2.0 out of 5 stars If you care about audio quality STICK TO DVD!!!!, October 26, 2010
This review is from: Peanuts Holiday Collection (A Charlie Brown Christmas / It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown / A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
The video quality of these specials on Blu-ray is, as was the case with the release of Charlie Brown Christmas last year, simply the best these specials have ever looked on home video, period. That would make them an instant purchase, if only...

Warner Home Video remastered the audio of all these specials with a very cheesy faux 5.1 surround, giving the audio a hokey, echo-filled sound that just sounds very, very wrong. They sound as if they were processed through a "faux surround" mode found on the cheapest surround processor available.

Worse, because there is an echo added to the tracks, even if your processor or TV has a "mono" mode you CANNOT restore the audio to the original mono soundtrack most of us have heard for years, meaning that if you buy these for any kind of decent experience you need to WATCH the Blu-ray but sync up the DVD release for the AUDIO.

Warner Home Video could have EASILY included the original mono soundtracks as well, but decided that hokey fake surround would be a better choice, so ironically, sound quality-wise the mono Spanish audio tracks are BETTER.

As most of the reviews concentrate on the VIDEO quality of these releases, you likely would never know until you placed these discs in your player, hit play and wondered just what went wrong with the sound.

I can't say to stay away - I'll keep mine for the video quality and because I doubt I could get a decent price for these on the second-hand market - but be warned that if you are expecting that sound you've heard from years of TV runs or on the DVDs, you'll be SORELY disappointed.

Update: Note the 2011 release of this collection features the same horrid 5.1 DD mix as the earlier release. Stay away if you like the audio until WB gives us the original English 1.0 track back...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 29, 2010 2:35:08 AM PDT
V. Esquivias says:
Thanks for mentioning the audio on the Blu-ray release. I was really looking forward to buying these, but after hearing about the audio, I'm definitely re-considering even getting these at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2010 10:26:48 AM PST
Gojira says:
The original mono audio tracks should have been included. Period. I listened to these on a 7.1 Onkyo and I too felt let down. There is no reason the original mono stem could not be an option. Even with the extras, surely there was ample space to provide options to the viewer. Regrettable.

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 8:05:08 PM PST
A. DeHart says:
Thanks for the warning us about the audio. I too almost bought these especially now with the lightning deal special for $16 but the audio would definitely ruin the experience for me. Thanks for saving me from this purchase.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 10:19:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 10:20:15 AM PST
(re:2011 Blu-ray release) Maybe it depends on what system this is watched on, for me only the music and sound effects were re-done in faux 5.1 surround.
I actually like the re-mastered music, it sounds more like a live performance.
The voices are still in untouched mono, but the sound effects in 5.1 surround and seem to have more depth.
Obviously this re-mix was performed of the master audio recordings to keep the dialogue in original mono.

I do agree that Warner should have given us the option to listen to the original Mono mix, there is absolutely no reason to omit this. However it is not a deal-breaker for me as I have these on DVD in the decade sets.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 4:51:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 4:51:59 PM PST
ZTT Fan says:
Note also that for most, the music is a good part of why these specials ARE so special, and to hear it in artificially processed stereo is an abomination.

As I said, if you could at least get back the original sound by selecting "mono" that's one thing, but the phasing effects the artificial stereo creation induces are still audible and disconcerting even then.

You can put on the mono Spanish tracks to hear how much better the overall balance is in the original mono mix.

Thankfully, the mono is still (thankfully) available on the SD DVDs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 1:47:14 AM PST
I agree that the music is 50% of the fun, and the original mono tracks should have been offered. But I didn't find the mix bad, just different. I want to check my old CD Soundtracks to these specials to hear how those stereo mixes compare to the Blu-ray stereo mix. The original music tracks may have been recorded in stereo knowing there would be a soundtrack album.

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 10:42:41 AM PDT
mjovanovic says:
The audio didn't sound so bad to me but thanks for mentioning it I guess. I watched these as a kid so the visual improvement meant the most to me.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›