5.0 out of 5 stars Good display and features - well worth the price, April 27, 2009
This review is from: Casio Watch - A178WGA1A (Size: men) (Watch)
My Seiko gold digital wristwatch suffered from internal rusting and couldn't be adjusted unless I opened the case and jumpered some contacts, so it was time to buy a new digital wristwatch. Very few watchmakers offer digital models anymore, so my choices were limited mostly to Timex or Casio. After reading many user reviews it seemed that Casio had the edge, so I looked for a gold Casio digital watch that included a light, stopwatch and alarm.

The model A-178WGA had all the features I wanted. Granted, it has a resin case (instead of gold-plated metal) and a cheaper looking watchband than the Seiko had, but it also cost less than $30 where the Seiko cost me over $100 about 12 years ago. It is also a bit thicker and wider than the Seiko, but not so much that it is a problem for me. I do like the larger numbers on the display and the light works much better than the Seiko did. In fact, the Seiko light really did not illuminate the display correctly and was essentially useless.

The only downside to the Casio A-178WGA is that the button that changes it from a 12hr to 24hr display is located where it can be too easily pushed when you put your hand in a hip pocket. I have occasionally found my watch in 24hr mode. It would have been better if it required the sequential pressing of two different buttons to change the time mode.

I liked the band better on the Seiko because it stayed in a closed circle and expanded with a "z" hinge to open. It could be easily slipped over my hand and then closed around my wrist using my other hand. Because the Casio band fully opens, it is a bit harder to drape the band around my wrist and then hold one end of the band in place while trying to get the other end to clasp in place. I would use the Seiko band with the Seiko, but the gold colors do not match. I am getting used to the Casio band and can get it snapped in place most of the time on the first try.

The controls are fairly easy to figure out without using the manual. If you are used to the usual settings of a digital watch, you should be fine with this one.

I have only had the watch one month, so I cannot comment on durability or long-term time accuracy. The specifications say it will keep time accurate to +- 30 seconds per month. That is as good as the Seiko.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]