4.0 out of 5 stars Good Camera for the price....., August 27, 2012
This review is from: Olympus TG-320 14 MP Tough Series Camera with 3.6x Optical Zoom (Blue) (Electronics)
I bought this camera for an upcoming trip to Legoland Ca. where my kids would probably spend most of their time at the waterpark area. So for fun I thought it would be nice to get a waterproof camera.

I am not a camera expert by any means, I currently own a Sony HX5V which is my primary Camera and without a doubt the best one I have ever owned.

The Olympus is a good product, and the pictures came out a lot better than I was expecting. They were clear and impressive. The video was pretty good too. I have not had the time to try all the setting, or my pic's and video might have come out better.

Was it waterproof? Yes, it was. I had to recharge it several times during our trip and not once did it fail. I have also used it at our local waterpark since then and it is holding up fine. One issue it to be extra, extra careful not to get anything on the glass lense or water droplets will stick to it, causing some pictures to come out bad. I really enjoyed not having to worry being splashed or having the camera fall under the water. Once out of the water, the HX5V did the job.... :)

I did take some shots underwater and they came out fine, in fact a few of them were really good. Got to get my kids to be able to hold their breath longer though so there is more time for the bubbles to float away, but they are only 4 and 6 so it will take time. I am sure as I get used to it, I will learn how to use the various settings better to enhance my picture taking experience.

My only complaint and I know I am not the first to mention it is the battery life. I am used to getting 250+ shots and video out of the Sony with no issues (and many of the videos are well over 5min). This camera probably gets slightly above 90 day shots before the camera starts to die (and what few videos I took were all under 4min ea.)

I will post a couple of the pictures I took with this camera when I get time.

Would I buy this camera again? I would, it is a good camera for the price,and my family spends a lot of time in the water, just make sure to have another camera handy for all land shots, becuase you have to soak it 10 minutes in tap water, let it dry out before you can even begin to charge it. So there is not really a reason to buy a second battery since you cannot change it when necessary. Probably why many people have trouble with the waterproof failures.

I hope this review was helpful. Sorry I do not have a lot of technical stuff to compare and review.

UPDATE: 6/16/2013

The Camera is still doing great. I have taken great care to follow the instructions and we have not had any leaks. This camera is still waterproof. Although now I must admit that I have gotten a lot more confident and will be purchasing a spare battery to make up for the short lifespan. With summer upon us, I have been playing around by drying the camera with my beach towel, giving it about 5min in the sun, and would open and close the carmera. NO ISSUES! I am sure I can change the battery without worry. I would not attempt if we were at the beach or someplace that something could get lodged in it.

Anyway, the camera is still a great deal for the price. :)

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]