4.0 out of 5 stars Only one thing keeps it from a 5-star rating..., March 29, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
Monster Hunter.

It is my favorite series of all time. I started gaming in the 80's with the NES. I've owned the NES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Super NES, Genesis, Turbo Grafix 16, Playstation, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, PSP, PS Vita...

Monster Hunter is my favorite series.

I've played literally hundreds of hours across Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Monster Hunter Portable 3rd. I don't think it's necessary to describe Monster Hunter at this point. In short, it's all kinds of awesome. But one thing keeps this game from being a 5 star game in my opinion...

NO ONLINE MULTIPLAYER.

Yes, I know that no portable Monster Hunter has ever had online multiplayer, but this is different. This is not the PSP. This is not the DS. This is the 3DS and the year is 2013. It is inexcusable to release a game that is practically MP focused without the ability to play online.

It works in Japan because everybody and their brother owns a copy, but this isn't Japan and Capcom doesn't seem to get that. This game needs online multiplayer in the United States WITHOUT NEEDING TO OWN A Wii U.

That said, if you have a friend or two to hunt with, this may be a 5 star game for you. I plan on going as far as I can playing solo, which will be a challenge.

It's Monster Hunter, it's awesome, I love it, but I can't give it a 5-star rating when it's missing such a crucial feature.

4/22/13 EDIT: In my review I said "I plan on going as far as I can playing solo, which will be a challenge." I've gotten pretty far. I managed to solo my way up to G-Rank, which I'm proud of. There's a great sense of pride in killing G-Rank monsters solo. A real sense of accomplishment. I stand by my original rating (because online MP would launch this game from "very, very good" to "best portable game on the market"), but don't be scared away by the lack of online MP. This game shouldn't be missed.

[Add comment]