1.0 out of 5 stars disapointed, September 7, 2012
This review is from: Dell Inspiron 14z 14-Inch Laptop Core i5-3317U 1.7GHz 6GB 32GB SSD+500GB DVD±RW (Personal Computers)
From the very beginning started to have problems with the Internet connection. Sometimes it just disappears. It is not my wifi, because other two notebooks I have work perfectly well. Googled it and seems like a common problem on dell notebooks with Windows 7. I also find the touch-pad not very responsive: you have to hit it really hard in order to make a click. I tried to change that in the settings, but could not. Tried to contact the support service yesterday, but they were not very helpful. Very negative impressions so far. Stay away from it.

Update: the problem of internet connection was solved after contacting the support service. However, I still have problems with the touch pad. Although I managed to also solve the touch pad problem described above, it is still not very responsive and jittery. For some reason the clicklock or draglock (or I don't know what that function is called) activates by itself every time I start the machine. To deactivate it I just have to open and immediately close the mouse properties window. To avoid this problem I just use a regular mouse. I am also not very happy with the battery life. It doesn't last more than 3-4 hours with normal browsing.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 10, 2012 12:08:44 PM PDT
DellTeam says:
(MANUFACTURER)
Hello RP,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Inspiron 14z Ultrabook (5423). We are sorry to hear that this product is not meeting expectations. I understand that this must be very frustrating for you. Product reviews and customer comments play an important role in helping us identify customers that may need additional assistance.

I understand from your review that you have already contacted our front-line support and still have not received an adequate resolution. Considering that you have also ruled out your home network as part of the concern with the WiFi and you have already made adjustments to the sensitivity settings for the TouchPad, I would advise that you contact our Social Support Team right away.

They can look into this matter on your behalf, as well as, diagnose and resolve your concerns ASAP! We are here to listen and respond to our customers' needs and I hope that we can turn this around for you.

* You can reach our Social Support Team directly via Facebook (http://bit.ly/HlJ9LZ); Twitter - @DellCares (http://bit.ly/Hhh2SQ); or the Dell Community Forums (http://dell.to/GY65Xz).

Again, thank you for your feedback, and have a great day - GinaVatDell.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 10:56:16 PM PST
From day one I have had trouble with this computer. I bought mine straight from dell. You cant click on anything on the right hand side of the screen and expect it to do it anything. trying to close out of a page by clicking on the x is a joke. It will click out after about 30 seconds or so. I had sent my first one back, the second one does the same exact thing. I evern had dell people on and checking the system but what they were checking wasnt the problem. If you have more than one screen open you cant click out of it unless you go to the bottom and click close and sometimes that doesnt even work. The dell people acted as if i was the stupidest person out there. I have had several dell laptops and never had this type of issue. I didnt send this one back because i needed a computer to write papers, enter grades, etc. This will definitely be the last computer I buy from dell ever. The problem becomes more than apparent after being on the internet for awhile but of course they cant stay on my computer that long. Not just internet though cause i cant even close out of word or powerpoint sometimes. They tried to tell me it was something i did. The told me not to use internet explorer--why not? Then they said it was because i downloaded stuff, even talked me into buying all sorts of programs for a total of 300 bucks and guess what----didnt do a darn thing except prove i was gullible enough to be talked into buying 300 dollars worth of programs. Tried to tell them that it was happening new out of box but wouldnt listen, happened again with new out of the box second computer. I gave up talking to dell so now i have this piece of crap computer that is only good for certain things. Beware!!! Both of the computers i got from dell did the same exact thing so pretty sure it is some sort of glitch. If you do get the computer, hope that you one from a different batch or something. Horrible, horrible, horrible.....

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 10:10:08 AM PST
L. Mortensen says:
Umm, maybe you haven't owned a laptop before, but it's typical for them to only get 3-4 hours worth of battery life if they are being used. Hard to find any that get better than that. If you want longer battery life, you need to got to a tablet...

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 2:04:12 PM PST
Kaija says:
What did support do to fix the internet/wifi problem? I'm having the same issue & can't seem to fix it based upon suggestions I'm finding here. This laptop is brand new & I refuse to call & pay to get it fixed b/c they sent a defective product into the marketplace.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 11:25:41 AM PST
Supo Orims says:
I too was having some internet connections issues and after a couple of calls to Dell, I was helped by a tech that went to Wireless Device Driver and made the follow values under the Advanced Tab and it helped!!!

802.11b Preamble = long only
802.11n Bandwidth = 20 Hz/40Hz Auto
Network Address = 1234567890AB
recieve buffers = 256
scan valid interval = 60
Transmit buffers = 512

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 7:12:56 PM PST
meticulous says:
This didn't work. The wifi adapter on this laptop is cheap and weak, it's short range, I have to be close to our router for it to work. I shouldn't have bought this laptop.

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 8:57:19 PM PST
In my case I did not have any kind of problem with WiFi. The touchpad was somehow too sensitive and difficult to "click" with. But just after a day I got used to it and experimenting no problem. The Battery life is an issue if I compare it to my Acer laptop that easily give me 5 hours of juice before asking for energy; however, as some people say laptops usually give only 3-4 hours.

I don´t agree giving this great machine only 1 star for those minimal issues. I would accept 3 or 4 stars. I personally gave it 5 stars because of the cost-profiency realtion,

Posted on Apr 10, 2013 4:46:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 10, 2013 5:15:07 AM PDT
Le Yang says:
Hi RP,good morning. Can you tell me how the service solve the problem of internet connection and how long will they take to fix it? Thanks a lot for your help. I have a Dell - Inspiron Ultrabook too.

Posted on Apr 10, 2013 11:48:58 AM PDT
Dan says:
I recently bought this computer, Feb. 2013, and am experiencing the same problem w/ the WIFI, it drops the connection every couple of minutes. The problem is not the WIFI signal because you can have another laptop sitting right next to it using the same WIFI signal w/o any problems. This computer is being used by my daughter at school out of state so she had to call Dell customer service. She talked w/ them for 45 min. and the only thing they offered was for her to uninstall the anti-virus program, AVG, and to purchase some additional software and a service plan which cost almost $200. I think this is insulting, this computer is almost brand new and having problems that seem to be well known, just look at similar complaints on Amazon and Google. I can't believe Dell does not have a standard fix for this problem. The other problem that I find extremely irritating is that when my daughter called customer service, 1-800-624-9896, she was obviously talking to someone in India. She could barely understand them and it was fairly obvious that they were reading from some type of manual that had a list of common problems and solutions. They appeared to have no technical expertise. If you cannot understand the person assisting you, you should have the option to ask for a native english speaker. I will try again to contact Dell but if this is an ongoing problem I will probably have to send the computer back and purchase another brand. So far i am very disappointed w/ this purchase.

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 8:44:43 AM PDT
Q. HUANG says:
Mine still have the problem of wireless connection. How do you solve that?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›