5.0 out of 5 stars The basics, March 1, 2013
This review is from: Onkyo HT-S3500 660 Watt 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker/Receiver Package (Electronics)
THE SPEAKERS:

This system sounds good and it has 5 speakers and 1 sub woofer. Hence 5.1 home theater system. The 5 stands for the amount of speakers and the .1 stands for the sub woofer. The front, surround and center speaker are about 6-7" big and the sub woofer is a big box looking thing about 1 1/2ft. on all sides. This system comes with its own speaker wire too but it's very thin. I suggest picking up 16 gauge speaker wire for it. The smaller the gauge the wire is the thicker it is. Do not buy higher than 14 gauge wire because if you do it will not fit into the clips properly. Also 16 gauge is more than enough for most situations unless you have a ginormous room and I'm talking gymnasium big. If you have a small room around 15-20ft. by 15-20ft. A 100ft. spool of wire should suffice. Make sure to measure the amount of wire you need 1st though before you buy it if that's possible. The speaker wire that comes with it is color coded so it is extremely easy to hook the speakers up to the right clips. If you order your own wire it will be a bit more confusing to hook up because the wire will be a different color. The length of the wire that comes with is as follows: 10ft. front speaker wire for ea. speaker, 10ft center speaker wire, 26ft. surround speaker wire and 10ft. wire for sub woofer. It has 2 extra speaker hook ups for another room. These are for the channel B speakers that do not come with the system. Channel A is the 5.1 channel speakers. Meaning if you have 2 extra speakers and you hook them up to the front B clips on the back you can listen to this system in a different room using channel B. Keep this system on channel A if you do not have these extra speakers as it will degrade your sound quality if you don't.

THE CONNECTIONS:

It has 4 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output, 2 component video in, 1 Component video out, 4 AV in, 1 AV out, 1 AV audio from TV in, a monitor out coaxial whatever that is..., a R1 remote control hook up again unknown to me..., A.M. and F.M. radio antenna hook ups with the antenna wires, 2 digital audio optic in, 1 digital audio coaxial in, a USB port, and the speaker clips for channel A speakers (12 clips) and front channel B speakers (4 clips).
The component connections on this device are video only. If your hooking a component device/ system into your TV you can still listen to its audio on this home theater system if you have a digital audio coaxial or digital audio optic cable that can hook up to both your TV and this system.
I love this system for the amount of connections it has. You can also hook up a MP3 player I-phone or I-pod device that has music on it and listen to your music using a USB cable on this home theater system. You can also hook headphones up to it if you want to listen quietly but I have yet to discover what kind of head phones to use with it as the head phone jack is big. Bigger than a ear buds plug in. It will take some time getting used to all the settings and some research if your new to home theater systems but its so much better having the sound all around you than just in front. It's a great learning experience. This device is CEC or RIHD compatible if you know what that means. I prefer to keep these settings turned off though. It annoys me when I'm trying to listen to music from one device and I go to turn my TV off to listen to just the music using my home theater system and it turns my home theater system off with it...
All in all this device is definintley worth the price and I suggest that if your new to home theater system this is a good place to start. The top does get a little hot when it's in use but the manual that comes with it states that this is natural. It also states to give the system at least 20mm of breathing room and keep it in an area with good ventilation. I assume this is to keep the system cool. I use this device with my PS1, PS2, and Xbox 360. It's supposed to be 3D compatable but I would't know I don't have a 3D TV so I could not put this to the test. It works with 720p and 1080p among other resolutions. It also has an on screen setup menu using the HDMI out.

If you find this review helpful or not please vote. It took me alot of time to write this.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 4, 2013 8:45:42 PM PST
Thank you for the details Jonathan, you answered a lot of questions I had!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 10:09:56 AM PST
Jonathan says:
You are most welcome. I'm new to the whole home theater thing. Just doing the best I can to share what I've learned so far.

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 12:37:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2013 12:38:39 PM PDT
DeeJaye6 says:
Jonathan,

A *very* nice pair of headphones I can recommend that use the 1/4" plug are the Sony MDR-V6 headphones that you can still buy on Amazon. They've been out for over 25 years, and are studio-monitor quality. They have a super-long cord, and reproduce sounds in the 5 Hz to 30K Hz range. Yes, beyond normal human hearing! Last detail, these 'phones are "circumaural," meaning they go completely over your ears, and block outside noise quite nicely.

- DeeJaye6

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2013 1:17:38 AM PDT
Jonathan says:
Alright thanks. Good to know. Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones with CCAW Voice Coil

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2013 7:01:25 AM PDT
The Ben Man says:
Jon thanks this was a great help. you should work in the business.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2013 11:28:58 AM PDT
Jonathan says:
Heh, your too nice. But I appreciate the compliment. Glad I could help.

Posted on Dec 11, 2013 9:15:51 AM PST
J. Jobes says:
Hey Jonathan - I had a quick question on the comment you made about the component connections being video only. I want to run my 360 (older version) into the receiver, but is there any way to map the audio to one of the AV inputs? I am not certain that my 360 has a digital out option since it's old, but obviously I want some way to get the sound through the speakers? Are there any articles or explanations you could refer me to? This is my first home theater system and I am hoping that I can make it work!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2013 10:05:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2013 10:09:37 PM PST
Jonathan says:
O.K. this isn't exactly a simple question for me but I will answer to the best of my ability. 1st I'll post a link to onkyos site. Hopefully customer service can answer better than I can: http://forums.onkyousa.com/

The good news is that your xbox doesn't need an optical/ digital out to hook it up to the surround sound system. Also just making sure you know.. AV & Component are 2 different hook ups entirely. Component has 5 hook ups (3 are for video, 2 are for audio.) whereas AV connections have only 3 (1 video -yellow, & 2 audio -usually red & white) The system has component video only but it has all 3 AV slots (video & audio AV) Component is 480i resolution (basically 480p HD for standard TVs) where AV is like 240i... well standard TV.
So getting back to your question. As far as I know you cannot plug the component video and take the audio cables and plug them into the AV audio in slots. Because they are on two different channels on the TV. Hence The AV (video) channel will have the audio and no video and the "component" channel on the TV will have the video but no audio. I tried this too when I first got it.
I will share how I have mine hooked up so I can listen to the awesome 5.1 Dolby Digital the xbox 360 is capable of. Who know maybe it will help.

O.K so here's what I did: I have an HDTV so I used an HDMI cable. Hooked my xbox up to my TV with an HD cable OR component OR AV cable. Then used a coaxial audio cable from my T.V. and hooked that up to the onkyo surround system (most modern TVs have either a coaxial audio or digital audio or both slot). The best part about using either a coaxial or digital optical audio cable is that everything I hook into the TV is automatically on the same channel on the surround system so I only have to change the TV channel to what I want and it's already in surround sound without changing anything on the surround system. Also if you have a HDTV you can just use 2 HDMI cables instead of a audio cable. Just hook the xbox into the surround system using an HDMI cable and then hook another HDMI cable from the surround systems HDMI out to the HDTV. This will require both the TV and the surround system to be on the proper channels to work. Confused yet? I know I was. I hope any of this was of help. Any more questions and I will get back to you when I check my emails.... usually once a day. usually. I had to buy some extra cables when I got this system. HDMI, coaxial etc... but it was worth it in the end. Well for me at least. sorry for the long reply just trying to help. Not sure what you have to work with cable and TV wise.

Posted on Feb 13, 2014 1:42:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2014 1:43:24 PM PST
ITGurl says:
I just got this system yesterday and set it up successfully (well, almost have to figure out why I don't have TV volume) but I want to connect my PS2 to the receiver using component cables. I have managed to get audio but no video. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Btw, the PS2 is already configured to use component and not RGB.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2014 2:16:28 PM PST
J. Jobes says:
Unfortunately, this system does not upconvert the video signals to HDMI. You'll have to connect a component>component cable between the component out on the back of the receiver (next to the two component inputs) and then run that to your TV in the component in. does that help?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›