5.0 out of 5 stars A Milestone in Fantasy, January 22, 2010
This review is from: Mistborn Trilogy Boxed Set (Mistborn, The Hero of Ages, & The Well of Ascension) (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the most entertaining fantasy series I've read to date. When I picked this book up I was really was just trying to be supportive since I had been listening to the podcast Brandon is involved in (Writing Excuses, a must listen even if you like writing for fun.). He made a few minor mentions of Mistborn so I put it on my shopping list.

I probably wouldn't have picked these books up on my own (the girl on the the cover looked like an elf to me and as soon as I saw dark lord I may have cringed.) but halfway through Mistborn : Final Empire Series (Book #1) (Mistborn, Book 1) I ordered the box set and the next two books only got better. Each book is intertwined with a sub-story that occurred 1000 years in the past which could have been its own book. A list will make my point more easily since I'm not the kind of person to write a thought out review.

-----------------------What you get---------------------

1. Three well thought out and imaginative magic systems. (Ex. The ability to manipulate the emotions of others, and being able to magnetize yourself by using different metals as fuel.)

2. A mysterious world of ash and mist which is just as interesting a character as any of others and such a wide range of characters that you're almost guaranteed to find one you'll grow attached to.

3. Epic battles and assassins that make ninjas look like cripples. (No offense to cripples, you're just not known for your skills in hand to hand combat.)

4. A god emperor that can have a name like "Lord Ruler" and still be terrible.(I thought the name was hilarious at first but it grew on me.)

There is a bit of character time (Thinking and talking about nothing of great importance to the plot.) So this series isn't for those who want to see development over a few minutes of reading.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]