1.0 out of 5 stars Great show, overpriced and made on inferior quality dvd's, just not worth the money., November 10, 2013
This review is from: Maverick: The Complete Third Season (DVD)
The review is not for Maverick which I love. The review is for the way the series is being distributed. On Demand, and DVD-R burned discs. These discs only last up to 10 years,and in some cases 2 to 5 years. And, for the price they are asking the fans deserve better. The pressed discs in which the prior seasons were offered last up to 100 years. And the price was less. Though DVD-rot is a concern with pressed discs.

I love this show, but the price and the format of the dvd's will prevent me from buying this set. I can watch and burn my own off of the westerns channel on Encore for a whole lot less,and the discs will last the same amount of time. True, I won't get the fancy box, but I can live without that for the price difference.

Ralph.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2013 8:25:20 AM PST
Where did you get this 10 years myth? They have only been releasing Quality made Mod discs for 4 and 1/2 years and all those discs I have still play perfectly. No disc will last forever and there is no difference in the quality between pressed and Mod and absolutely nothing to support they will last less than pressed DVD. With the pressed DVD's we only get a season every 12-14 months so sometime in 2016 we would have all 5 seaons, with Mod we will now have all 5 seasons by the end of next year. Happy for the faster Mod releases with the same great quality. Don't believe the ridiculous urban legends. The price will always come down later and be on sale.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2013 1:31:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2013 1:32:08 PM PST
With all due respect, burned DVD's are said to only last 10 years. Pressed DVD's are supposed to last 100 years. I have read this on a number of sites regarding DVD quality and DVD burning etc. There is a huge quality of material difference between pressed and burned dvd's. MOD disks are burned. True MOD has only been around a short time, burning DVD's has been around for more than 10 years. While I have not been able to test the theory as a flood destroyed all of my burned DVD's before I got to test it. I had actually planned on testing it out once my burned DVD's had turned 10. But, then DVD recorders that record off of TV have not quite been around 10 years yet. Though, they are already being phased out. My history is that I am a huge DVD collector, I had over 5,000, due to the flood I am down to 2, 600. And, to be honest that is up substantially from what I had after the flood. I replaced a lot last year during black friday. As, I hope to this year. Before that I had thousands of video tapes both beta and VHS. When they were phased out, I started over collecting DVD's. This is my hobby. I understand your skepticism, I too wonder about the validity of the claim, which is why I had planned to test the 10 year theory. But, until better proven information comes along, I will stand by the 10 year limit on burned dvd's. I just have to wait 10 more years before I can test it.

Here's a web site that gives burned DVD's a 2 to 5 year lifespan. There are many others out there that will validate my statement.

Have a great day.
Ralph.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2013 8:07:15 AM PST
Yankee Mike says:
Not that I am an expert but I have had DVD recorders since late 2003 and I just played a disc of a sporting event I recorded in July of 2004 and I really could not see any signs of the picture degrading.. Maybe the loss of picture quality has to do with the quality of the DVD-R disc itself. I have always used name brand DVDs.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2013 7:35:09 AM PST
P. A. Bird says:
The first dvds I burned were on a cheap brand and by 6 years later I would say 1 in 5 failed, but of the top brands which I subsequently used not 1 has failed yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2013 6:47:34 AM PST
Oh. the life of dvd, definitely has to do with the quality of the dvd. The cheaper the DVD, the cheaper the dyes used to make it.

Ralph

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2013 12:48:29 PM PST
I have hundred's of burned dvd's from 12 years ago and as I used a decent make I can honestly say that as yet I have had no failures. Each time I go back they play perfectly. Store them correctly and there should not be a problem. I have purchased many MOD Dvd's and have had no problems. I ignore the myths and go along with the facts that are thus far proving they last !

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2013 12:44:08 PM PST
Are you also aware that the MOD dvds are made on 4.7 gig disks and the pressed dvd's are made on 8.5 or dual layer dvd's? Thus reducing the quality of the picture as they squeeze 4 episodes of the series or 2 hours of a movie into half of the space they use for the pressed dvds.

Ralph

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2013 10:39:05 PM PST
I use Dual layer DVD for my dvd collection and can honestly say series I personally recorded 12 years ago are still perfect and as good in picture quality as a released DVD for myself. A dual layer stores double the recording time and I use only HQ speed. Dual layer is easily available to purchase so that for me is as good as pressed DVD'S ( 8.5 storage ) as for the WB release as yet , and I have purchased many, I have had no problems and am satisfied.

Posted on Jan 9, 2014 7:22:50 PM PST
R. Gallagher says:
The Season Three set is not on DVD-R. The initial run, which is still available, is on pressed discs. Eventually they will probably be done on DVD-R, but not until the initial run is sold out. The list of Warner Archive pressed discs (which Warner Archive refers to as "replicated discs) is available here:

Posted on Feb 22, 2014 6:03:46 PM PST
I have seasons 1 and 2. They are great!! Not going to buy season 3 because of the DVR-R. What a ripoff. Everyone don't buy season 3. Maybe they will get the picture.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (99 customer reviews)

$47.99 $36.99