
Peter says:
your whole video looked blurry and didn't really even show the resolution that you meant to display in the presentation.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 7:34:18 PM PDT
J. Bronson says:
Amazon compress the heck out of the videos to keep the file size down. Nothing really I can do about it.

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 5:01:16 PM PDT
DH says:
I appreciate the review J. I was wondering if you can tell me what's the maximum screen resolution you can set it to use? I'm going to replace what has been a very good Dell laptop that does 1920x1200 on a 15.x" screen and since Dell abandoned the higher resolution options, this laptop has caught my attention. I've read that the highest you can go actually happens to be the same number, 1920x1200, and then MacOS just scales the picture up to the native resolution so it can look smooth. I'd prefer to have just a little bit more, not enough to make text unreadable but close to it, so I can get maximum work stuff on the screen (work for me is mostly text-based).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 8:44:56 AM PST
D. says:
Yep that is correct. That is as far as you can upscale. But its really hard to read the text, especially from a far away distance. I would recommend using the 1680 by 1050 resolution because it is slightly larger, but also it offers enough screen real-estate to satisfy you.

Oh and thanks for the review. It really came in handy. I had the chance to get either this rMBP or a Samsung series 9 and I know I made the right choice. Well...I got both of them, but the Mac is better. I also saw that you configured it to the highest settings available. Did you get it through Amazon or Apple I wonder. Well thanks for the review because it was very thorough and made clear sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 9:01:46 AM PST
DH says:
I ended up buying the rMBP and am loving it so far. I added a utility called SwitchResX and I've found that the screen is very usable in 2048x1280 and even 2560x1440 if your eyes are good. My old Dell did an unusually high 1920x1200 so I was already used to things being somewhat small, and the great quality of the rMBP display allows me to go to higher resolution while things are still visible. I can fit a ton of stuff on the display so it's perfect for work. When my wife uses it I drop it back down to one of the regular resolutions. SwitchResX lets you do it from the bar at the top of the screen so one click and you're back to normal resolution.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (264 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $1,450.00