5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic Micro 4/3 12-35 mm lens, July 14, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic H-HS12035 LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm/F2.8 ASPH X Series Lens (Electronics)
I borrowed this lens from a pro photgrapher friend who purchased it in Japan (have since purchased my own lens). Paired it up with my new Olympus OMD E-5 Micro 4/3 and was totally blown away by the lens and of course camera combination. The other reviewer went into great detail about it's technical merits - so wont bore you with mine as he was spot on and we are on the same page.

This lens coupled with the OMD E-5 produced photographs as good as my Nikon D700 with fixed prime lens at a much lighter weight factor. Could not beleive the quality of the construction on lens and camera - both built like Army tanks. The Lens (like the camera) is all metal, very small not quite 3" in length. AF is very smooth and the zoom is manual via turning a ring on the lens with absolutely no slippage. Unlike most of the Oly lens, the Panasonic comes with a case and a very useful petal style lens shade. Olympus should not charge extra for a lens case or a much needed Lens shade for their high end expensive lenses, are you listening Olympus?

Best F stop range is 3.5 to 8 for absolute sharp photos from center to corners. Bokah is very good for the 2.8 f stop range. No noticable distortion from 24mm to 70mm blown up to 8x10, will try bigger sizes photos down the road but most photos are printed 5x7, and most people print 4x6 anyway. Very lightweight for an all metal lens with 14 extremely excellent pieces of glass inside and very easy to handle with the larger micro 4/3 cameras and has in-lens IS, which is not needed with the Oly OMD E-5, but yes on other brands. Note it has an on off switch on the lens for the IS. The lens may ba a little front heavy for the smaller micro 4/3 cameras.

I have been into photography as a hobby with my first kodak brownie camera as a young child.
Previously 35mm film Nikon F4s (a rather large but excellent camers which I still have) and my Contax G2 were the constant companions. My favorite combination now is the Panny 12-35mm lens, coupled with the Olympus OMD Digital Camera. The OMD E-5 is one great little camera that I cannot find much fault with and a carry around always now. My next lens purchase, once the reviews are all in or if I can borrow it from my photog friend will be the Panasonic 35-100mm f2.8. Panny, where is this lens, been waiting since the announcement in May?? I think that will be the only other lens I will need for the present time. Either buy the lens and camera combo (or any of the other micro 4/3 cameras) or rent it to try it out, you will love the light weight and the outstanding performance of the panny - omd combination.

UPDATE: Enlarged some photos to 11x14 and still perfectly clear with no loss of clarity.
Tried the Child photo sub-set of 'SCN' function and it worked perfectly, capturing my 2 year old, very active nephew as if he was standing still. The more I use this lens camera combination the better I like it! Have not been this excited over a camera lens combo since my beloved Contax G-2.
Amazingly 13 people have reviewed this lens and almost all gave it 5 star rating!! UPDATE: 13 reviews now: score 11 gave 5 star, 2 gave 4 star, perhaps once they have more time with the lens will change to 5 star.
The Lens is just super, does what it is supposed to do and although some think it may be pricey, it is cheaper than its DSLR counterparts, lighter and performs just as well.

Further update: Have had the lens and om-d camera for months now and love it as much as my film Contax G-2. Am constantly learning more and more about it via trial and error. My only two complaints are: 1. The user manual is nothing more than a very short, un-imaginative and poorly written waste of paper. There is not even a good instruction telling one to take off certain pieces of the supplied flash in order to attach it to the camera, really no excuse for this. 2: The Flash is not that great and does not fire all the time, unless I am doing something wrong? Of course if anyone knows a solution to my dilemma please contact me, would also like to know if anyone knows of a good smallish replacement flash that they have used.
Am hoping that David Busch or someone will come out with a very complete substitute user guide/manual that will explain in detail all the features and how to use them properly, especially the flash, or recommendations for a replacement flash that is not bigger than the camera itself.
Am also waiting for the just announced (finally), and a little pricy at $1,500 35-100mm Panny lens to be released. My 12-35 lens came directly from Japan and was a couple of hundred less than here in the states. WIll probably go the same route for the new lens when available sometime in Dec or Jan. While I like the 12-35 totally, sometimes I want just a little further reach. Note that the new 35-100 is 3.9 inches in lenght.
Other than that the camera lens combo is top notch!
Good Luck and Good Shooting.
Last Update 12-22-12: Well since we apparantly made it past the hyped Mayan Doomsday I am here to report that I have tested the 35-100mm Panny lens. It is superb giving me a reach of 70-200mm and when I put the OMD-5 on the extra built in zoom I get a very clear 140-400mm zoom, absolutely amazing.
The new book just out by David Busch on the OMD is also something that should be ordered with the camera lens combination. As I stated previously the OMD owners manual is nothing but a waste of paper. Cannot believe that Olympus put out a great camera with the worse owners manual I have ever experienced?
Still have not found out much about a flash unit that is smaller than the camera and better than the flash unit that came with it, the only use for the included flash unit is very close up fill in flash.

[Add comment]