5.0 out of 5 stars Holy Crap this card is FAST!, August 27, 2008
This review is from: SanDisk SDSDQY-8192-A11M 8GB Mobile Ultra Micro SDHC Card (Black) (Personal Computers)
I ordered this micro SDHC card for a Nokia E71 phone. I don't have the phone yet, but I decided to try it as an 'SSD' (solid-state disk) on my Windows XP laptop (Lenovo T61).

Suffice it to say, this is the fastest SDHC card I have ever tested! I've seen other cards that are a bit faster, but I was especially not expecting this tiny thumbnail of a micro-SDHC card to be this fast. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase this card if looking for an 8GB micro SDHC card.

Test Setup:
-Tested with provided USB adapter (it's so cute and tiny!)
-Tested with Delkin Expresscard/34 memory card reader (rated at 15MB/sec)... although Expresscard slots have a LOT higher theoretical speed

Speed Results:
* HD Tach (3.0.4), 19-20 MB/sec
* results were the same for USB or Expresscard adapter

In short, I am VERY happy this purchase. There are a few slightly cheaper micro SDHC cards, but this blew me away! I can't wait to see how it works in my phone.

I'm also 'testing' it as a secondary-drive in the laptop, running from the Expresscard/34 adapter. I've loaded some basic apps, to help speed up my boot times a bit (no data/results yet). The only 'primary' app I've loaded to the card is Firefox 3.0.1, and it runs decently fast. I think the internal SATA drive is a bit faster... plus the SATA drive has a buffer, so it can cache data, where the microSDHC card doesn't really do that. But since the memory card has ~1.0-1.6 ms access times, it speeds some random-read performance.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 1, 2008 11:16:34 AM PDT
I need this card for an expansion slot on a sandisk fuse MP3. I wonder if it makes any real difference in that application. I don't really care if its a bit slower when writing to the card from the computer. What I am concerned about is the recharge/refresh speed and access speed to songs once in the MP3. Some reviewers have noted that the fuse takes a long time to boot up and "refresh" from the card and it must do this everytime you turn it off and then back on. If there isn't a significant speed difference for that aspect of things, the increased cost isn't worth it to me. Any thoughts?

Posted on Nov 26, 2008 12:05:58 PM PST
D2-X says:
Hi Kairyl A. Ikbal, I want to know if it woks with your E71?? i have one to and I'm looking for a MicroSD but I'm not decided yet. Sorry for my english...

Posted on Aug 16, 2009 3:53:04 PM PDT
Thomas S. says:
Good to know it works... whats amazing though is that the entire product description, including the product video make no mention of the USB adapter as a "USB" adapter. Are they just avoiding paying a license fee for the use fo the term "USB" or are they that stupid to not provide any picture of the adapters business end or describing HOW it interfaces with the computer? If it wasn't for reviews saying it was a USB device, I'd have to assume it could be some other type of interface.

Posted on Jan 19, 2011 11:20:59 AM PST
Thanks nemeo! Great review. I'm looking for an SD card for my E71, and now I know this is a good buy.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›