Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

2.0 out of 5 stars Comparing the SX50-HS & Panasonic DMC-FZ70, September 10, 2013
This review is from: Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ70 16.1 MP Digital Camera with 60x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3-Inch LCD (Black) (Electronics)
Check out the set of photos I took this morning & uploaded to this page comparing the SX50-HS & Panasonic DMC-FZ70. The comparison was done in Intelligent Automatic, Hand held, pictures taken within seconds of each other. Cannon takes sharper images, with more dynamic range & depth of field. I will be returning the Panasonic FZ-70. ..too bad... Panasonic FZ70 didn't advance the state of the art...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 150 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 10, 2013 11:02:26 AM PDT
Amature reviews like this do not help people select a camera. Usually the person either didn't read the manual, doesn't know how to correctly use the camera, are not professionals, works for another camera company, and give very unprofessional advice. Better off reading reviews by professionals/professional websites like these: http://www.steves-digicams.com/#b & http://www.dpreview.com/ Others are:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-fz70/panasonic-fz70A.HTM http://benchmarkreviews.com/2312/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz70-digital-camera-debuts-with-20-1200mm-dc-vario-lens/

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2013 11:10:07 AM PDT
We Are 1 says:
I wonder if Harlan works for Panasonic or one of its advertising agencies? Both cameras were on Auto....Don't need to read too much of a manual for that... None of the professional review sites have done a side by side photo comparison yet. I wanted to see for myself & thought other "amateurs" might be interested too...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2013 11:17:02 AM PDT
We Are 1 says:
Harlan recommends you read the "unbiased" "Professional" review by "By Panasonic Consumer Marketing Company of North America" at http://benchmarkreviews.com/2312/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz70-digital-camera-debuts-with-20-1200mm-dc-vario-lens/#eATfwg3RqkCGLigs.99".This is a press release, not a review...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2013 11:48:36 AM PDT
David Marks says:
I must be missing something here, Vanamali! Where is the link to the photos you say you took, comparing the two cameras.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2013 11:52:49 AM PDT
We Are 1 says:
Link to my photos is on the FX70 product page, photos, upper left where it currently says "See all 12 customer images" They are labeled SX50-Hs & DMC-FX70.

Posted on Sep 10, 2013 12:00:39 PM PDT
With all due respect, I believe the FZ70 held up very well next to the Canon and there was more richness of color in the Pany. I'll bet the pictures fired much faster with Pany than the Canon too... I wouldn't be so quick to return it. But that's just me. Good luck nonetheless. Appreciate the input.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2013 12:17:50 PM PDT
We Are 1 says:
The Panasonic feels great... fast start up, fast shot to shot, fast focus, great shutter button feel. I find the on/off lever a bit awkward & the ELF is grainy. Over the years the Panasonic bridge cameras, I have owned have taken really bright, crisp, detailed pics. The Cannon SX50-HS often takes too soft a pic for my taste (mostly birding, hand held, full optical zoom, challenging light). I was hoping this Panasonic offered more detail and dynamic range than the Cannon... but in these shots the Cannon looks better to my eye.... Thanks, Melissa....

Posted on Sep 10, 2013 12:18:05 PM PDT
G. F. T. says:
I agree with Vanamali. I have seen a comparison of both cameras side by side and the Canon photos looked better to my eyes. And I am not bias to any brand,my cameras include Canon,Panasonic,Nikon and Sony. I do not care what the stats of a camera are and who has reviewed them or the brand. What counts is the quality of photo I get from them.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2013 12:21:43 PM PDT
David Marks says:
I'm looking at your comparisons, Vanamali, and so far I think the Pany is at least as good as the Canon. In the statues photo, the background and other portions of the picture are actually sharper in the Panasonic photo. However in that picture, the FZ70 exposure is brighter, which changes how one sees the main statue itself.

The football photo(s) don't give me anything to compare, you must have forgotten to include both shots.

As for the quail photos, the bird is facing the other way in the one photo, otherwise I don't see any quality difference, plus it was hand held, so your hand movement might have accounted for what you see.

With the two blue jay pictures, they're very similar, although the Canon photo may be slighter sharper. BUT this is also apples and oranges because the FZ70 photo shows the cable the bird is standing on, IN SHADOW, and the other photo was taken without any shadow. So they couldn't have been taken at the very same time, or else
something else changed. The FZ70 didn't magically include the bottom of the cable in a shadow...

I would love to agree with you, if I thought you were correct, but you didn't really make your point with these particular photos here. Sorry...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2013 12:28:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 10, 2013 12:34:27 PM PDT
David Marks says:
Also, Vanamali, I definitely did NOT notice that the Canon had "more depth of field". In fact, in the statue photos, I blew both of your shots up and carefully checked the background and foreground and I really think the Panasonic had slight better depth of field. BUT, I can't trust that comparison because you used "auto" and one or more of the important variables may have differed slightly. For instance, the f-stop may have been slightly different, which would have changed the depth of field. You just haven't made your point because you didn't keep important variables constant, and you hand-held your photos...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next ›